Is there a cap wrench to fit Fram oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use a Fram TG7317 on the next oil change on my Civic, but the way the filter mounts at an angle on the engine makes it impossible to use a strap type oil filter wrench. You have to use a ratchet with an extension and a cap wrench to reach up in there to loosen the filter. The grip surface on a Fram makes the filter too big to fit either of my Honda cap wrenches. I was wondering of anyone else has had this problem and if there is a cap wrench that fits the xx7317 Fram? Thanks for any info you might have.

You shouldn't need any cap wrench. You're not supposed to tighten it super hard, just as much as you can do by hand. And the TG has a grippy texture end, so removing it by hand should be easy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You shouldn't need any cap wrench. You're not supposed to tighten it super hard, just as much as you can do by hand. And the TG has a grippy texture end, so removing it by hand should be easy
smile.gif

Agreed!

My Nissans use the same oil filter as your civic. I've never had a issue if it was done by me before. And i'm using smooth filters not the grippy ones.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Maybe Jimmy used Jiffy Ape on his last change and they torqued it real good

in that case his only hope is a hammer and screwdriver.

While I can't recall the last time I've needed a filter wrench to remove a filter, I also recommend the Lisle type filter wrench. I have a similar filter wrench, and it works quite well.

For anyone who might be interested, I was at Walmart today and found that Fram actually sells a cup wrench to fit their filters. They had several sizes available, the one for a PH7317 size was $3.37.

I test fitted a PH7317 from the shelf, it fit fine:

They also sell a tool very similar to the Lisle filter removal tool, $5.97:

I know the grip surface is there to make installation and removal easier and it does work very well. Unfortunately on my Honda there is not much room to get my hand up in the filter location to turn and tighten the filter, much less to remove it. I like to spin the filter on till it contacts the block then tighten by hand as much as possible then give it about another quarter turn with a cup wrench. I did not buy the Fram wrench today, my next oil change will be in April or May so I don't need it right now. It's good to know the tools are available when I might need them in the future though.

Sorry for the sideways pics, I tried several times to rotate them to the correct view, never could get that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back