Anyone here fully recover from CHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here improve or fully recover from Congestive Heart Failure? I just spent 9 days in the hospital with doctors telling me they may move me to Tufts medical center and put me on a heart transplant list because I have a refraction rate of 10%! Normal heart is 70% refraction. Means its barely beating enough to keep me alive. Huh? What? All this is a shock, haven't been to the doctors in maybe 20 years. Never get sick. And there I was with a horrible cough struggling to breathe in the ER. It felt like I was drowning. And chest pains as I bloated..

I turned 54 Jan 5 in the hospital. Had not been to the doctor in 20 years, never sick (I know, I know). Was leading a normal life, full of daily physical work tinkering under the hood, landscaping, walking, lifting weights, etc. Worked out and ate healthy most of my adult life. At 5'9" I try to stay under 200. But suddenly I was 216 and my stomach was like a rock. Not hungry. Not thirsty. My feet got huge. Then my legs and knees. Then it got hard to breathe. I thought I'm just gonna wait till after Christmas.. I waited.. Up all night cause i can't lie down. My weight surged so i stopped eating thinking I was getting fat. then I couldn't breathe lying down. All symptoms.. Finally my GF said thats it were going to the ER right now. They snatched me out of the ER waiting room cause I was passing out. Doctors said she saved my life.

My BP was through the roof.. 160 over something.. Partly cause I was scared as heck.. They gave me a battery of tests.. A cardio cath shows my arteries as "squeaky clean". Random drinking, liver and kidneys tested good. Quit smoking a year ago after 10-15 years of 1/2 pack a day. Had a cough for a month, turns out its another symptom. Thought it was allergies or my lungs cleaning out. Then suddenly everyone wearing a mask, why? I was diagnosed with the flu in addition to CHF. Never had the flu before in my life. So I was really bad, I could see it in the doctors eyes.. They put me on all kinds of meds lowering my BP so much I could barely move or remember anything. 60/X hard to remember. I couldn't sit up, exhausting. I remember family in masks crying. They gave Viral meds to contain flu. Then lasics to remove fluid. 23lbs was gone in 4 days! Then they cut the BP meds in half, and to this day I'm under 120/75 avg. Was up and walking after 5 days. Doctors kept saying no, they were liable. Finally they said go ahead and were very surprised I felt so good that fast.

I'm home exercising and feel fine. Best I've felt in a few years. Can breathe perfectly. My GF is scared to death watching me lift light weights in the basement. Have a stress test tomorrow to see if I'm ok for some kind of cardio rehab. I think I am. I saw the Ultra scan of my heart barely beating. 3 different Cardio doctors confirmed the refraction rate. I know I was dying in hindsight. But here I am at home almost 2 weeks after release and I feel fantastic. 193lbs. But... My toes lose circulation and go white if i stay up too long. So thats clearly telling me to watch out, this wasn't a dream its real.

Anyone else out there have a similar experience? I'm wondering what my future is going to be like.

I have no first hand experience, other than hearing my wife and sister in law talk. They both work in Cardiology, and deal with transplants and VADs. So I hear a lot of success, and failure, stories. So take this for what it's worth, I don't pretend to be a medical person.

When I read your post, I felt a little bit like you are trying to tell yourself that you are recovering and will be fine. Just like you always were. Don't go down that path. I'm sure they told you things about managing your weight, diet, regular Dr. appointments, etc. Do them. You will be battling this for the rest of your life. I hope that's not too harsh, but it's something that my wife and SIL have discussed frequently. People who return to their prior lifestyles and relapse. It's a real risk.

Best of luck in your recovery!

Last edited:
Glad you are improving.
I have not had anything like that. Lifting weights is pretty intense, I would get a stationary bicycle and go easy.
Check with the Doctor.

Your lady saved your life.

Last edited:
Diet and Exercise play a HUGE part in this. Don't just rely on what the pill pushers give you. Obviously, you will always require some sort of diuretic, but even taking a diuretic every day and BP medicine, you will have a greater quality of life if you diet and eat healthy. You may even be able to get off the BP medicine eventually!

I started to go down that path at 23. Apparently it really can happen to young people. Quite scary. Occasionally, I will have issues breathing while laying down.

I have to seriously watch sodium. Very sensitive to it.

About 25 years ago my sister was dating a guy with the same problem and he passed away in his 40's.
Basically the guy's heart aged to the point of a 90 year old person.

Glad you are feeling better and out of the hospital.

Good luck to you! I just turned 54 last week.

No male on my father's side has lived past 63. All died from heart disease.

I need to drop 20 lbs.

My stress tests are normal. Hope yours is too!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Diet and Exercise play a HUGE part in this. Don't just rely on what the pill pushers give you. Obviously, you will always require some sort of diuretic, but even taking a diuretic every day and BP medicine, you will have a greater quality of life if you diet and eat healthy. You may even be able to get off the BP medicine eventually!

I started to go down that path at 23. Apparently it really can happen to young people. Quite scary. Occasionally, I will have issues breathing while laying down.

I have to seriously watch sodium. Very sensitive to it.

They told me no more than 2k sodium a day and 64oz of water. I only shook salt on corn and french fries so I'm not missing the shaker. But I'm taking a crash course on how much salt is in an American diet. From Cereal, bread, juice, it all adds up. And for now gotta measure my pee. Never knew my BP, checking it 2x a day now. 6 pills in the morning, 4 at night. Never did any of this, now I have a 3 ring binder keeping stats. No beer for now lol.

