2008 Toyota Yaris, 16500 mi on Cam 2 Semi Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst UOA I've read so far, by far.
That is a lot of miles to go on Cam2. To be fair, there could be metallurgical problems unrelated to what oil is being used.

Did the engine overheat at any point?
15.gif

The silicon is high and question mark about antifreeze as well. Maybe it's not the oil that the real problem here. Now, granted 16k miles is too long on this oil. Cam2 is a quality oil. It is not advertised or pushed as a long drain oil. 10k miles is probably the absolute longest run possible run for Cam2 in motor that is not hard on oil and sees a lot of long highway runs.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Was this an intentional run or did someone forget to change their oil?

He neglected it. Asked me when the last time he was in, I said check the sticker, but probably summer before last. Was due at 118k if I recall correctly. Ill do another analysis when he comes back in hopefully a reasonable amount of time. Interested to see how well the Cam holds up, it did well in my employees '14 Sierra 1500 for almost 8k.

Cam2 is one of those tiny motor oil labels that just buys Lubrizol/Oronite/Infineum/Afton additives and free-markets the base oils too. Not a problem really as long as quality control is there when blending!

You are correct indeed about how Cam2 gets their base oil and additive package. I highly doubt like 99.99% sure that this Cam2 oil was not out of spec when it was put in this car. This oil has been tested by PQIA and it was found to be a good product.

Last edited:
This Cam2 oil is real stout.. though it just couldn't take the 16.5K OCI.
Metal wear rate is among the worst I'd seen here .....
bearings appears having slight corossion.
Abnormal abrasive and adhesive wear could've occured on liners and valve trains .....
leading to coarser surface roughness on relevant iron component parts ........
hence calling for use of higher oil viscosity grade like high Hths Euro xW40.
I would avoid low Hths non-Euro API Sx xW30 and xW20 like a plague in this engine,
which I wouldn't be surprised that it is still in serviceable condition despite the 'damage' .
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
This Cam2 oil is real stout.. though it just couldn't take the 16.5K OCI.
Metal wear rate is among the worst I'd seen here .....
bearings appears having slight corossion.
Abnormal abrasive and adhesive wear could've occured on liners and valve trains .....
leading to coarser surface roughness on relevant iron component parts ........
hence calling for use of higher oil viscosity grade like high Hths Euro xW40.
I would avoid low Hths non-Euro API Sx xW30 and xW20 like a plague in this engine,
which I wouldn't be surprised that it is still in serviceable condition despite the 'damage' .
blush.gif

Car ran and idled fine with no abnormal noises or tapping, both before and after the oil change. Well see what the next analysis says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back