2016 Harley 883 iron 360 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.

I assume this is the second change?

User shanneba has had quite the experience with copper in sportster UOA's might look at some of his. This one isn't too concerning if its just the second tank of oil as long as it drops to normal levels as changes progress.

You can use the Rouge Chopper Scavenger or similar scheme to increase the percentage of used oil per change if you like.

Did you actually pour the HD360 in out of bottles? Because it looks light compared to other UOAs of it, I'm wondering if the dealer used something else if you did not put it in yourself.

BTW, if you log into your Blackstone account you can export the PDF without the personal information so we can see the other specifics and comments.

The OP has an IRON 883 Sportster model
smile.gif

Looks like your engine is doing very good. I think I had about 190 ppm of copper (along with high lead and tin) at 1000 miles.

My last UOA at 20,000 miles my copper was down to 75.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba
The OP has an IRON 883 Sportster model
smile.gif

Looks like your engine is doing very good. I think I had about 190 ppm of copper (along with high lead and tin) at 1000 miles.

My last UOA at 20,000 miles my copper was down to 75.

My buell, running redline, had more copper than this.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Hmm.

I assume this is the second change? Yes. 6 months, 1200 miles or so. First was at 800

User shanneba has had quite the experience with copper in sportster UOA's might look at some of his. This one isn't too concerning if its just the second tank of oil as long as it drops to normal levels as changes progress. Not worried about the copper. My old buell had way more than this. Was using redline

You can use the Rouge Chopper Scavenger or similar scheme to increase the percentage of used oil per change if you like. Hmm?

Did you actually pour the HD360 in out of bottles? Because it looks light compared to other UOAs of it, I'm wondering if the dealer used something else if you did not put it in yourself. Handed the bottles to them to use. It sheared down a bit likely

BTW, if you log into your Blackstone account you can export the PDF without the personal information so we can see the other specifics and comments.
. Hmm ok.

UOA looks pretty normal to me, for a brand new bike.

As someone else commented, for HD oil it looks a little light for a 50 BUT I think your bike has a shared sump?
Even if not, would not be concerned.

The only oil that is shared is the transmission and primary. The motor oil is just for the motor.I wonder if most of the bikes usage is short runs in alot of stop and go traffic, for it to shear it down so fast. I would try Valvoline Vr-1 20/50 wt, and do another UOA after 2500 miles.,,,

Would have short 1 mile trips 2 times a week, every day for a month or so. Now I have a Ebike I use for short trips. I'll probably hit 3000 miles in one year.

The sportster does have gear driven cams and roller bearing mains. That would likely shear the oil more

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

You can use the Rouge Chopper Scavenger or similar scheme to increase the percentage of used oil per change if you like.
Hmm?

https://roguechopper.com/

Gives you a more complete oil change as Harleys typically leave around a qt in the system using a normal change. Suspect you would see wear metal levels drop faster using it.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
The only oil that is shared is the transmission and primary. The motor oil is just for the motor.I wonder if most of the bikes usage is short runs in alot of stop and go traffic, for it to shear it down so fast. I would try Valvoline Vr-1 20/50 wt, and do another UOA after 2500 miles.,,,

Thanks for the explanation on the sportster sumps. I knew they shared something unlike my RK.
Since the OP only had one oil change, one UOA and only 2000 miles on the bike I dont thinks he needs to do/change anything from what he is doing unless of course he wants too, so little mileage on the bike to know anything.
Agree VR1 seems to turn in good numbers on HD engines, if numbers is what one is looking for.
If he is only going to ride 3000 miles a year, bike should last a few decades.:eek:)

Last edited:
harley don't blend oils, just rebrand for high $$$$. there are many better oils for less $$$$$, changes are simple + a Wix filter will do well! if you ride in colder weather a 10 w or 15 w would be a better choice. my 06 XL1200L rarely started with a 20-50 when it got colder but a 10-40 cured that!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
harley don't blend oils, just rebrand for high $$$$. there are many better oils for less $$$$$, changes are simple + a Wix filter will do well! if you ride in colder weather a 10 w or 15 w would be a better choice. my 06 XL1200L rarely started with a 20-50 when it got colder but a 10-40 cured that!!

Well since he lives in Hawaii he doesnt have to worry about temperature.

Harley oil is a nice robust oil. Harley oils are not "rebranded" oils.
Its not cheap oil by any means but no OEM oils from any manufacturer is. Still you could do far worse, its a proven stout oil and there is certainly nothing wrong with the OP using it. Some people buy much more expensive oil based on nothing but marketing.

Harley oil is formulated by Citgo for Harley Davidson and tested by Harley Davidson in their motorcycles for hundreds of thousands of miles.
MANY oils on the market today, more so the "boutique" oils are produced in the same way.

With the above said, I dont use HD oil, I did in the beginning and after writing this post I feel like using it again! *L*
No other oil has been proven in UOAs on this forum to be any better when it comes to wear and none proven over the long run.
I still do use their Formula+ in the Trans and Primary.

Bottom line, its whatever makes us happy, my only reason for this post is I believe HD oil to be every bit as good and better as the oils other people use, including myself, maybe a bit more expensive then other for perceived value but whatever, like any OEM its not like its a mass market item either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back