02 Wrangler morning Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Brothers and Sisters.

02 Jeep Wrangler. 4liter straight 6. 210,000 miles. I start it, wait 4 or 5 minutes, reverse on to the street, put it in drive - and like clockwork, it stalls. Drop into neutral, start it, put in drive, pull away. Vehicle is sluggish. Stop at traffic light, vehicle idles funny, stalls. Drop in neutral, start, drive away. The oil sending unit has indeed given out again. Vehicle is automatic. Throttle body was throughly cleaned yesterday. I have Army in 159 miles away on Friday. Need this daily driver fixed. Oh God, please BITOG Friends, tell me what's wrong here.

Help.

I'd have a look at the air filter to rule that out, and replace the gas filter if equipped, check the fuel pressure regulator. Were the fuel injectors ever professionally cleaned? As in removed and cleaned? I realize time is of the essence here, but if I had the time I'd send them off to board member Trav and have them checked and cleaned professionally.

Start with the basics, any CEL? When did it last see new plugs and wires and filters? Look for broken, leaking, rotten, collapsed or unplugged vacuum line(s).
Remove the idle air control motor on the throttle body and clean the pintel on it and the passage it goes into thoroughly with carb cleaner spray.

Edit: If you removed the throttle body make sure the gasket isn't leaking.

Last edited:
Crank Sensor. Very common problem of the Jeep 4.0. Had one failing on a 03 GC. Sensor is a pain to get to. Top of bell housing.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd have a look at the air filter to rule that out, and replace the gas filter if equipped, check the fuel pressure regulator. Were the fuel injectors ever professionally cleaned? As in removed and cleaned? I realize time is of the essence here, but if I had the time I'd send them off to board member Trav and have them checked and cleaned professionally.
fuel filter and regulator are part of the fuel pump assembly. Mine acts up every 35k when it needs a new tps but it throws a code first... no codes on the op's yet?

Originally Posted By: strongt
Crank Sensor. Very common problem of the Jeep 4.0. Had one failing on a 03 GC. Sensor is a pain to get to. Top of bell housing.
Usually those work or they don't.

Come on people. Rough idle, dies at idle when in gear.........vac leak or faulty MAF. Ck codes (lean/lack O2 switching), fuel trims lean at idle trending normal on accel.

Check vacuum; also plugs....how long has it been since the plugs were changed? The 4.0 likes new plugs every 30k. At $1.98 each for OEM NGK or Champions it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Not necessarily. I've seen crank sensors cause weird stalling problems for months before they actually fail. One Jeep would be very hard to start, would finally start and run perfectly fine. Crank sensor solved it.

Only buy a factory MOPAR crank sensor. If you buy Napa or Autozone junk you will be replacing it again with a factory one.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Not necessarily. I've seen crank sensors cause weird stalling problems for months before they actually fail. One Jeep would be very hard to start, would finally start and run perfectly fine. Crank sensor solved it.

Only buy a factory MOPAR crank sensor. If you buy Napa or Autozone junk you will be replacing it again with a factory one.
+1 the crank sensor on my Jeep had intermittent issues. Fortunately it set a code right away and I had my mechanic change it.

I'd agree with the crank sensor, but OP said it's like clockwork and only happens first start pulling out of driveway...unless I'm missing something?

crank sensor. my 98 would do that to me. just outa the blue it stall. sometimes it'd go months sometime a few feet. other thing could be plugged fuel pump screen.
my bet is the crank sensor.

I was gonna suggest to check ebay for a crank sensor, I seen them for my car for around $10. im sure oem is better quality, but if your your budget dont allow oem, i would check ebay
check this out for comaparison http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CRANK-SHAFT-CRANKSHAFT-POSITION-SENSOR-FOR-1996-2004-JEEP-2-5L-L4-4-0L-L6-/401184883735?fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AJeep%7CModel%3AWrangler%7CSubmodel%3ASE%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L&hash=item5d687b8417:m:myAbyBShYG-m1DTyzG1jmiw&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I wouldn't put my money on a crankshaft sensor. Seems like we're just naming off a lot of expensive and hard to change parts. Generally, the crankshaft sensors on these engines go bad and fail when it is hot.

Keep the cart behind the horse! How about start with if it has a CEL or not (that should always be the first question whenever a problem exist concerning engine performance) and if so what codes and history of any recent repairs.

Lots of good tips here , look for codes active,pending or history. Crankshaft sensor is a possibility with the 4.0L. Another is the MAP sensor , check it with a multimeter and vacuum pump to determine if it is 100% functional. I have seen a 99 cherokee with the same exact symptoms end up having a faulty MAP sensor. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back