Blunt feedback more or less --6gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wanting to get a new tank for my john boat and after looking at three different brands reviews from cabelas, basspro, west marine and amazon.

Attwood, Moeller, spectra?

Which is good for you?

I also read that there is something about poking a hole in the white ball that is in the lid underside of a certain tank. That is so the pressure will release and/or work like it should.

Since they run $50-70 I knew I would get good input here.

6 gallon size.

Last edited:
Ok. No one else backs that up?

My tank is the same tank we have had for over ten years so it's not entirely legal.
As for new fuel line would it benefit me better to get one with the fuel demand valve or not really?

It's an '97 2stroke evinrude. Runs great.

My $39 Wal-Mart Attwood 6 gal blows up like a balloon in the sun: No pressure relief/compensation. Previous unknown brand is still OK, will probably use it primarily instead of the Attwood.

Again....... is this true....I read that the little white plastic ball under the cap needs to be broken to act as a ball valve to be a pressure relief.

Is this true?

There are a ton of people poor mouthing every gas tank on a certain online stores website on all four brands of fuel tanks for boats.

I'm going to order a new fuel line with the on demand valve to keep the pressure from flooding my 15hp but I have never really had that problem.

Last edited:
Moeller here and old steel tanks.

I have two OMC steel tanks, and one Merc tank. Flushed with straight gas a few times (gas went into truck). Sand blast the bottom to find pin holes, fill with JB Weld and push in so it can bridge the hole on the inside. Sand flush and paint with Tractor Supply RED paint with hardener.

Steel tanks don't balloon. They vent OK. You can put some plastic C welting around the lower roll-bead on the corners if you don't want any scratches on the deck.

I ordered an Attwood 6 gal with gauge. I'm going to use permetex brush on thread sealer for the fuel hose attachment to keep from having leaks with teflon from pressure build-up. I went ahead and got the new fuel line set up with the "fuel-demand" valve just to see if it really helps prevent with a ballooning fuel tank and/or engine flooding.

I'll post my findings next weekend, hopefully.

Update. Fuel line with fuel demand valve with sprayless tank connection seems good to great so far.

The fuel tank cap TRICK is to take cap off and push that white relief valve ball under the cap. The Atwood 6gal with fuel gauge is great so far. I will leave boat in the heat of the day Sunday, I reckon, to see if that the RELIEF BALL IN CAP will sure enough keep the fuel tank from swelling too extreme. I put 2.5gals in tank. So expansion is not going to be as bad.

This Attwood 6 with gauge does have to be turned/screwed down like the fuel cap for your car or truck. Those three clicks.

Tank was around $60.
Fuel demand valve line for my setup was about $48 or so.

My old tank for this boat would swell too big as I would have to unscrew cap to relieve pressure all the time. The old fuel lines were the bad old black leaving residue when testing with a Q-tip to see how much was getting to the engine.

Happy boating

Don't forget to flush your motor once out of the water with ear muffs for around ten minutes when you get home after saltwater fishing runs.

Later

It DOES NOT SWELL WHEN PUSHING IN THAT VALVE under the cap.

It expands at a very small amount. The fuel demand valve helps a lot, too. No hard starts due to gas pressure build up.

No problem.

I found the trick somewhere else on the net and wanted to pass it along. I think it was on "the hull truth". Just doing a search for why the new tanks swell as bad as the old ones.

Unscrew the cap before purchasing if buying in store and see for yourself. Then you will be impressed when you get it out in your boat full of fuel. Hopefully no more ballooning of the tank.

The government mandate or whatever in 2011. Maybe it was a good thing.
Better fuel lines, fuel primer bulbs, and boat tanks.

Just is terrible that all of our power equipment has to be taken cared of differently than that of before 2008.

Ethanol fail. former P O. FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back