What could cause a car to need a fuel system flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know why a Fuel System Flush and Cleaning might show up on a carfax report? As in what would necessitate it? The car is an '09 Taurus.

Yep, Scam or water in the tank. On an Older car it could be rust in the tank. But if it is water in the tank, you can fix that yourself. Drain with the drain bolt on the bottom and refill. Add some seafoam to the tank before filling up and it should be good to go.

Common dealer scam. My Daughter called me one day from a dealer asking me why her car would need this. She told me that they were pushing real hard for her to get it done.

All a car should ever need every once in a blue moon is a legitimate fuel injection cleaning. Every two years I take mine in and have it done, gets rid of choppy idle.

Bad injectors, debris in system. Who knows. I had a friend put in diesel on a gas car . If it was flushed it's probably a good thing for whatever reason.

1. water in the system

2. debris in the system....(sitting car for years had rusty fuel tank and the fuel loosened rust and it will get past the filter)

3. OLD GAS

3. scam

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Yep, Scam or water in the tank. On an Older car it could be rust in the tank. But if it is water in the tank, you can fix that yourself. Drain with the drain bolt on the bottom and refill. Add some seafoam to the tank before filling up and it should be good to go.
Tank Bolt. Ihave not seen one on a car in 30 years. Airplane yes, semi truck yes, car no.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
1. water in the system

2. debris in the system....(sitting car for years had rusty fuel tank and the fuel loosened rust and it will get past the filter)

3. OLD GAS

3. scam

4. Obsessive BITOG Owner

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Tank Bolt. Ihave not seen one on a car in 30 years. Airplane yes, semi truck yes, car no.

Rod

Yeah, tanks are plastic nowadays
crackmeup2.gif

Hyundai dealer was pushing me to get their GDI fuel system cleaning to the tune of $325 dollars.

No thanks I'll stick with Techron and 93 Costco Gas.

With E10 gas in most of the U.S., there isn't much of an issue with "water in the tank". Yes, there is some water there. It came in with the alcohol, and will go out with the alcohol. You could add a liter or two of water with every tank fill and not have a problem.

If your car isn't 'classic', it probably has a plastic fuel tank and a giant, very effective fuel filter. If it's not an antique, it probably has a well-sealed fuel system with vapor capture that minimizes moisture entry.

There are potential issues with injector deposits, and additives that address the problem. But that would not be listed as a 'fuel system flush'.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Anybody know why a Fuel System Flush and Cleaning might show up on a carfax report? As in what would necessitate it? The car is an '09 Taurus.

Older cars always have some crud on the bottom of the tank.

When you run low on fuel you start sucking intros debris and thing get clogged.

A real fuel system flush cleans out the tank and any of the crud thats in the system - if its a real trump " fuel system flush"

UD

Originally Posted By: djb
With E10 gas in most of the U.S., there isn't much of an issue with "water in the tank". Yes, there is some water there. It came in with the alcohol, and will go out with the alcohol. You could add a liter or two of water with every tank fill and not have a problem.

Search "phase separation" Your comments are just not true. Pour 2L H2o in every tank? Umm no

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: djb

Search "phase separation" Your comments are just not true. Pour 2L H2o in every tank? Umm no

Yeah, a gallon of E10 can handle up to 3.8 teaspoons of water before phase separation, less at lower temperatures. So a 20 gallon tank can handle up to about 12 ounces of water. To hit a liter, your tank would be over 50 gallons and 2 liters would be over 100 gallons. Not too many people with a gas tank that big.

Originally Posted By: 7055

Customer's wallet needed flushing for cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back