M1 0w40...FS vs European Car Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing a bit of reading, research into viscosities, etc, I decided to try M1 0w40 in my 17yo 4Runner.

Most PDS sheets show it on the thinner side of 40wt oils in comparison with Castrol Edge (which I also considered).

The bottles I purchased at WM listed it as European Car Formula, which I thought was the old version--but all the PDS sheets were for "Mobil 1 FS 0w40."

My understanding was the FS lost the BMW LL-01 certification while the European Car Formula retained it--but the bottles I purchased do not carry that cert.

This is mostly a curiosity thing as it really doesn't matter (and it seems to run really well), but which oil do I actually have?

If you have a little FS on the front label, you have FS. Most likely, that's what you've got.

robert

You purchased the latest version of Mobil 1 0W-40 available here in the US, which carries the specifications listed on the container. It is the only one available here in this country, there are not two versions.

Originally Posted By: leemajors
The bottles I purchased at WM listed it as European Car Formula, which I thought was the old version--but all the PDS sheets were for "Mobil 1 FS 0w40."

The "FS" version is still called European Car Formula. It just has those little "FS" letters on the label.

IMG_20160124_151115.jpg

Had to look for a while to find the FS, but I'm up to speed now! That's a very subtle difference that only a BITOGer would appreciate.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Had to look for a while to find the FS, but I'm up to speed now! That's a very subtle difference that only a BITOGer would appreciate.

The other dead giveaway is that it makes no mention of "BMW".
smile.gif

Ohhhhhh. I guess I expected the FS to be really prominent. I was under the impression the old one was ECF and the new one was FS, but I guess the lack of BMW is the giveaway.

Thanks all for sating my curiosity.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The "FS" version is still called European Car Formula. It just has those little "FS" letters on the label.

IMG_20160124_151115.jpg

If you bought some M1 0w-40 early in 2016 with the M1 rebates, you could have ended up with the old version. It wouldn't surprise me if some retailers had some of the old stuff still left will into 2016.

I found the tiny, unobtrusive FS on the bottle. I totally overlooked it before--I guess I figured it'd be prominent.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If you bought some M1 0w-40 early in 2016 with the M1 rebates, you could have ended up with the old version. It wouldn't surprise me if some retailers had some of the old stuff still left will into 2016.

I found the tiny, unobtrusive FS on the bottle. I totally overlooked it before--I guess I figured it'd be prominent.

Had it been more prominent, then XOM would have been under more pressure to explain what it actually stands for.
smile.gif

Had it been more prominent, then XOM would have been under more pressure to explain what it actually stands for.

I gave that answer months ago.
wink.gif

I'm still peeved that you guys get five quart (4.73 L) jugs for Mobil products and Imperial Oil continues to saddle us with 4.4 L ones.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I gave that answer months ago.
wink.gif

You did, but XOM didn't.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Wasn't the FS meaning "Fo' Shizzle"?? I forget
smile.gif

Nailed-it! Mobil 1 did not "lose" BMW LL01 certification - Castrol simply paid BMW off as their factory fill oil now.

Originally Posted By: dilberto88
smile.gif

Nailed-it! Mobil 1 did not "lose" BMW LL01 certification - Castrol simply paid BMW off as their factory fill oil now.

Are you claiming that the Castrol oils that list Longlife-01 compliance don't in fact carry the certification? Or are you saying that BMW denied granting ExxonMobil's the certification?

Originally Posted By: dilberto88
smile.gif

You on mushrooms?

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

For what it is worth, I am still finding it in stores right now. I have a Mercedes, an Audi, and a Mini Cooper that requires BMW LL oil. It is easier to keep one in stock so I look for the non FS version from time to time. Still finding it.

So is Mobil walking away from the LL-01 BMW market completely?

Once the non-FS 0W-40 is gone, they won't have a LL-01 oil in their line up.

Castrol will have this market almost exclusively until Shell wakes up to the need in the consumer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back