2009 Acura TL AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.7L engine has problems with oil consumption due to ring coking. This engine is only found found in the 2009-2014AWD models. In warranty, Acura has been replacing short blocks.

Some years have prop shaft shaft issues.

My 2012 had oil changes at 6K intervals since new with 5w-20 synthetic oil. Required a block at 67K miles. Prop shaft required replacement. Rear diff failed despite frequent fluid changes.

I am sure there are great examples, but risk is high.

2009-2010 had issues with oil consumption. As of right now my 3.7 in the MDX is doing fine no oil added for over 3000 miles. I too have replaced my driveshaft for driveshaft bearing failure.

I would try 2011 and 2013 TL

Dad has a 2013 and he has had no issues.

Is AWD a requirement for you? A FWD TL is a much safer bet -- conventional, and highly reliable, 3.5L V-6 engine (vs. the 3.7L in the AWD model) and no propeller shaft risk. Acura's SH-AWD system is a fantastic piece of kit, but it does seem that its implementation in the TL wasn't without some consequence, for some reason. It seems much more sorted in the MDX.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
what is a short block?
The engine below the heads.

When someone buys a "short block" they get crank/rods/pistons and whatever else may be inside the block (but usually not oil pan, timing cover, etc). A "long block" would come with head(s) and I do believe the timing chain. Again no covers. Reason being, people buy long/short blocks to replace faulty engines, and thus they have all those parts anyhow.

My 2011 MDX has 76,000+ on its J37 and no issues with oil consumption.

I serviced the SH-AWD system at 60k and the diff and transfer case fluid were beautiful (esp the transfer case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back