unk oil 7456 int 159763 miles '07 Honda Fit Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
EACV8nm.png

It's probably not worth the Lab Fees to run it for another 2500 & sample again. I'd run that oil to 15K.

Amsoil? Where does it say that as the fill? I am really impressed with your results, that is a perfect wearing engine and great oil combo imo.

It looks like PYB to me but your iron is too low for it to be that low at those miles on the fill I would expect slightly more iron wear.

Must be something good. TBN and Tan would have really allowed us an accurate guess on the unknown fill.

Maybe it is an SM Ultra in there if it isn't an Amsoil...

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
That Amsoil is holding up nicely!
This oil isn't amsoil... it's conventional 5w20, brand unknown.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It's probably not worth the Lab Fees to run it for another 2500 & sample again. I'd run that oil to 15K.

I was thinking the same thing about a sample at 10k. I'll be there within the next month for sure. Maybe I'll split the difference and try 12.5K

Originally Posted By: albertdi

I was thinking the same thing about a sample at 10k. I'll be there within the next month for sure. Maybe I'll split the difference and try 12.5K

Sounds very doable! I'm definitely curious to see what the results are.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Since when is safely extending oil change intervals using Lab analysis become more concerned about the cost of the report vs getting more data to safely decide on an extended OCI?

Op, maybe it's in the first oil report but I missed the part where share your goal for using unknown conventional oil and running it 10-12k miles? Are you trying to extend what is essentially already a cheap oil change as is???

Other then that, I'd be interested in more UOA to determine the best interval if that is your goal here.

If it was me, I'd proceed with 10k and probably spring for the TBN at that point to see how much life is left in the Lube.

Sarcasm.
I was just trying to get more info from you.
And it worked.
The "unknown 5w20" is actually a conventional unknown 5w20.
How do you know it's conventional?
Where was it changed last?
What is the point of extending Oci on an unknown oil that you couldn't recreate even if it gave perfect wear numbers?

Last edited:

Sarcasm.
I was just trying to get more info from you.
And it worked.
The "unknown 5w20" is actually a conventional unknown 5w20.
How do you know it's conventional?
Where was it changed last?
What is the point of extending Oci on an unknown oil that you couldn't recreate even if it gave perfect wear numbers?

I'll call the shop and get a brand for us. Last changed 7/24/16. Fair enough. Perhaps I paid for conventional and they treated me to Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Are you trying to extend what is essentially already a cheap oil change as is???

Isn't that why we are all here?

We all want the same thing:
1) Long engine life, with
2) maximum duration oil chages, at
3) Lowest cost

The result is the "Magic Formula"

I know one guy in Eau Claire, Wisconsin that changed his Mobil 1 every 30,000 - 40,000 miles, and used a "normal" oil filter. That vehicle still ran fine when he sold it with 200,000 miles on it. I'd say he found a good balance for his situation.

I see two (mainly) different camps here on this website:
One is the type of person that changes their oil a little too often/frequently, because they are worried about engine life. These people usually sell their vehicles LONG before the engine is worn out, anyway.
The other "camp" is folks that are obsessed with getting 12K, 15K or more miles on their oil - and they run the "good stuff". They keep their vehicles well past the 200,000 mile mark.

Kind of ironic, isn't it?

Initially, there wasn't more of a goal with this sample other than a routine check of how the engine was wearing (Although I had toyed with timing the sample around a valve adjustment... I decided to hold off on that service). I don't do my own oil changes for my car, obviously. I sample with a pump through the dipstick and figured I'd make a decision about when to change the oil based on the report.

Last edited:
latest report. Makeup oil added after filter removal and subsequent oil loss when replacing the starter...

standby... image upload issues...

Last edited:
Hmmm, doesn't look like Valvoline oil since this has moly in it with little sodium. Looks more like Pennzoil conventional or Havoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back