How should I start my oil analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never done oil analysis before.

I received 6 free oil analysis kits with my recent oil purchase from my distributor.

How should does one get started doing this? I have over a dozen pieces of diesel equipment ranging from pickups, to tractors, to crawlers, backhoes, UTVs, skid steers, semis, etc. Normally I change oil every 150 hrs.

I likely won't do the analysis on the things that don't hold much oil but I think it might help me save money on the things that hold 5 gallons or more of oil.

Do I do a baseline test right after a change, or should I just send some in next time I hit 150 hrs? I assume the test will tell me if the oil needed changing or if I could have run it longer?

Good question. I'd wait until I ran the oil I planned on using twice, for the OCI I would normally do. Then send it off and see how it did, and work from there. Sending a sample off from one run of the oil when a different brand was used prior is not going to give accurate results. So if you were using brand X oil and haven't used a different oil prior I'd send off a sample after 150 hours and see what they say if 150 hrs is your normal OCI.

I'd perform the UOA at your normal change interval. It will give you a starting point from which to increase (or possibly decrease) your interval for that piece of equipment. With that much equipment the record keeping will be fun!

Definitely no point in wasting time, pull a sample from the next scheduled oil change but don't change the oil. Wait a week for the results and see where you stand. If the Lab recommends it's safe to extend the oil use, BAM, the Lab report just paid for itself since you're instantly saving money on the oil change because of the info it gave you.

Once you have one UOA (used oil analysis) report, the best thing to do would be to extend the interval a certain amount and retest at that point to see how the oil is doing without draining it yet again. Wait for the results before making a decision.

If after two UOA you have went 2x your normal oil usage, I think it's a great achievement and a true testimate to oil performance.

Depending on how serious you are about squeezing out every possible MILE out of the oil before calling it quits, how far you extend will depend on you.

I personally went from the factory rated 6,500 mile oil change interval on my Civic to 12k miles and still had oil life left to keep running it further but unfortunately, the car was totaled by my sister and that's the end of that story. Haha.

I'm in for results so when you get a UOA report to post, update this thread with a link so we can find you again. I'm very interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back