What sounds like bad sway bar bushings...but isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Nobody else thinks it's the control arm bushings . . . interesting.

Read my post, 2 posts or so before yours.

I hope he posts a follow up so we know what was causing the noise.

Done some further diagnosis on this...rechecked the sway bar and took it off, not that.

I took the tip from here and sprayed tire shine...well Meguire's rubber protectant (water based so it's safe) on the upper control arm bushings and the noise changed pitch slightly. Going to work it in a bit more over the next day and will report back.

Has anyone ever had upper control arm bushings squeak?

Should it move at all? Sorry I'm having a hard time picturing that. Shouldn't it move exactly with the LCA?

One other observation I made while doing an oil change- with the hood open the noise is louder and definitely sounds like it's coming from somewhere mid to top of the driver's side wheel well. I got a needle attachment for my grease gun and tried to cover the UCA bushings and it seems to have changed the noise a bit.

FWIW, I had a very similar noise and set of symptoms on my Nissan Frontier which I posted about a month or so ago. The noise was about identical, and appeared to be coming from the mid/top of the drivers wheel. My noise got silent after I ran in rain, then started up again after about a week things dried up. For that reason, I was suspecting some sort of bushing. It turned out to be the ball joints.

Sounds like a ball joint creak to me too. I can usually hear them turn a corner down the street, or driving down a bumpy street- it's that distinctive to me.

I'd say it's the lower ball joint if I had to guess as its the one with all the weight on it. Just because it's not loose doesn't mean it's not bad.

I couldn't see from your video if the boot was torn, missing or otherwise pulled up from the base, but it is the ball joint becomes suspect number one right now!

Boot is in good shape!

I just ordered some upper control arm bushings, since the ones on there now were cracked and I sprayed some silicone spray on them and the noise seemed to change. $12, so the least expensive option, if that doesn't work I'll move on to the ball joint.

Not the control arm bushings. Next up is that LBJ.

I know I should replace the passenger side too, but it's not making noise yet and it's going to be in the single digits next week so I think I'll hold off on that side for now. Not like it would save time or money to do both sides at the same time.

Did you inspect the upper ball joint when you did the bushings?

Have you tried jacking under the lower control arm and grabbing the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock and then alternately push and pull on the tire? Any play means the upper ball joint is bad.

Also wondering if you sprayed that shine/conditioner on the lower control arm bushings? Or did I miss that in one of your posts?

Hope you find the source soon!

Did silicone spray on the lowers with no change and the upper is a year old, can't find any play anywhere in the suspension.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Interesting, thanks for the update, I saw that thread. Upper or lower ball joints?

Both. And on Frontiers, evidently it's cheaper just to replace the control arms. It wasn't cheap, but riding in silence is priceless.
smile.gif
I may have been able to do the repair myself, but wasn't relishing the job of wrenching on components that have seen 9 years of WI salt.

I should update that thread in case someone's searching and finds it later. Thanks for reminding me.

It is fixed.

It was the upper shock mount on the driver's side. As I rocked the Jeep the mechanic got under it and watched the shock/coil and noticed that the shock shaft was moving around. So I ordered a new coil over mount from Mopar (aftermarket seemed like a gamble, this was $100), and it's back together and quiet now.

Here are some pics!

Look at how the bushing completely separated from the molded rubber.

Thanks! I can't believe it's gone. The mechanic is top notch, can't say enough good things about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back