New Coffee maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Bunn Phase Brew died on me last week so I jumped on Google and started looking for a new one. I ended up with a Technivorm Moccamaster Cup One and so far I really like it.

Part of my reasoning for this was, and I hate to admit it, but I got sucked into the convenience of our Keurig Mini there for a couple years, no carafe to clean and a quick cup, in less than 4 minutes including grinding I could have a cup. Did I mention no carafe to mess with. But a few months ago I went back to the Bunn. I ordered some beans I just couldn't make strong enough with the Keurig.

With the Cup One it only takes a couple more minutes to make a much better cup with more control over the brew. With the Keurig I could only make a 6oz cup because of the limitations of the amount of coffee the reusable pods (Solofill/Ekobrew) hold. This one makes a 10oz cup and there is plenty of room to adjust the strength depending on the beans being used.

One other nice thing is it's made in Holland and has a five year warranty.

Thought this might be useful for any one using a Keurig for it's convenience but wanted better control over their brew.

Thanks for the turn on.

I say this because the plastic gears in our Bodum burr grinder just wore out and I feel the earth as well as myself have been violated by purposely cheap production methods.

Your notice was welcome news.

I opened a small cafe with a friend in my mid-20s and we installed a Toper coffee roaster and I learned how to roast.

I really think I will try and drink very small quantities of extremely high quality coffee as at my age I find I have trouble sleeping with too much cheap coffee consumption.

The Keurig use with Walmart coffees loaded into Dolphin pods has to stop.

I may bite the bullet and get a small Ranchilio that I learned how to be a barista on and just use it once a day or whip something up if I have a client with me for fun, sure makes the place smell good and help keep the eyes off my tool chest in my living room lol.

A young fellow at work recommended an Aeropress to go with my Hario grinder. I don't mind the extra work for a nice cuppa coffee on thee weekend. Is this a good coffee press?

Last edited:
I have an Aeropress (and numerous other types of presses, three Keurig machines and two drip coffee makers) and the only thing I use on a regular basis is a $3 Melita pour-over that I got at the grocery store. All the others sit in the pantry TBH. You may wish to give that a try.

I'm going to go back to phonics class and learn how to pronounce all those names...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I'm going to go back to phonics class and learn how to pronounce all those names...

Agreed. Technivorm Moccamaster sounds like something Clark Griswold would buy. Much harder to pronounce than 'Folgers'.

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
A young fellow at work recommended an Aeropress to go with my Hario grinder. I don't mind the extra work for a nice cuppa coffee on thee weekend. Is this a good coffee press?

Aeropress certainly beats the taste of Keurig, but personally I still prefer the taste of coffee from an espresso machine.

The Techi Moccamaster was rated tops by ATK. It not only got the water temp just right, the coffee basket was large enough to hold enough ground beans to actually make a strong brew. Most of the others failed these two criteria.

As you've discovered, it's quite expensive. However, it may last you the rest of your life too!

You know, you can just boil water in the microwave, say 2 cups, then add you coffee fresh coffee grounds, let it set or stir about 3 minutes, and pour thu a filter,,yep,its alot of trouble, but it works...

You know, you can just boil water in the microwave, say 2 cups, then add you coffee fresh coffee grounds, let it set or stir about 3 minutes, and pour thu a filter,,yep,its alot of trouble, but it works...

Boil the water and just throw in some instant coffee if your gonna go thru all the trouble.
Wifes Keurig makes good coffee, back in the day we used the percolator coffee pots, getting up in age and don't want to deal with all the prep for a cup of coffee, both happy with the Keurig.
thumbsup2.gif

You could also just chew on some coffee beans and call it a day.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83

Boil the water and just throw in some instant coffee if your gonna go thru all the trouble.
Wifes Keurig makes good coffee, back in the day we used the percolator coffee pots, getting up in age and don't want to deal with all the prep for a cup of coffee, both happy with the Keurig.
thumbsup2.gif

we really use a Bunn,,3 minutes and done,,,I do not boil water and such,lol, I would like to try that 300 dollar coffee maker,,but u know...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

You could also just chew on some coffee beans and call it a day.
smile.gif

that sounds good if I was from Texas..lol

We picked up a Ninja at the beginning of the month. So far I'm really liking it. It does carafes and singles. The single cup convenience was a big draw to it. My wife is starting her Doctoral program and she said, I can stop by Dunkin on the way home many days so I can stay up to work, or we get a single cup coffee maker. The choice was simple, 3.5 years x $2.50 (if she gets a normal coffee) x too many days = much more than a nice coffee maker. Doesn't hurt that it makes a far better cup of coffee than anything we've owned before.

1/2 cup of grounds to 48 0z water gives me my daily brew. It is set to start at 6 AM. It is a MR Coffee, IRRC. MDW has a press. to much trouble on a daily basis. We haven't tossed it, because it is non- electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back