Best aftermarket CV axles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any parts stores or private suppliers that make a decent CV axle?? I am not against buying a Nissan CV axle. It is $580. But if there is a good aftermarket option I would at least entertain the possibility of purchasing one.

I think i would either use a pick and pull factory axle or dealer. I have just not heard good things about aftermarket axles.

Yeah that's what I have been hearing too. Just very poor quality on average with the aftermarket axles.

Raxles is the best, if they make them for your car.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with Cardone reman CV axles. They've never given me any problems. Autozone/Duralast and Napa reman are both reboxed Cardone.

I have the Cardone remans on my car now, and they are holding up just fine.

Well Nick it is throwing grease from the inner boot. It's quiet, without any vibration or licking. It, it is a matter of time before it will be a bigger issue. This is on my Altima. I hope that maybe a good one could be found outside of the dealership. $580 is quite a bit but may well go that route. Another thing here is that this car is a CVT transmission. So, I wonder if that changes or matters as well??

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I've heard good things about NAPA axles. The reman and new prices are usually so close that it makes sense to just get the new ones.

the reman use OE cores, while the new ones are Chinese. Cardone scraps non-OE cores they receive

Could you replace the boot? Might be good enough to keep the existing oem CV running with less uncertainty of an aftermarket one.

How do we know certain parts retailers use OE axles for their remans? How do we know they aren't aftermarket cores?

I remember when I worked at Oreillys.. their house brand axles were remaned. A guy needed one for his car and of the 2 I ordered, the threads for the axle nut were completely messed up on both. Ground down and literally non existent. The axle nut was only being held on by a half a turn or so. I had to tell him to go elsewhere because I didn't feel we offered a decent part for him.

I would replace the boot if the joint itself is still good.

However, I have some friends running Autozone CV Shafts in their Jeeps with large tires and they seem to hold up great. And they aren't easy on the Jeep.

Nissan sells just the joint you need and boot kits without swapping the whole axle. Clean and inspect the join and regrease/reboot if its good, if not get a new OE joint. Stay well away from aftermarket new shafts and remans unless they are using new not reground joints and high quality boots. There is no such thing as a good aftermarket CV axle, its a mythical creature.

On my wifes last mini van I ordered a set from Raxles.
They were not the cheapest, but they told my they use NEW joints, not reground. Also said they pack them with Amsoil grease and use a high grade boot.
Lifetime warranty, and the man on the phone (Marty I think it was) was very knowledgeable.

They outlasted the rest of the van and looked and worked great when we got rid of the van.

http://www.raxles.com/

I believe they put out a good reman product but they are not as inexpensive as rebuilding it yourself with the same quality parts. They don't carry all makes or models. It seems they are possibly limited to new joint availability which is understandable.
Its a job you can do yourself, if you are handy enough and have the tools to get the shaft out changing a boot and joint is nothing.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well Nick it is throwing grease from the inner boot. It's quiet, without any vibration or licking. It, it is a matter of time before it will be a bigger issue. This is on my Altima. I hope that maybe a good one could be found outside of the dealership. $580 is quite a bit but may well go that route. Another thing here is that this car is a CVT transmission. So, I wonder if that changes or matters as well??
If you can't do it yourself, have a mechanic replace the boots.

My previous VW had a torn CV boot. I talked to my mechanic who looked into the prices, an aftermarket replacement axle installed was the same price as putting 2 new boots. By same price I mean within $10. I had him just replace the whole thing. Had a bad vibration after that at 2,000 RPMs from that axle. Sold the car a few months later.

Good point Trav. I believe that you are correct. I will get the materials for the inner boot and have it repaired. I have a good friend who's business is largely doing this type of work. I will price out the inner boot materials and buy them from Nissan. The outer boot is great without defect. If it were both of them I would probably just purchase a whole new CV axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back