Timken quality has dropped drastically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has probably already been posted on here, however after replacing a wheel hub on my car yesterday I noticed Timken bearings highly resemble cheap Chinese [censored].

The bearing I replaced was also a Timken and lasted me 3 years/60k which is good considering GM FWD cars eat hub bearings like clockwork. Upon the new bearing arriving in the mail the first thing I noticed was the box didn't say Made in United States this time, it said Made in South Korea.

Upon removing the bearing I noticed the plastic bearing seal was a different color than the one I had purchased 3 years ago. Lastly after removing the tire I immediately noticed the S. Korea bearing has shorter studs (1-1.5 cm difference) and the center hub that the wheel and fits over is now tapered and therefore considerably thinner than the old Made in USA bearing.

I'm not really expecting to get more than a year out of this cheap labor bearing after poking around online have seen prime examples of their inferior quality. One was an F250 where both front Timken replacements had a HUGE amount of slop after only 500 miles, a couple others had catastrophic failures where the lugs snapped off (on heavy duty diesel pickups) and customers having to replace bearings every 10-14 months.

Just thought I'd get that out there so no one else wastes their money on a poor quality bearing being sold at high quality prices.

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief Korea is not a low cost producer like China. They are however an efficient producer. Their bearings are among the highest quality you can buy, however they are not cheap.

Seems the knock offs are plenty now. I can remember when about the only thing that was being copied was flashlight batteries

I have a hard time believing RockAuto would sell counterfeit or even have a difficult time telling the difference.

15941229_1208634179257346_8233651316098987554_n.jpg

Old:
15965752_1208857199235044_1727980818562047014_n.jpg

New:
16106051_1208859809234783_2277002226706188648_n.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Korea makes good stuff... Not Like China..

The numerous visitor posts on their facebook page says otherwise. The bottom line is the shorter studs and thinner hub race = shorter bearing life. I doubt SK has the same standards of metallurgy as the USA.

Last edited:
They thread right on but the unthreaded portion of the stud is much shorter on the SK bearing vs the USA bearing. Essentially not made up to OEM Specs. The studs don't protrude past the end of the lug nuts like the old bearing did when fully torqued down. Therefore about 1/8 inch of female threads on the lug nuts are grabbing onto nothing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Return them and don't install if you are unhappy with poor quality.

I needed the car fixed ASAP. In the evenings I deliver pizzas for extra income. Back on Tuesday the Pirelli Tires I had ordered came in the mail so I rushed to my local tire shop and had them installed. They informed me the pass front bearing had slight play in it so I ordered a new bearing immediately. It was that or risk eating the inside of the brand new tires up like the OEM bearings did when they went out 3 years ago.

You're full of excrement. You haven't even driven on these bearings and you're already saying the quality has dropped? Because the seal color is different? Because it "looks" cheaper? Give me a break.

My Camry got new Timken bearings last summer and I put new hub assemblies on my Jeep a couple weeks ago. My car now drives silent and so does the Jeep.

Just because some people post stuff on Facebook doesn't mean it's true. Maybe they had 44" mud tires with wheel spacers.

I'm not saying they have poor initial quality, the car rides better. However I'm saying there is a quality issue compared to the USA bearings.
I've already decided the driver front is getting a Moog when it goes.

Last edited:
To my understanding Timken makes AC Delco which given how long ago it's been since they were replaced means it was pre korean labor. They were higher quality because every time it'd rain outside I'd turn off TC I'd spin tires which isn't good for bearings.

My previous tires were Khumo which if I'm corrct are made in SK. This set only lasted 45k miles. They had an 80k mile warranty and I had an alignment and tire rotation done every 6-8k miles, so Korean [censored] will never get my approval.

Last edited:
my understanding is that SOME Khumo tires are made in South Korea but the most price competitive models are made in China, as Korea is too expensive for the absolutely cheapest product lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back