That is one of the biggest eye openers of the whole ordeal. I never realized how much sodium is in our diet - even if you eat "healthy", there is just so much sodium in our foods that it's extremely hard to keep it under 2k. I'm supposed to shoot for 1800-2000 a day. Even cheese has some in it!

I basically drink water and tea and occasionally coffee (I know, not supposed to). If I'm out on the trail I'll bring some powerades because I just get so dehydrated. But that doesn't seem to affect me since I sweat it all out or breathed it all out.

Very little eating out for me. No prepared / premade foods.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Good luck to you! I just turned 54 last week.

No male on my father's side has lived past 63. All died from heart disease.

I need to drop 20 lbs.

My stress tests are normal. Hope yours is too!

Thanks. Happy belated Birthday! They really don't have they "why" after my cardio cath for blockage came back negative and my colesterol is very good. They were wondering if it was a virus, no way I had the flu that long. My hope is the next refraction text will be 20-30% because when they did the test I was still bloated and my chest was so tight with fluid I couldn't breathe. Would think my heart was struggling to beat being so tight in chest. Feels great now.

Glad you're getting better. I'm going to show this thread to my wife tonight when she gets home and see what she says. 10 year cardiac nurse.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
That is one of the biggest eye openers of the whole ordeal. I never realized how much sodium is in our diet - even if you eat "healthy", there is just so much sodium in our foods that it's extremely hard to keep it under 2k. I'm supposed to shoot for 1800-2000 a day. Even cheese has some in it!

I basically drink water and tea and occasionally coffee (I know, not supposed to). If I'm out on the trail I'll bring some powerades because I just get so dehydrated. But that doesn't seem to affect me since I sweat it all out or breathed it all out.

Very little eating out for me. No prepared / premade foods.

How often do you get a refraction test? Have you seen any change over time?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Glad you're getting better. I'm going to show this thread to my wife tonight when she gets home and see what she says. 10 year cardiac nurse.

Awesome! Thanks!

Good luck to you. Follow your doctor's advice with regards to exercise.

Everyone should be getting annual physicals. They're free for most people with insurance.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Good luck to you. Follow your doctor's advice with regards to exercise.

Everyone should be getting annual physicals. They're free for most people with insurance.

I thought they were mandatory free now. Point still stands. I wanted to be like every 5 in 20's, maybe every 2 in my 30's. Too bad I crossed into 40 now, and so... hate to admit it, but yearly probably isn't such a bad idea any more. Too bad they can't roll that into a visit for any other reason (cough that won't go away, flue, broken bone, etc). For the most part they collect most of the same info save any scheduled testing (PSA, prostate, those sorts of things which aren't done every time).

OP, hope you the best. Sounds pretty scary.

Everybody is different and sensitive to certain things and various conditions. Id suspect that smoking correlates somehow, but not sure how and if quitting has made a difference one way or another (loss of some chemical, even if net result is good, could be an issue... who knows?).

Glad she took you in. Glad she's watching you.

My only experience is a grandparent who was more or less done for, then came out of it and lived well for another many years.

My grandparents also knew a lady with horribly swollen legs, apparently due to this, who lived with it for many, many years.

Hopefully at 54, youre young enough to rebound and heal some.

Good luck!

Good luck to you, for a very strict diet, proper drugs/counseling and exercise program is your only sustainable medicine. If you don't follow it, you're going to die.... sooner than later.

You need to begin a new life doing / eating / drinking things and medications that you probably disliked and despised in the past. A good start is a better attitude to accept what's coming and what's coming in various therapies is for your own good.

Accept them with a smile on your face...... then live longer as a reward.

Good luck. Age 54 is a good place to flip the switch to a much healthier diet and lifestyle. I did it at age 55 and didn't realize how easy it could be just taking it a month at a time. Was on BP and Asthma meds for 7 years. After 10 months on my new diet and exercise regimen I dropped 50 lbs and all the meds. The asthma was gone as were the annual attacks of bronchitis, flus, etc. I can only assume that for years my immune system was compromised from all sides. Haven't been really sick in 7 years now.

Get rid of lousy foods that do nothing for you and replace them one by one with those that have a "purpose." If you can't figure out the benefit of eating something, it's probably not worth eating. Over a course of a few years I read a couple dozen books on nutrition, heart disease, cancers, health studies, etc. to figure things out. One I'd recommend is Dr. William Sears "Prime Time Health," geared toward us older folks.

You'll find plenty of information below on what's best. What's interesting about the medical profession is that things are ever-changing. A large percentage of what our doctors tell us to do today, will be proven to be wrong 20-30 years down the road.

Nutrition Facts

If the heart is not pumping sufficiently, the kidneys lose efficiency and water backs up into your legs and the cavity around your lungs, causing shortness of breath. Did the doctors say what was causing your low refraction rate? If it is from leaky valves of a hole in the heart, these can possibly be cured by surgery.

I am not a doctor, but my wife had CHF caused by severely leaking heart valves. Unfortunately they could not operate on her due to a heavily calcified aorta cause by radiation treatments for Hodgkin's back in her 20s. The radiation, which was not as sophisticated back then as it I today, essentially fried her heart valves and scared her lungs. At least it cured her Hodgkin's and gave her another 46 years of life.

Depending of the underlying cause, CHF can be treated. You need to learn as much from your doctors as possible to explore treatment options. Also ask if you should be putting strain on your heart from the exercise.

Tom NJ/VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back