Liqui Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf High Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

Here is a VOA of an oil that's not very common. Anecdotally, I hear nothing but good things about Liqui Moly so I thought I'd give this particular oil a look because it's suitable for my BMWs.

Notice I had both kv40 and kv100 tests done, which yielded a viscosity index of 181. TBN was a strong 10.2. Impressive. As an additional bonus this oil is competitively priced from the two German car parts internet sources I often use.

I'm going to try this in my wife's E90.

Scott

Ironic that it has no moly...hmmmm
21.gif

Not all liqui-moly lubricants contain moly however they are great products,all of them.
They are one of my favorite lubricant manufacturers. I like that graph they put on the back,but they just cost too much for me to use.
Unless of course they come on sale.

I used this oil in my 128i for a little while. I did a UOA and it came back looking good.

Not many additives but the cleaning power of a diesil oil, and I also expected to see moly, so liquid moly is just a name I guess.

I guess the assumption would be not great, cause most want a ton of additives, but voas don't show what the base oil is capable of, so I guess it needs to be run in a motor.

I might consider it for Porsche but in 0w40. I can get it for cheap too.

Originally Posted By: Ndx

I used it in my charger for an interval. I went from 5w-20 to the liqui-moly 0w-40 and I really liked the stuff in service.
It carries all the same euro approvals as m1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 so it's in good company as far as approvals are concerned.

I read an article where a Porsche rep stated in no uncertain terms that any oil certified by them for use in their engines are equal in performance.
So they believe that m1 0w-40,castrol euro 0w-40,liqui-moly 0w-40 and so on are equal in their performance as used in their engines.
Just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I used it in my charger for an interval. I went from 5w-20 to the liqui-moly 0w-40 and I really liked the stuff in service.
It carries all the same euro approvals as m1 0w-40 and castrol 0w-40 so it's in good company as far as approvals are concerned.

I read an article where a Porsche rep stated in no uncertain terms that any oil certified by them for use in their engines are equal in performance.
So they believe that m1 0w-40,castrol euro 0w-40,liqui-moly 0w-40 and so on are equal in their performance as used in their engines.

Thank you, at 29.95 CAD for 5L is hard to beat...in Canada
5 liters of M1 0w40 would run 37.5 not a major saving, but I like that is German made.

5 liters of M1 0w40 would run 37.5 not a major saving, but I like that is German made.

Where are you getting that oil for 30 bucks a jug. If I could find that price for that oil I'd buy it exclusively.

Where are you getting that oil for 30 bucks a jug. If I could find that price for that oil I'd buy it exclusively.

Clevy:

RMEuropean has it for $34.57 for a 5 liter jug. Free shipping on orders over $65. No sales tax unless you're in Colorado.

Scott

It's a local parts distributor ... They always have great deals.
Last time they offered me Eneos 0w50 for price of M1 0w40 7.50$ CAD

I'm just not sure if 0w40 LM is better choice .. the little saving over the M1 is not a big deal...

Thanks for the VOA.

Yes this oil does have a high VI for a 5W-40, higher than many 0W-40s.
AW additive levels are a bit low for a 40 grade oil.

Of course the inevitable comparison to M1 0W-40 give M1 the edge.

New to BITOG, but not new to lurking BITOG! Sorry, I'm adding UOA to an old thread. Not a well known oil so I thought I'd add where it's being discussed.

I've been using Liqui Moly 10w60 and LM 5w40 in my 08 BMW 335XI (E92) with Stage 3 Dinan and lots of mods. I've been super happy with difference over Castrol OEM. My oil runs max temp at 240, with average at 220-230. With OEM Castrol, it'd easily hit 240 on average and go up over 250. I went from 1qt add every 2-3K to less than a 1qt every 6-7k. I just had the UOA completed by Blackstone and thought I'd share. I did change the filter at 4k.

Originally Posted By: AnchorMgmt
New to BITOG, but not new to lurking BITOG! Sorry, I'm adding UOA to an old thread. Not a well known oil so I thought I'd add where it's being discussed.

I've been using Liqui Moly 10w60 and LM 5w40 in my 08 BMW 335XI (E92) with Stage 3 Dinan and lots of mods. I've been super happy with difference over Castrol OEM. My oil runs max temp at 240, with average at 220-230. With OEM Castrol, it'd easily hit 240 on average and go up over 250. I went from 1qt add every 2-3K to less than a 1qt every 6-7k. I just had the UOA completed by Blackstone and thought I'd share. I did change the filter at 4k.

Which Castrol were you running? Very nice UOA btw! I'm currently running LM 5w40 in my Isuzu, should be an interesting UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back