Subaru Forester XT PCV Valve @ 60k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took my Forester XT in for a 60kmile servicing and made sure to ask if the PCV valve would be replaced, and I was assured that was part of the service. I noticed on the dealer's service schedule that this valve would be replaced "if applicable" and forgot to ask what this meant, given that it should be standard item on any reasonably modern Subaru.
After I got my car back, I noticed that there was no charge for the PCV valve in my paperwork. I called the dealer back and was told that Subaru designated the PCV valve as a lifetime part that never needed to be changed. I started getting angry and pointed out that their own schedule said it should be changed at 60k, at which point the advisor brought up the "if applicable" verbiage and informed me that they replaced it in NA cars "because it's right there" but they did not do so in turbos because it was too much work (not applicable). I brought up my conversation before bringing the car in and the advisor claimed that somebody else must have told me that, although I knew it was the same guy. I didn't get anything about changing the PCV valve in writing, which was not smart on my end.
I would rather not ever deal with this dealer again and am not planning to escalate this issue there, but I am still worried about the PCV valve. I have no noticeable oil consumption and have no particular reason to suspect my car is getting sludged up, but I sure don't want to have to deal with either problem in the future due to incomplete maintenance. I poked around online to see what was involved in replacing the PCV valve in a Forester XT and it looks like older models required the intercooler to be removed, but I'm not sure yet if this is still the case in a '14 FXT with the newer 2.0l engine.
So, just wondering if anybody has tackled this job in a newer Forester XT and how users here view the "threat level" of a PCV valve with over 60kmiles in this car. Thanks in advance for any input.

If it ain't broke they won't fix it - to dealership staff all customers are stupid moaning complainers who know nothing about cars, so they do what they think is best.

I guess that's why they drive the vehicles off the rack without filling them back up with oil
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I guess that's why they drive the vehicles off the rack without filling them back up with oil
mad.gif

That's more like forgetfulness. No more acceptable, but not deliberate or malicious. In their defence, The customer requested it but the trained & qualified tech saw "if applicable" on his job sheet. If its not broken it's not applicable for remove&replace.

Service Advisor should have done a better job explaining/clarifying.

I would have changed the PCV valve simply to keep you happy and in control of your PM $$$ you are putting into your vehicle.

I agree with you 100%.

I have my own PCV to do on my Fit. It is getting a new one weather it is needed or not.

If a customer is able to PM and renew their rides components here and there it keeps the person happy and in that car. Cars are VERY expensive today.

When I do my coolant, yes, I will change the Thermostat, weather it "needs" it or not. And an OEM Honda one will go in to replace the probably 100% working Thermostat that is in there now with 90,000 kms on it.

I am going for a valve lash adjustment in a couple weeks. I will probably do my Upstream O2 and the Coil Packs are purchased cheap, and it is all accessible once the upper and lower cowl is removed for access to the valve cover.

It is called peace of mind, and for this I gladly pay. Or I will do it myself.

If all Service Advisors had clients like you what an easy life that would be. And this is 100% the reason there are 15-20 year old Hondas and Toyotas on the road today.

If you look at what a car payment is, if you have a S.A. that can help you package deal all your PM stuff, stick with the S.A. you trust and never leave.

I don't see what's the big deal here. The replacement of the PCV on my Mazda 3 requires intake manifold removal. The car has over 140k miles with the original PCV. There is no oil consumption, so why would I risk messing something up during the intake manifold removal, for a $5 part that is working properly?

The same I would ask in this situation. Why risk something being messed up during the intercooler and other component removal, just to change a few dollar part that appears to be working correctly? To satisfy an arbitrary service recommendation? Is that same recommendation repeated in the owner's manual?

In applications where the PCV is easily accessible, I agree with changing it proactively, but in cases where important components need to be removed, just to gain access, I would leave it alone.

Virtus_Probi,

Yes, the PCV valve is under the intercooler. It is not very involved. You can use Moroso's guide in installing their oil catch can to gain access to the PCV valve. This is on a 2015 WRX. Should be exactly the same on a 2014 XT, same engine anyway.

You can download the instructions from subiespeed. Click additional, just below description and click "here" next to download.

http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx...rx#.WIDEPctOnqA

It was not mentioned in the manual, the tightening torque for the hose clamps for the inlet and outlet of the intercooler in 2.2 lbs. ft.

Hope this helps you out.

I'd like to note that if you go to a great dealer with great Mechanics with years of experience on that brand all this PM stuff is very easy and fast for them to do.

If you think something is a "big deal" you should see a 15 year Mechanic can do for you on your car in 1 hour labour time.

You would be, frankly, amazed.

You want it done to make you happy, demand it.

What would be wrong with a PCV "system" on a '14 Subaru? They are an anti- backfire pellet and an orifice on a NA engine. IDK what it would be on a turbo that may run for a good time with NO VACUUM in the intake.
I'm going to look that up.
On the other hand in my dreary service adventures, I requested "strongly" that Toyota service bleed my braking system on my yaris as it felt like there was air in the system (low pedal, spongy). they did not do the requested service saying Toyota dissalowed bleeding brakes and instead pulled up the rear adjuster causing my rears to lock. The brake issue appeared a few month after toy service replaced a front wheel bearing that went out commuting to work in -17 degree F weather.

Last Toyota I will buy - they are absolutely MORONIC at Toyota corporate and in the service center. Just one of many declined service issues of severe safety and warranty claims. Just like GM of old.

Thanks for all the input, I have some thinking to do about my next step. I particularly appreciate the links showing the location of the PCV valve in my vehicle. The 2014+ XT PCV valve is one of the very few parts on the online Subaru parts source that I like that does not have a diagram showing the location!

I am a little intimidated by the intercooler after seeing for myself how delicate the vanes in that thing are. The dealer that pulled the switcheroo on me is quite a ways out of my way and I think I am just plain done with them now given that it is a big enough hassle to have them do the work in the first place, much less for return visits to handle things they skipped. The closest dealer to me had enough trouble with oil changes, although I did have them do recall work about 20kmiles ago because I was too busy to think about going elsewhere.
There is an independent Subie guy local to me who has a good reputation, although I have not used him yet. I guess it will either be me growing a pair and taking that intercooler off this summer or trying this guy out, as I am not inclined to just leave it as is for too long.

Last edited:
Its a piece of cake that takes a few min, nothing involved about it. Remove the cooler and put it cardboard while you remove the valve, use a deep socket on the PCV.
Don't be afraid of this one, it sounds worse than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back