Interesting observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took an oil sample off of a truck with 900000 miles on the engine. We are probably going to purchase this truck I had sample bottles handy and ran across it on the road so I took a sample from the port for sampling in the oil galley. The truck was running and fresh off of the road when I pulled the sample. There's no telling when the last time that sample was cracked open so the first few ounces went into a water bottle I had. I forgot to throw the bottle away and left it in my cup holder, I shook the bottle a few times and let it settle. I see little dots on the edges of the bottle after the oil drains down.

If anybody has the time and a little bit of dirty oil give it a try, may have been a few drops of water in the bottom of the bottle, it can be air bubbles water or insolubles, the dots stay suspended in the film on the side of the bottle even after long periods of time, anyways I thought it was neat

And because somebody's going to ask 10,000 miles on delvac 1 gallon of Lucas

I'm trying to talk a few guys out of it but old habits die really hard, unless my trucks are leaking I will no longer be running any additive, unless the oil pressure is low or it's making it drip on the ground from the thinner oil. Sometimes when the back cover on an engine is leaking it's not feasible to repair it until the clutch goes out when you're talking about a $4,000 repair

The Mack Truck dealership lube shop I use for oil changes actually jests when I come in if I want a gallon of Lucas Oil Snot. They know I don't want that stuff near my truck. But boy, they sure go thru pallets of the stuff. And every trucker that has been around when I am getting my oil changed jumps at putting a gallon of the whale snot in his engine. They always have some claim about their last engine went 1 million miles without a repair and it was because of LOS. Then I mention how my Cummins N-14 went to 1.4 million miles on just basic Kendall 15w40 conventional and getting 30,000 mile oil changes. No major repairs, same original turbo, only 1 injector replaced and a accessory drive seal. And went right to work for the next owner. But it was said accurately.... old habits die hard.

I'm changing 2 of 9 trucks over to schaeffer 5w40 9000 series synthetic next weekend, all of our trucks have had mystik 15-50 and I gallon of viscid lube for the last 600k1 all except for the newest 2 have over 1m miles (one has 1.4m and only 2 have been rebuilt one scored a liner it was the one I drive and I noticed increased oil consumption. The other rebuilt truck kept blowing coolant hoses, no catastrophic failures these Detroit's don't give up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back