Crank Pulley Bolt Torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spec is 159 ft-lbs for my 99 Avalon V6. Best I can do without buying or making more tools is 130. Please help me pick the right choice:

A. Ok to drive 5 miles to shop where they can properly torque.

B. Don't trust shop (they will just impact the [censored] out of it). Buy/make proper tools and do it right myself.

C. Don't worry about it. Ain't never gonna back-out with 130 ft-lbs on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you can't get it any tighter by yourself, I'd be tempted to grab the nearest airgun and give it 3 or 4 'Daka dakka's' to be sure it won't back out.

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you can't get it any tighter by yourself, I'd be tempted to grab the nearest airgun and give it 3 or 4 'Daka dakka's' to be sure it won't back out.

I was about to suggest giving it a few "Ugga Duggas," but Daka Dakkas are an OK substitute.

I did what the 2 people above me suggested. That wa on Jan 1, and so far so good. Having said that C is probably an OK choice since these things seem to get tighter over time anyway.

Originally Posted By: Olas

My air impact maxes out around 130.

You can always rent a torque wrench from the auto parts store. Also I think torque specs are usually for threads that are dry unless specified. If you lube the threads of the bolt you should torque it to 20% less than the dry torque spec. 20% less is a general rule of thumb. So if you can torque it to 130 ftlb with lubed threads you should be good.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Dont leave it loose. If it comes loose it will destroy the crank. If it was mine i would hit it with my impact like already stated.

I did hit it with my impact. That's how I got to 130.

If it's a manual car put in 5th and set the brakes. If it's an automatic car you can jam the engine with rope in a cylinder. Then wail on that bolt with a breaker bar. Very hard to overtighten these. Like Chris142 said, too loose is inviting it to come off, which will cause major damage.

Since you tightened it with your impact, I am assuming that you do not own the proper pulley holder?

You have to be careful with assuming that hitting the bolt with your impact yielded the maximum rated torque. Those figures are heavily dependent upon the air supply and the health of the gun. It is definitely not a reliable way to tighten something.

I would buy the proper holding tool (they aren't expensive on tooltopia) and get a HF torque wrench that goes up to 150. Then give it an extra bit of tightening using a breaker bar.

Very bad assumption that the 130lbft impact gun got it to 130lbft.

Which impact is it?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Since you tightened it with your impact, I am assuming that you do not own the proper pulley holder?

Not all pulley's have a spot for you to put in a holder. When I searched the internet earlier this year on how to do this, most people just seemed to be tightening it with their impact gun.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Very bad assumption that the 130lbft impact gun got it to 130lbft.

Which impact is it?

Right, I estimated by gunning a similar size bolt and checking it with my torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Not all pulley's have a spot for you to put in a holder. When I searched the internet earlier this year on how to do this, most people just seemed to be tightening it with their impact gun.

Right, except I just got an estimate from my local machine shop to drill holes in some 3/16" steel stock I have. For $25 I will have a super holder for the harmonic balancer.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

That is possible, but I do own the tool for this particular engine so I know it exists.

Depends. If you drive easy and keep it under 3000rpm's, no worries. If you're on it all the time and burn it up at 6500, better have it tight.

I'd just give it a good twist (once the pulley is held in place). Ever tighten a lug to 90ft-lb? Double the effort. It's not a rod bolt, after all.

I have to wonder if the 130ft-lb impact would get there, eventually, if you left it on there for a minute. The constant hammering ought to slowly eek it upwards, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back