VAG Exec Arrested - No Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
They should just seize the guys passport and let him sit out on bail....

Getting bail by the feds before being presented to the district prosecuting the case is not common.

Even if the Magistrate approved of bail, the prosecution could appeal the Mag's decision and he would be sent to the originating district anyway for the appeal.

Once he is in front of a magistrate in the originating district, he is far more likely to be granted bail.

Given that he is not a citizen, and has no residence at all here in the US, it's not the best bet in the world, but better.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
He's a real idiot for coming to the US.

But Germans can't resist our area for some reason.

Just legendary German confidence. Heck, big part of this great nation success is this German heritage: confidence and competitiveness. Remember, Mr Franklin was afraid that English could disappear due to overwhelming use of German in PA? TX was also very German at one time. Strong, confident, competitive.. But this guy got to be arrogant a bit over second standard deviation
smile.gif

Volkswagen has warned its senior managers not to travel to the United States after six current and former managers were indicted for their role in the German carmaker's diesel test-cheating scheme, according to Reuters.

Originally Posted By: Garak
..... Yet, we cannot seize this guy's passport to prevent him from fleeing? ....

Between the time you wrote this and my reply, hundreds, if not thousands, of people will have traversed the southern border of the United States. A passport is not essential for ingress and egress in the United States.

Europe ( and Germany ) are not dependable for extradition, e.g. Roman Polanski.

Originally Posted By: Win
Between the time you wrote this and my reply, hundreds, if not thousands, of people will have traversed the southern border of the United States. A passport is not essential for ingress and egress in the United States.

Europe ( and Germany ) are not dependable for extradition, e.g. Roman Polanski.

I agree on these points, of course. However, with the former point, I doubt that this is the type of person who would try to leave the U.S. by taking a long walk through the desert or half buried under a load of manure on a forty year old pickup.
wink.gif
If he wants to get on a plane and fly to Germany, having no passport would slow him down very much. Order an ankle bracelet at his cost, even.

The GPS bracelets, here anyway, are for home detention, and this guy's home is in Germany, so that's a problematic argument.

Detroit is pretty close to Canada, and there wouldn't be much to stop him from crossing that border.

My WAG was that they were going to hold this guy to squeeze him and flip him, but it seems more plausible that they flipped him back in Germany, and we are watching his social cover for ratting out the others. It doesn't make much sense that he came to the U.S. for vacation when he could be facing 169 years in jail - unless he already had a deal made, or that his lawyer tipped off the feds to arrest him. The dramatic last second arrest getting on the plane, and holding him without bond is part of the cover show. We have yet to see the traditional perp walk by the feds of the disgraced big shot, I might add.

It will be interesting to watch the show. It looks unseemly that VW is the one to get the book thrown at it when so much white collar crime, in the private sector and government, has been virtually ignored for criminal prosecution, but I guess you have to start somewhwere.

The whole emissions system is a crime anyway.

Pollute to your desire as long as you buy the right credits?

Bill a company as a clean company, when they are allowed to rack up cash selling credits to enable pollution to go on somewhere else?

It's like Icelandic banking of 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Win
Detroit is pretty close to Canada, and there wouldn't be much to stop him from crossing that border.

Without a passport, there'd be plenty stopping him.
wink.gif
Oh well, we'll have to see how everything works out, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back