PP 5w30, 5078 miles, 2013 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I did two 5,000 mile intervals before sending a sample of Amsoil SS 5w30 to Blackstone.
Also ran two 5,000 mile intervals of PP 5w30 before sending sample. Fram Ultra Oil filter used both times.

Looks like the PP did better than the Amsoil.
Amsoil is in the 3rd column.
PP in the 1st.

Last edited:
Pennzoil synthetics seem to be the best of the best. I remember when PP first came out and everyone was going crazy over the perfect uoa's it was producing.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I would be interested in one more run of Amsoil. I wonder if any wear metals are from break in.

I was thinking the same thing. The main reason I decided to send an analysis in the first place was because I thought my engine had too much valve train noise or some other source I couldn't pin point. It is definitely quieter with PP. I didn't expect the sound change, but it is real.

A few ppm is nothing at all, especially on such a young engine. Looks like they both worked quite well actually.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
A few ppm is nothing at all, especially on such a young engine. Looks like they both worked quite well actually.

Agreed. I know Amsoil would give it a long life. The Pennzoil is cheaper, and easier to get, and it makes my particular engine quieter so that will be what it gets for now. I would use Pennzoil Ultra, but we all know it only exist in Internet Pictures, and not actual store shelves.

Pennz Ultra should give cleaner pistons than PP, according to the experts at Shell. They put in extra boron in Pennzoil Ultra to help get cleaner pistons. Amsoil does that too.

Your PP got low Fe wear for certain, even with low-ish ZDDP PPM. I guess a UOA will never tell you how much carbon/varnish buildup on the pistons you have. I'd go with Shell's recommendations on that if you want clean rings and step up to Ultra from Amazon.com.

OP,how would you account for bigger drop of FP in Amsoil than PP ..... in terms of driving style difference/short trips/fuel dilution etc ?
Is Amsoil subject to fuel dilution?
confused.gif

Does that explain higher Fe# in Amsoil ?

Last edited:
The 1st run had more break in metals in it....It seems your truck likes the PP as it runs smoother.

Originally Posted By: zeng
OP,how would you account for bigger drop of FP in Amsoil than PP ..... in terms of driving style difference/short trips/fuel dilution etc ?
Is Amsoil subject to fuel dilution?
confused.gif

Does that explain higher Fe# in Amsoil ?

I don't think my driving changed much. Up until about a month ago, this truck was a wknd/rd trip vehicle only.
Not many short trips. I don't think much fuel got into the oil.
I'm thinking it's probably related to break in. This is an Aluminum Block, but it has Iron Cylinder Liners.

Be careful using words like better............................ You'll open up a can of worms.........
27.gif

Honestly we're talking PPM so its hard to tell which is better. Based on the report I'd run the cheaper of the two oils, the PP.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Be careful using words like better............................ You'll open up a can of worms.........
27.gif

Honestly we're talking PPM so its hard to tell which is better. Based on the report I'd run the cheaper of the two oils, the PP.

Everything has it's strength, and weakness. The Amsoil would be the better long drain oil with it's TBN. No surprise there. We all know at 5,000 mile intervals it really doesn't matter what oil is used. But yes I'm sticking with the Platinum in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back