Maintenance day on my parents car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my parents come over today and I did some work in there car. It is a 2009 Ford Fusion 3.0L V6 with 248,000 miles and so far still runs like a top. Mom has been complaining of suspension noises for a month and I wanted to look at some other stuff to.

I changed the oil, I used Castrol Edge and Fram Ultra.
I changed the wiper blades.
I injected grease into the lower ball joint on the left side and that seemed to solve the loud squeaking noise. Will probably need to be replaced down the road but the suspension seems tight for now.
I eventually found that the right engine mount is bad and making a creaking pop noise. Looks like an easy fix for $100.
I was poking around under the hood and found that the 1 year old battery looks swollen and leaking. I told them to get that battery warrantied and replaced ASAP.
I also found that both washer nozzles that are mounted in the hood are so brittle that they leak and when I touched one it just fell apart.

What in the heck would cause a battery to look swollen and leak? Also I have a Motorcraft filter from that car with about 6000 miles that I need to cut up

Speaking of which, Ford Quick Lane does decent work at a reasonable price. Plus they do inspections. No appt. needed and runs around $25.

Donald...a 2009 with 248,000 miles? That's 31,000 per year. No lease for this Mom & Pop. And then to banish them to Jiffy Lube!

It's,...it's unAmerican!. Kira

The dealer is pretty honest with her and she usually gets the oil changed and tires rotated every 5000 to 7000 miles. I had the dealer install Conti Pure Contacts a couple years ago and that car is on the second set of Pure Contacts with zero complaints.

Current pic inside the oil fill hole

Good lord those internals look brand new! Not a bit of discoloration anywhere. What's been the regular oil used in this car?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Clean...you're a good son. Kira

Thank you! This poor thing has been through [censored] and back and just keeps going

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Good lord those internals look brand new! Not a bit of discoloration anywhere. What's been the regular oil used in this car?

Just regular oil changes at Ford for the most part, what ever oil they use. Maybe the highway miles have something to do with how clean it is.

Probably Castrol EDGE
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Is that the 6sp? If so, any issues with it?

Looks good!

Yes it is the 6 speed and so far no issues with it.

Dan that looks AWESOME. Well done indeed. I really like my Ford Fusion until I hit a deer going 64 mph and it totalled it.

I could be wrong but I think your battery could be enlarged due to being over charged for a long time and is sulfated really bad.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Jiffy Lube for relatives and leased vehicles.

Never for relatives you like and never for my leased vehicle. An F up by Jiffy Lube still causes me aggravation on a leased vehicle. Maybe Jiffy Lube for your enemies' vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back