Hyundai GDI vs MPI OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2017 Elantra "Value Edition". Was flipping through the books and they recommend an OCI of 6,200 for the direct injection engine they supply for this car and a 7500 mile OCI for the multi-port injection engine. I have the MPI one, it's a 2.0L. The 147HP has more get-up and go than I thought it would. Fairly certain it'd beat the 3.5L Duratec in my '10 Taurus that had 263HP off of the line. The overall smoothness of this powertrain is excellent in my opinion. And I think they knocked it out of the park when it comes to the gearing in the 6-speed AT.

Did I miss something or is it unusual for a car company to recommend a shorter OCI for a GDI engine?

Last edited:
Its been said direct injection engines are harder on oil, plus Hyundai sucks.

Originally Posted By: maximus

Yet you have one listed in your sig?

I certainly don't believe that Hyundai is better than any other brand. No matter which way you slice it, all car companies have their strong and weak points. What I do know is that Hyundai has come a long long way in the last ten years and I'm willing to bet my money on their quality.

I'd probably say that the manual recommendations have become more refined with the prevalence of direct injection. My '13 Hyundai GDI lists a 7500 mile normal OCI with a 3750 mile severe service recommendation. I typically change it in the 5K mile range due to GDI typically being harder on oil, possible fuel dilution issues, etc. The 6200 mile recommendation is probably an acknowledgement of that idea.

Congrats on your new Elantra. While they might not be as edgy in the styling department, I think they're easily an overall better car than the last generation.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: maximus

Yet you have one listed in your sig?

Yes sir and I've owned it for 6 years. I drove it off the dealer's lot November 2010 so I'm allowed to say they suck. It's been an ok car, but not great. Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours.

Severe service is 3750 or 6 months i believe and less on the direct injection if i am correct.. I think Hyundai builds a good vehicle and they back it up with the best warranty. However they are not cheap anymore but like they say sometimes you get what you pay for.
Good luck with your new Hyundai good choice.

Hyundais get better and better every year it seems. So get the newest one possible. A 2015+ will be leaps and bounds better than a 2011.

There's a big difference between a car that sucks and one that's average.

Stick to 5K OCI, Hyundai is going through pains that VW/Audi, BMW and other went thru some 10-15yrs ago. It is fuel dilution issue in DI engines. If Hyundai recommends 0/5W20, move to ILSAC GF-5 5W30 and use full synthetic like Mobil1 5W30 EP.
The reason why your Hyundai feels stronger is 6 speed AT. However, uphill where torque matters, Taurus would kill it.
Hyundai came long way, but far, far from mainstream crowd, so be conservative in OCI's.

As a former VW owner, I doubt Hyundai is going through anywhere near the problems of what VW/Audi/BMW made a decade ago and their DI designs seem to reflect that along with other manufacturers. My DI Hyundai's four years old with no fuel dilution issues (Audi that needed walnut blasting at 30,000 miles even when you did all the right things tells me things ain't what they used to be....

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
As a former VW owner, I doubt Hyundai is going through anywhere near the problems of what VW/Audi/BMW made a decade ago and their DI designs seem to reflect that along with other manufacturers. My DI Hyundai's four years old with no fuel dilution issues (Audi that needed walnut blasting at 30,000 miles even when you did all the right things tells me things ain't what they used to be....

Well, someone needed to take care of problems. Hyundai, Toyota etc. always move to technology once other companies solve the infant issues.
However, I would not be that confident in GDI system in Hyundai.
For example my VW CC i had and Tiguan I still have, never show any fuel in oil but they destroy TBN in oil.
I once did UOA on M1 0W40 and TBN in 5K went from 11 to 2.7! At the same time cst went from 13.5 to 13.3.

DI engines are more prone to fuel dilution and produce more combustion sooty particles that wind up in engine oil, so give Hyundai credit for suggesting a shorter OCI.

Alternatively, Honda seems to have not changed its oil life monitor logic a bit when transitioning from port to direct injection; maybe this reflects different engineering or, more likely, a shorter powertrain warranty.

Maybe it's more that I'm not confident in Hyundai's GDI in particular as I am in the more recent direct injection offerings that don't seem to have the carbon issues and related. I've had zero problems in that vein and related to fuel delusion...so I don't subscribe to the view of some here that they'll finally "get direct injection right" by the 2030 model year. I think recent evidence suggests that, to the larger extent, this isn't the case. You have to maintain it correctly...and maybe that's easier done with more modern iterations than what was put out a decade ago and you'd get these issues no matter what you did. I hear you on the "tough on oil" part though...which is why I never want to go longer than 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Danh
DI engines are more prone to fuel dilution and produce more combustion sooty particles that wind up in engine oil, so give Hyundai credit for suggesting a shorter OCI.

Alternatively, Honda seems to have not changed its oil life monitor logic a bit when transitioning from port to direct injection; maybe this reflects different engineering or, more likely, a shorter powertrain warranty.

I run 2gen TSI engine in Tiguan. Fuel dilution was never an issue. But TBN depletion? Holy moly!

Im not so sure.. My 2012 Santa Fe 3.5 blows the doors off of my Buddies 6cyl Toyota SUV and his Taurus.. Hyundai is built to last like the older Toyotas and Honda's used to be but with a much much better warranty. Don't forget Hyundai is the 4th largest automaker in the world.. they also made the second in initial quality just behind Porsche and Lexus from j.d. power..

I also intend to purchase a new 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition this spring. Since I do mainly driving in NJ suburbs, I will do 5000 mile OCI's. I really
think the new 2017 Elantra will be a car that you can buy outright and keep 10 plus years with no worries....NO GDI, NO Turbo and NO CVT!

Originally Posted By: flinter
I also intend to purchase a new 2017 Elantra SE Value Edition this spring. Since I do mainly driving in NJ suburbs, I will do 5000 mile OCI's. I really
think the new 2017 Elantra will be a car that you can buy outright and keep 10 plus years with no worries....NO GDI, NO Turbo and NO CVT!

Love mine! And you have some of the reasons why I got one. Simple (as a 2017 car can be) that drives well, gets great gas milage and just checks off all the boxes for a good price.

Mine is getting free oil changes every 7,500 miles (about 3-4 months) with the dealership. Valvoline 5w-30 semi-syn with Hyundai oil filter.

Take care, Bill

I'm very impressed with my wife's 17' Elantra SE. Only quip I have for it is no dipstick for the 6-spd trans of which is a very nicely executed design. Sport mode is extra handy off the line. Eventually I want to change out the ATF and it does have both a drain bolt and fill level hole so at least its still accessible. The 2.0L MPFI is a great engine so far and as ergonomics and maintenance access goes, everything appears well thought out. If you have not looked at and driven in a 2017 Hyundai I would refrain from any past experience with them prior to providing any opinions. I was very impressed with our new 2017, and this is even comparing it to Toyota, Honda and Subaru ( also have a Forester).

Tras dipsticks have long been done away with generally. I've done two drain and fills on my Sonata. It's pretty easy with "full hole." Also, the transmission has been about the most reliable piece of the car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back