Bad o-ring on Carquest cartridge filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to see what the oil and filter looked like on a new-to-me 2009 BMW X5 3.0i.
Filter didn't look too bad(other than tufts of media on the inside), but the o-rings were really hard/brittle.
So, I had a new filter and decided to go ahead and change now. When I tried to remove the o-rings the small one was so brittle that it basically disintegrated.
Has anyone had that experience with Carquest, or any other cartridges?
I am wondering if this o-ring hadn't been replaced for several OCI.
Another weird thing - every image I find on the inter webs shows a completely different design for this part number. So, I am wondering how long it has been in this car!

Made in China. What could go wrong?
21.gif

Hard to say how long that filter was on there, and if the O-ring was ever swapped out during filter changes. Nitrile O-rings can't take lots of heat for long periods of time.

"Completely different" oil filter designs?
Were you looking at mere "catalog pictures"....you know, the ones which say, "image is for reference only. Actual product may vary in appearance".

I just changed a cartridge filter (2014 Chrysler 3.6l V-6) and the shapes of the plastic extensions on each filter differed radically. There was even a small paper included which urged the installer not to panic. It stated, "New shape-same function". Kira

Looks to me like the previous owner failed to change all the O rings at each oil change.

Never seen that on my toyota cartridge systems, and I used all kinds of filters on my rav4.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Looks to me like the previous owner failed to change all the O rings at each oil change.

Never seen that on my toyota cartridge systems, and I used all kinds of filters on my rav4.

You should not have to change the O-rings at every oil change... My ATV manual, for example says to replace the o-rings only if they are hardened. So the oil filters do not come with the o-ring, and most dealers are "Suzuki, Yamaha, whatever" so they don't carry much stock in service dept.. You have to special order the o-rings for a basic oil change.

Hate that you have to drain the oil BEFORE you find out you need a new filter o-ring, and a 4 day wait! (or if you are lucky the Ace Hardware will have the metric O-rings in stock!)

Last edited:
My BMW uses Mann filters and they come with a o-ring. I never use it though, and I have saved about 15 spares...

Not sure its worth getting bent of of shape over..
21.gif

Last edited:
That o-ring is probably original. Most people don't change them.

That filter is in poor shape.

Experience with cartridges: OEM or Hengst, Mahle, or Mann aftermarket only.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Hard to say how long that filter was on there, and if the O-ring was ever swapped out during filter changes. Nitrile O-rings can't take lots of heat for long periods of time.

I agree about it not getting changed. Just watched some YouTube vids where the guy didn't change the small o-ring. Have seen others where somebody says they don't change every time.
Why NOT change every time? It comes with the new filter????
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
"Completely different" oil filter designs?
Were you looking at mere "catalog pictures"....you know, the ones which say, "image is for reference only. Actual product may vary in appearance".

smile.gif
Catalog pics were all I had to go by.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Never seen this happen when using OEM filter, Mann or Mahle, even after 10K miles.

Agree on the Mann/Mahle quality. They are all I will ever use for german cars. Always come out looking like they went in - now wavy pleats, etc.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
That o-ring is probably original. Most people don't change them.

That filter is in poor shape.

Experience with cartridges: OEM or Hengst, Mahle, or Mann aftermarket only.

Agree on the OEM(Mann)/Mahle/Hengst only!
smile.gif

Would love to know why people would not install an o-ring that came with the filter. It's not like you have to pay extra for it. Absolutely no cost. Amazing. O-ring hoarders??
smile.gif

Well now you know the type of owner that had that car previously. Generic Iffy Lube oil changes. Makes you wonder what type of oil they used also...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Well now you know the type of owner that had that car previously. Generic Iffy Lube oil changes. Makes you wonder what type of oil they used also...

Exactly. That is why am eager to get some "good stuff" in there!

I am not sure if this post is a joke or not. It doesn't look like an O-ring at all. It looks like two pcs of burnt macaroni. Maybe the mechanic was eating mac and cheese during the filter change? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back