20w40 in Yamaha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody ran amsoil or victory 20w40 in there yamaha. I have
A fjr and it feels like it shifts smoother with that wt oil . Just wanted
some opinions . Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to ride motorcycles and my favorite oil was Yamalube 20W40. That was the best oil in regards to shifting, period. I think they discontinued it, but I still have a quart.

the yammy is a conventional oil, overpriced Vic oil is semi synthetic, amsoil is a fake "synthetic" group III the best of the bunch. a 20-40 is poor in colder weather but its narrower viscosity spread holds up better even using cheaper base oils! in a not cheap bike like that redline motorcycle oil would be my choice, prolly 10-40 unless your in a lot of heat then 20-50. to defray the cost you can at least double the mileage of use up to one year changes as i do since my bikes get parked in Pa winters

I lot of my buddies with FJR's , R-1's and GTS-1000 run Amsoil 10w-40 or 20w50 oils. I personally use Amsoil 20w50 in the GTS. I do not recall if the FJR has a wet clutch- if it does that might sway your opinion.

Shared sump machine - have one myself. Use various weight Rotella oils over the years. Tried the new T5 in 15w-40 in this Fall's oil change. Will see how that works come Spring.

John.

Thanks fer the opinions, i have 2 fjrs the 2005 has 180k on it with
nuthin but yamalube and a 2008 with 30k miles. The 08 does not
shift well with rotella or most 50wts . Ive never done a uoa to check
vis , i just change it when shifting gets rough . Also i dont mind wasting
money or good oil in the search for a good for my likes replacement .
Btw how can you tell if amsoil is a group3 oil .
Thanks and sorry this is a pabst post

Last edited:
I use Mobil1 Racing 4T 10w-40 in my FJR. It only has 47k miles, but shifts very well, except going from neutral to first.

Both of my fjrs clunk loud when going to 1st .
I try to start them in gear when it possible !

Originally Posted By: fastrider1300
Both of my fjrs clunk loud when going to 1st .
I try to start them in gear when it possible !

Check the fuel tank. If it is marked "Yamaha" then this will explain the first gear clunk.
wink.gif

Mine does it too and I gather they have a reputation for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back