What's the worst oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever someone asks for the "best" oil there are obviously a ton of opinions and eventually just about every brand and type gets a mention until everyone's head is thoroughly smashed in by the Rotellites. So I wanted to ask the opposite.

What's your worst oil experience with a bike, and if possible, why?

Lucas
laugh.gif

I once made an engine oil that for reasons I never did fathom, under certain conditions, would take on static charge. All I remember are all these droplets of oil spinning and whizzing around in circles like mini solar systems. The oil never made it inside an engine thankfully!

Originally Posted By: gilbertsta
Not sure if it's the worst, but I heard of guys using recycled oil? I just don't know about that.

At the local pick-and-pull here, they sell used oil in gallon containers. None of it's labeled and could have come from any car, might be any grade, have who knows how much life left.. What a gamble. Yet I can't get through the checkout without seeing at least a couple people in front of me purchase a gallon or two. IMO, that would be the worst oil to use, though I have no experience trying it. Maybe they know something I don't!

Any oil not rated AND does not have the API donut..broken seal on bottle.

Don't use it.. EXCEPTIONS: ATV oil that is not API certified(but has JASCO CERTS)

Last edited:
It would seem that most of the posters aren't answering your question.

Anyway, I've tried lots of different oils, in several bikes over the years. All of the oils were reputable major name brands. Most of the bikes were shared-sump I-4 powered Sportbikes. Most of the oils were OK. A couple seemed to be better than average as far as smoothness of shifting, and generally the engine seeming to run quieter, and a bit cooler. My first and second choices are: Motul 300V 4T, and Redline M/C oil.

Since you mentioned Rotella, I've tried the 15w40 and the GRP III synthetic 5w40 variants. The shifting seemed to become notchy sooner with the Rotella variants. So I guess they would constitute my "worst" experience with oil in a Motorcycle.

Not sure if it's the worst, but I heard of guys using recycled oil? I just don't know about that.

There is a guy on here who drain Mobil 1 out of a newer car and then re-uses it in a beater..."Mobil 2". I love his name for it!!!

I would guess that a lot of the dollar store oils that show tons of silicon in UOAs are probably recycled oils that haven't been reprocessed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Any oil not rated AND does not have the API donut..broken seal on bottle.

Don't use it.. EXCEPTIONS: ATV oil that is not API certified(but has JASCO CERTS)

Oh I have to throw out all that nice Euro oil, it doesn't have a donut.
lol.gif

Depends upon how the drain oil was recycled.
If the collected drain oil is put through a hydrocracking process, then you end up with a basestock as good as something made from those fractions of virgin crude that yield motor oil basestock.
I posted the cleanest UOA you'll find here from any BMW in August 2012 using FAR Valvoline Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40, an oil that had at least half recycled oil content.
I've got the same in a 10W-30 grade in our old E350 ATM and may UOA it just out of curiosity.
Nextgen is gone as a retail product but apparently remains available in bulk.
SafetyKleen also offers a PCMO made using recycled basestock.
This oil is not offered at retail in this country, but a number of fleets use this oil in an attempt to be more environmentally responsible.

Dino 10w30 or 10w40 that my mechanic put in my mazda 323. At -7'F my engine was so tight the starter gave up its last gasp. Roll starting in 2nd gear made my clutch slip something weird. It finally caught. $200+ worth of damage.

using recycled oil? I just don't know about that.

We used to have recycled oil here, I'm sure it was pretty good stuff, Mercedes approved it's use for buses in Auckland city. I was using it in a mid '50's BSA single (B31/33) Trying to make it home with a flogged out gudgeon pin, I was using the manual retard to retard the ignition to stop the vibration. Stopped on a ridge to let it cool down, the oil was dripping out of the rockers like kerosene. I'm sure any oil would be doing the same, but I didn't like that and never used it again. The bike didn't start at the bottom of the hill, it got so hot the rings collapsed, and had to hitch home. Came back with another top end to get it home.

I don't think any oil I've used has caused engine problems....maybe.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

At the local pick-and-pull here, they sell used oil in gallon containers. None of it's labeled and could have come from any car, might be any grade, have who knows how much life left.. What a gamble. Yet I can't get through the checkout without seeing at least a couple people in front of me purchase a gallon or two. IMO, that would be the worst oil to use, though I have no experience trying it. Maybe they know something I don't!

Yep, they know that when their buy here & pay here car is repossessed it doesn't matter what oil is in the engine.

Depending on price it could be cheap fire starter or heating oil for a waste oil furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back