Maintaining a new battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced my original battery. My car does 90 % short trips. I live on base and the gym and work are very short round trips, approx 3 miles round trip. I know short drives are killer for a battery as it doesn't get a chance to charge back up after the shot trips.

I take it out once a week for a 15-20 mile drive. Would it be bad for the battery to charge it once a week with my Diehard automatic charger? Charges at 10 amps and then goes into maintenance mode. Would it be wise to charge it weekly to full or am I risking a premature failure?

Advice?

The 15-20 mile weekly drives should help. But it wouldn't hurt to connect it to a charger/maintainer once in a while. Once a week might be overkill. Maybe once a month?

Once a month is like what is suggested by lawn tractor manufactures to have a good charge put on. I would go with that

Your 15 to 20 mile trip once a week should be enough to top off the battery.

There are solar battery chargers that you could add, but there is some danger of over-charging.

It won't do it any harm as long as you don't use an old fashioned unregulated charger.

I'd charge it once per week and think of it as a diagnostic process. You only get to know a battery when you charge it.

If it reaches full charge in no time then you'll know once per week is too often.

If it takes several hours then you'll know it really does need charging once per week.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Would it be wise to charge it weekly to full or am I risking a premature failure?

Advice?

Yes, charge it with a smart charger weekly. Lead acid battery has longest lifetime when kept near 100% state of charge, as this minimizes sulfating of plates.

http://www.batteryfaq.org

Quote:
THE BOTTOM LINE:
Driving habits could significantly contribute to battery undercharging and a shorter service life due to a gradual build up of sulfation. Vehicle's OEM charging system could exacerbate the challenge of round trips under five miles--especially during bad weather, with large aftermarket electrical add ons, or inactivity during hot weather.

The six major keys to longer battery service life are:

Using the battery manufacturer's recommended temperature compensated charging voltages and procedures

Reducing the average Depth-of-Discharge

Practicing good preventive maintenance such as removing terminal corrosion/oxidation and adding distilled water to wet batteries to always keep the plates covered

Keeping the batteries cool in hot climates or fully charged especially when it is below freezing

Reducing the number of discharge-charge cycles

Periodically fully recharging batteries to "desulfate" them

How well your battery is recharged by the vehicle is entirely depependent on the vehicle's voltage regulator.

As for how much capacity is actually required to start a modern fuel injected vehicle, it is very little.

I have an AGM battery which when being charged will basically eventually take less than 0.05 amps at any voltage when fully charged.

If I start my engine on this absolutley fully charged AGMbattery, when the amperage tapers back to 0.05 amps or less, the battery can be again considered fully charged.

How long does this take? For amps to taper back down to 0.05a, at 14.7v, after starting my engine?

Under 45 seconds.

back when engines required much more cranking this was different, but the fact is that not much of the batteries capacity is required to start the engine. The parasitic draw of the door locks, engine computer, ect in a 48 hour period cumulatively draws more from the battery than truning the key to start for 2.5 seconds.

problem is, when the battery is discharged to 95%, it takes ~1.5 hours to get it to 100% charged, at ideal voltages, which wuor alternator will not be allowed to seek.

So 95% to 100% takes 1.5 hours of driving, or 1.5 hours on your plug in charger.

Which is more efficient?

Your battery wants to be at 100% at all times to be happiest.
How much effort are you willing to go through to have the happiest battery possible?

Most people could care less, and simply replace the rented battery when the rental contract expires. Those wanting to extend the length of that contract to the maximum, plug into the grid to top up the battery monthly, or after any significant level of depletion has occurred, intentionally or otherwise..

Then you have the something for nothing crowd, who seek to kill a battery within the warranty period and get something for nothing.

I'd hate to be a battery retailer. What other product can be intentionally ruined, and have replaced for free?

Well said. I want to keep the battery is top shape and I'll top it off every week or two.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

I'd hate to be a battery retailer. What other product can be intentionally ruined, and have replaced for free?

Why? They can buy batteries for $15-20. They make money even when they they have a claim.

Check the voltage of the die hard charger while it's in bulk mode.

I used to have one that supposedly was a good charger sold under the die hard gold lineup and was automatic, but would bring my flooded batteries above 16v just like the Schumacher I had.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Original battery was 2 years old and had a lot of sulfation.

How did you determine the amount of sulfation?

Popped the vent caps and there was visual sulfation between the plates. Compared the plates to a new battery and the old battery looked like there was baking soda on the plates within the cells.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Your 15 to 20 mile trip once a week should be enough to top off the battery.

There are solar battery chargers that you could add, but there is some danger of over-charging.

+1 there is this one that has a micro controller to prevent over charging and with the available lighter socket adapter there is no need to even open the hood.
Put it on the dash on a piece of styrofoam and plug it in and your done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q8...ers-20&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-CHARG-TEN...KNFNKPB9RA582H3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back