96 ram 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm use to reading diesel samples, this looks really bad to me considering its 5k on m1 filter and extended drain .

Alum 4
Chromium 2
Iron 55
Copper 9
Lead 5
Tin 4
Moly 59
Nickel 2
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 17
Silicon 16
Sodium 93
Calcium 991
Magnesium 448
Phosphorus 512
Zinc 614
Barium 0
Sus visc 51.6
Cat visc 7.75
Flash 415
Fuel Coolant ?
Water 0
Insoluble .3

Well maintained truck, what do y'all think

At first I thought you had the 5.9l diesel then realized you were talking about the gasoline 5.9l. What brand and weight oil did you use on this run ?

Originally Posted By: NStuart
What about the sodium?

That's a fine looking UOA, in my opinion. The sodium is a normal oil additive either from the current oil or a previous fill. If it had shown up with with potassium on the UOA, it could indicate coolant contamination in the oil, but there was no potassium present in your sample.

The iron isn't "high" by any means, especially on these big V8s. If you ran the oil further, you'll likely find the iron stays near the 50ppm mark, give or take. Just the nature of the best. All other wear metals and other info in the report look fantastic.

I'm just guessing, but this looks like a Mobil1 oil by the add pack, likely a recent 5w30, 0w-30, etc.. OP, can you clarify which oil was used?

As a side note, check your air filter. The silicon looks a little high.

It is mobile 1 ep 5w 30, I edited the subject last night. The silicon is high, I work on a very dusty truck yard and the oil sample is about 8 months old, the air filter has been in the truck for almost (14k mi) 2 years and at that time the gasket was replaced . no recently used silicon products on the oil side that I can think of, I will look in the tubing for traces of dirt today, iv never ran an air filter this long, this 20 year old truck is teaching me new maint schedules, it's also the only vehicle if ever owned I havent done at least one tune up on, it has 80k and runs like a singer

Last edited:
How in the world did no one catch this?

Sus visc 51.6
Cat visc 7.75

If he came on here and inquired about putting a Xw-20 in his '96 Ram 360, everyone would tell him it was an awful idea. His viscosity is actually towards the lower end of that spectrum (between 6.9 - 9.3 cSt) as well. Realistically, given the massive kinematic viscosity drop, he's getting awful close to qualifying as a SAE 16!

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Sus visc 51.6
Cat visc 7.75

If he came on here and inquired about putting a Xw-20 in his '96 Ram 360, everyone would tell him it was an awful idea. His viscosity is actually towards the lower end of that spectrum (between 6.9 - 9.3 cSt) as well. Realistically, given the massive kinematic viscosity drop, he's getting awful close to qualifying as a SAE 16!

What am I missing here, it's a little above my knowledge. Thanks

It is mobile 1 ep 5w 30,

This engine may be a good candidate for xW40, wherever one is.
blush.gif

I'm sensing some sarcasm and that you're busting someone's chops about the report as well, but my understanding of the viscosity is not the best, should I go for a thicker oil the truck has 80,000k on it.

This truck is going to be around for a long time it's my wife's grandfather's truck, I bought it from his wife because it was so well cared for. It is my daily driver for the last 2 years with no known issues, I'm considering going TP filter or b50 b164 bypass, even when I replace this truck with my wife's car as my daily in a few years it will still be parked in the back yard and used as a truck I will not be purchasing a newer truck , it may even remain as my work vehicle( 7mi each way) and my wife's vehicle be my pleasure car (2011 yukon 100k retired rental)
The Dodge truck was his baby it was his weekend vehicle and it was garage kept, my wife's grandfather raised her so you can imagine the Sentimental value, this one will be around until the rust takes it and I live in ga, so far so good

NStuart -

Few quick questions before a lengthier response later on...

How much oil are you using over the 5k change interval?
Any external leakage?
Can you recheck the viscosity numbers you posted above (cSt & SUS)?

At the 5k Mark it's almost time to add half a quart, it has a very small valve cover leak

The values are correct on the visc

I completely understand where you're coming from on the truck; my dad has been gone for many years now, and we still have his...an un-modified, pre-emissions, Cummins-powered Ram in excellent condition. It's worth a small fortune on the used market, but it's not going anywhere!

