Kum and Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these gas stations here in Iowa have been getting dramatic upgrades to their stations (Look much much better) and one just recently opened up in my town. It offers 93, first time I've seen that in this part of my state, EVER. My question is, how is the fuel quality of Kum and Go? also, anyone know how much ethanol is in it? Ive emailed and tried to contact anyone @ Kum and Go but nobody has responded to me.

Ive always taken my cars to BP.

I used to buy most of my gas at a Kum and Go, and certainly never had any problems. I have since moved to the other side of town, and now buy from a conoco/phillips station now. I am sure there is 10% ethanol in it like everybody.

I don't think their quality is any better or worse than Casey's or Quick Trip- all of which I've bought fuel from over the course of my 22 years behind the wheel and so far I've never had a fuel related problem.

As for the ethanol, it should be labeled at the pump. Usually straight 87 octane, 87 octane with 10% ethanol and sometimes premium with no ethanol.

Don't let the detractors around during here fool you- politics aside, 10% ethanol works just fine in pretty much everything and won't hurt a single thing. Too many people have driven too many miles trouble free, including me and my wife.

There aren't too many "bad" fuel stations anymore. Stricter regulations on underground tanks.

Honestly, a station with the most traffic is probably the best since they will have the freshest fuel. Almost all fuel contains ethanol now, and when fuel sits it will attract moisture.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I don't think their quality is any better or worse than Casey's or Quick Trip- all of which I've bought fuel from over the course of my 22 years behind the wheel and so far I've never had a fuel related problem.

As for the ethanol, it should be labeled at the pump. Usually straight 87 octane, 87 octane with 10% ethanol and sometimes premium with no ethanol.

Don't let the detractors around during here fool you- politics aside, 10% ethanol works just fine in pretty much everything and won't hurt a single thing. Too many people have driven too many miles trouble free, including me and my wife.

Here's my experience.
Kum and go give me the worst fuel economy around. Horrible food but good customer service.
Caseys gas gives me better fuel economy and had 91E0. Good food but horrible service.
There a lot of P66/ConocoPhillips and a few BP that gives me top tier for the same price. Usually not very nice stores except for a couple.
QuikTrip has given me the best fuel economy from my mpg tests on the focus. They offer 91E10 for the same price of 87E0 typically. Decent food and decent service and top tier.
I did notice the Walmart put up a new Murphy USA that had 93E10, first I've seen 93 in central IA.
In NW IA I like the Sinclair and Cenex stations for fuel. I rarely buy gas station food.

Ive never had a fuel related issue with any of them besides my non scientific mpg tests.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

thumbsup2.gif

Ive never had a problem with them. but reason for me asking about them is because my car is recommended i run premium to avoid knocking and their prone to knocking even on 91. Since this new Kum and Go showed up and they offer up 93 I wanted to know about their fuels to know if they're quality or not.

thanks to everyone who answered. filled up today with it and so far so good.

Off topic, but someone really didn't think through the name when they started the company. Or maybe they did it on purpose?

I buy almost exclusively Kum&Go gas (well, E85 for the truck), and have most all my driving life. Never a fuel related problem...ever.

Originally Posted By: volk06
QuikTrip has given me the best fuel economy from my mpg tests on the focus.

Hmmm. In my experience my Focus runs far from great on QT. It has ran the best on Shell.

The Ram runs like poo on QT no matter the grade. It runs the best on Chevron.

Kum & Go is usually high volume and the gas is no worse than anyone else. They tend to have the widest variety, I have to give them that. I have generally bought gas at Casey's and Kum & Go unless I was buying at my local farmer's coop which is Cenex. I get 5 cents a gallon off at that one by using their free fuel card. But when I am out and about, I have a preference for Kum & Go.

Casey's generally is the go to place for ethanol free. I don't think I have seen a Kum & Go with ethanol free, but there might be one around. Kum & Go is invested in some ethanol interests in the state. That is why it is the one place that is most likely to have E85 and other blends. And they tend to be the cheapest in regards to E85 as well.

Depending on where it is it could most likely be bp gas and if it is it is the same as a bp station.

I know they said when we had Kum and goes in this town the gas came from our terminal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Depending on where it is it could most likely be bp gas and if it is it is the same as a bp station.

I know they said when we had Kum and goes in this town the gas came from our terminal.

Did/do you work at a terminal too? Only asking because I'm done quite a bit of work at the terminals in DSM and while trucks from every brand get most of their gasoline there, the additives and mixtures can be quite different depending on the purchasing vendor.

Kum and Go is not top tier, so I doubt they would pay the same for BP fuel when Flint Hills is available, not top tier and cheaper. Although this does vary depending on location and logistics to the stations.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Hmmm. In my experience my Focus runs far from great on QT. It has ran the best on Shell.

QT in my area utilized BP and Phillips 66 gasolines, last I knew. No chevron and shells are rare here.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Did/do you work at a terminal too? Only asking because I'm done quite a bit of work at the terminals in DSM and while trucks from every brand get most of their gasoline there, the additives and mixtures can be quite different depending on the purchasing vendor.

Kum and Go is not top tier, so I doubt they would pay the same for BP fuel when Flint Hills is available, not top tier and cheaper. Although this does vary depending on location and logistics to the stations.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

QT in my area utilized BP and Phillips 66 gasolines, last I knew. No chevron and shells are rare here.

I work for the company that owns the former bp terminal. I am newish and on the pipeline side. At the terminal in my town the only additive is invigorate but it goes to many different brands. The blends % can be different but it is still bp additive. It is supplied from the same pipeline as the dsm terminal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back