Anyone know this torque wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
use another torque wrench that is known good.

Tighten lug nuts to a known value example 80lb-ft

put new torque wrench on see when they move if its aprox 80lb-ft its pretty accurate.

Great idea, thanks. I don't have another torque wrench though
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
No way that has any degree of accuracy. It's a cool show piece though.

I actually used this one today to tighten up lug nuts on the Civic. Should I redo them?

That type of torque wrench would be better used for engine work like tightening main or head bolts/studs or for checking pinion nut torque on a differential than for lugnuts. Makes more sense to use a click type on a lugnut.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I'll bet it 40 yrs old at least.

It has to be old....it was made in the U.S.
grin2.gif

Check for rust. The gearing which drives the dial might be horrid.

Check for bent beams inside and intact links. Could be good. Could be uncalibratable.

BTW, I used this wrench to find out torque specs on one of the lug nut, it was showing around 80ish. That's exactly the same torque I used while I was tightening all of them back. So I guess, it's NOT terribly bad?

I am going to benchmark it with a known wrench. But question is, since I can calibrate the dial by moving it around. It should not loose it's torque accuracy, or no?

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Made in "ATTLEBORO MASS, USA". I bet it's in perfect working condition and better than most you can buy today.

Check. Havn't looked it up but it might be an (expensive) variant of the beam type. If so, its inherently MUCH more reliable, and therefore likely to be more accurate, than that clicky [censored] that's so fashionable.

Couldn't get one in Taiwan ("Too old-fashioned". Taiwanese are fashion-victims too) so I had to get my GF to bring a cheap one back from the UK, but IIRC you can still get VERY expensive beam types in the USA.

If its an old clicky, it'd be worth doing a check-calibration. If its a beam its unlikely to need it.

Re calibration against a "known good" how do you know your "known good" is good?

Hang a bucket of water off the handle and do the sums. Tap water is accurate enough, but if you want to be picky, use distilled.

Sea water will introduce a systematic error.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
What's the best and cheap way to calibrate it? Thanks.
1)Put it on the head of, or nut on, a horizontal bolt that won't turn easily, with the torque wrench extending horizontally (in the perpendicular direction).
2) Hang a known weight from the handle.
3) Measure distance from bolt axis to handle.
4) Reading should equal that distance times the weight.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Have it calibrated or it is useless for anything requiring a degree of precision.

Can it be calibrated at a shop or?

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
What's the best and cheap way to calibrate it? Thanks.
1)Put it on the head of, or nut on, a horizontal bolt that won't turn easily, with the torque wrench extending horizontally (in the perpendicular direction).
2) Hang a known weight from the handle.
3) Measure distance from bolt axis to handle.
4) Reading should equal that distance times the weight.

Can I just use car lug nuts and hang weight with torque wrench and then measure the distance ?Would it make any sense or no?

Do you have a Discount Tire (America's Tire in some states I think) near you. When I was discussing my frustration with shops using impacts to finish, they said NEVER HERE and we check ours daily against our tester ... I didn't see it, but the manager said that since I asked, they'd checked the one used on my F150 right before tightening mine. Perhaps, with their superb customer service, they'd do a quick check on yours? If it is a load cell type, they can observe its reading when yours shows maybe 50, 100, and 150 and say if you need to do anything.

As others mentioned, the construction looks like a beam style with a dial indicator ... inherently good unless totally broken.

Problem with weight and length is where the weight is applied; in concept that is the best way I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back