(I should mention that I'm not compensated in any manner for my time spent here, nor receive anything for recommendations; just my personal thoughts.)

In regards to what I mentioned yesterday, SAE J300 governs viscosity specs:
V3ZjUYb.png

The oil you're using starts out at 10.6 cSt (@100°C), and finished at 7.75. This is a huge drop of around 30% or so (quick math in my head). Usually, you'd think about fuel contamination, but that's not an overriding issue here. Through some mechanism, it's sheared-down quite considerably.

Air Filter - As I'm sure you know, this is critically important. I'm a fan of the Fram Tough Guard for its excellent construction, coated media, and nice price point. TGA3901 is the part number, and it's on the shelf at Walmart for under $10. Before changing the oil again, take the time to confirm everything in the air intake (post filter) is perfect (no leakage, clamps tight, etc.).

Oil - Mobil 1 Extended Performance is great stuff. With that said, it didn't perform well here, and its formulation isn't exactly geared towards your application. A strong 10w-30 (HTHS >3.5) would be a very good choice. Do you have a brand preference?

Oil Filter - Don't install a bypass system. Full-flow filters are achieving excellent levels of filtration these days...
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4299547

XG16 would be the stock size filter. XG8A would be the oversize version. These are both Fram Ultra's, which are again available at Walmart for a very good price.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Sus visc 51.6
Cat visc 7.75

I see your sig says thin as possible, thick as necessary. With a good report like aboove would it be safe to assume that the viscosity, while low, was adequate? How do you determine as thin as possible, thick as necessary?

Good question, and I'm glad to answer. That mantra (for myself) merely depends upon what you're trying to accomplish; it's not an across the board stance that one should run the thinnest oil possible, but instead, the thinnest for your desired goals. For example - was exchanging messages with a guy the other day. We have his truck running great, but he's still seeing more oil consumption than what we'd like. So, he's now going to a Xw-40. A thicker viscosity isn't needed otherwise, though.

I agree that it was an adequate report, and there's nothing truly awful going on. However, it wasn't ideal.

If this were a '71-'92 LA 360, my stance would be different. As a '96 Magnum 5.9 though, I'd like to see iron at about 1/2 of what's showing up here. Switching over to a formulation that's better suited for this application would be a good place to start.

Ramblejam said:
Good question, and I'm glad to answer. That mantra (for myself) merely depends upon what you're trying to accomplish; it's not an across the board stance that one should run the thinnest oil possible, but instead, the thinnest for your desired goals. For example - was exchanging messages with a guy the other day. We have his truck running great, but he's still seeing more oil consumption than what we'd like. So, he's now going to a Xw-40. A thicker viscosity isn't needed otherwise, though.

I agree that it was an adequate report, and there's nothing truly awful going on. However, it wasn't ideal.

If this were a '71-'92 LA 360, my stance would be different. As a '96 Magnum 5.9 though, I'd like to see iron at about 1/2 of what's showing up here. Switching over to a formulation that's better suited for this application would be a good place to start. [/quote

Thats a good answer. I have been using 0w20 in my old ford. Oil pressure seems good with my aftermarket gauge. No less than 20 psi at idle and topping out at 42 psi when above 1500 rpm when hot. My next move is to have the oil analyzed. my truck does is not used to tow or race or anything like that. Largest load ive had is a half a yard of top soil or maybe a few household items being moved occasionally.

My oil psi is at 42 all the time, the oil has a very strong fuel smell .I always smell the dipstick and this one is rank lol

I'm not sure where my other reply went to

I would certainly keep that cummins around for a long time, I sold mine.

It currently has the extended drain Mobil 1 filter, what are the benefits of the fram over the mobile one?

I will check the air filter shortly probably replace it ,it has about 12000 miles and my truck yard is extremely Dusty

The truck now has Pennzoil Platinum oil in it that was what was available at this change and I will probably send a sample out around the 2500 3000 mile mark to see if the test improves this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back