2006 Toyota Avalon replacement headlight lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM lense/covers have faded and renewing doesn't last long. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket brand as replacement? The OEM's are too expensive, and from reading up on aftermarket lenses, some leak and allow water in or don't fit properly. My owners manual states either halogen or HID bulbs were available in 2006 but I don't know which type are in my car, and to not try replacing them and to take the car to a dealer for bulb replacement. Suggestions are appreciated.

I know Sams club warranties the renewal for several years. I would have them do the job and if it degrades let them repeat. Walmart now does it too.

Have the head lights polished then sealed with some clear coat which should last years. Phillips has a good headlight kit which comes with clear for protection. Avail on Amazon for $20.

Its not that high priced anymore. Had it done to my Mothers old van and came out pretty good. Will see what they look like in the spring when they get back from Texas

Thanks all. I made an appointment at Sam's for Monday to have the headlights renewed. We'll see how they turn out and I'll get back to you. $31.00 plus tax.

Non OEM housings are pretty sub par. If you must go aftermarket, try TYC CAPA certified housings.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The OEM's are too expensive, and from reading up on aftermarket lenses, some leak and allow water in or don't fit properly.

This is a theme that I think you'd find to be pretty universal. The OEM units undergo all sorts of testing from salt/corrosion resistance durability to mechanical durability to optical durability, etc. Aftermarket units are, at best, reverse-engineered copies of the original housing, and they often undergo none of that type of testing. Leaking housings and/or poor optics are commonplace in the aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Thanks all. I made an appointment at Sam's for Monday to have the headlights renewed. We'll see how they turn out and I'll get back to you. $31.00 plus tax.

Great, please post back with the results and maybe even pictures. Thank you.

I went to Sam's this morning and was told they needed to see the headlights before beginning the work to evaluate if mine would be a good 'candidate' for restoration. I give them the key fob and the 'service' guy returns 10 minutes later and tells me the 'technician' thinks mine wouldn't be a good 'candidate' for their restoration process. The 'service' guy said my lenses weren't degraded enough and the 'technician' felt the process would leave scratches on the lens/covers on sections that weren't degraded enough.
crazy2.gif
I rolled my eyes and thanked them and left. I came home and used my Meguiar's PlastiX on them. The search continues.

That's funny. Sounds like they don't want to touch it unless it's completely gone.

It is true somewhat about what they said, as sanding it will remove any remaining factory UV coating and will cause it to haze faster even with the spray on UV coating they probably use. The oem UV coatings are much better than anything you can apply at home

This actually makes pretty good sense. Unless the coating is in pretty bad shape, why would you want to remove it completely? If it is in reasonably good condition, just polish and wax it and call it a day.

My philosophy is to leave the working things alone and only fix the stuff which is broken and needs to be fixed. This goes double when you have to make it worse in the process of making it better aka grinding the lenses etc.

I used Off bug spray on my Camry's headlights. Worked fantastic and lasted over a year.

Here's the link to my post.

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back