New Winter Tires from Nokian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Nokian Tyres renews its studded tyre range by launching its new flagship products: the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9, designed for passenger cars, and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV for sports utility vehicles.

- We have developed a new stud technology for our Hakkapeliitta winter tyres; different studs in different parts of the tyre operate as active safety equipment and adapt to all winter weather. This patented functional studding solution is unique within the tyre industry, and it offers the driver both excellent longitudinal grip and unparalleled lateral grip when cornering under winter conditions as well as stable, comfortable bare-road handling, says Juha Pirhonen, Nokian Tyres’ Vice President, Research and Development.

https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news...ter-tyre-range/

Originally Posted By: Danno
Odd launch date when winter tire purchases are basically done.

Retailers can order in spring of 2107, and will be available to consumers in fall of 2017

Originally Posted By: Danno
Odd launch date when winter tire purchases are basically done.

I wonder if it's a patent issue. Once they file the patent, the clock starts ticking. Not just to when others could use their work, but for others to figure out how to copy "without copying". Seems an odd time but perhaps if they get the word out now, get buyers and sellers talking, perhaps they could have a strong seller come next winter season.

We will see them in in 2-3 years if its similar to the past launches.
Europe gets at least 2 full years ahead of USA/Canada.

So if we are lucky winter 2018.

TiresByWeb in Michigan might have them available at the end of 2017.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Love Nokian. Probably the best snow tires made.

They are Finnish, us Finns know a thing or two about winter driving, maybe you already guessed from all the famous Finnish rally drivers
smile.gif

I do think their hakka8 is the best modern studded snow tire available.
The R2 is also very good.

unfortunately with the 30-40% price premium and low availability I doubt I ever own them.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Love Nokian. Probably the best snow tires made.

They are Finnish, us Finns know a thing or two about winter driving, maybe you already guessed from all the famous Finnish rally drivers
smile.gif

Love me some WRC. I was a big Tommi Makinen and Marcus Gronholm fan and I'm a big Jari-Matti Latvala fan so I'm very excited for this 2017 season with Tommi heading the new Finland based Toyota team and Jari-Matti driving for them. Going to be awesome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
...They are Finnish….

Recently, Nokian seems to be a little less Finnish, and a little more Russian. They have 2 tire factories in Russia, and their interim CEO is a Russian.

The r2 is 206 each in my size when available, the michelin xice xi2 latitude is 150.06
also at least 70 rebate on michelin never any manufacturer rebates on nokian tires

so the nokian r2 is around 74$ more per tire or about 55% more per tire
(206-(150-(70/4)))=206-132.5=$73.5

And that is just vs michelin which are among the highest priced.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The r2 is 206 each in my size when available, the michelin xice xi2 latitude is 150.06
also at least 70 rebate on michelin never any manufacturer rebates on nokian tires

so the nokian r2 is around 74$ more per tire or about 55% more per tire
(206-(150-(70/4)))=206-132.5=$73.5

And that is just vs michelin which are among the highest priced.

Yes, based on what I've been able to find, Michelin set would come out better in terms of price than Nokian w/ and w/o a rebate although Nokian does offer rebates from time to time. The most recent one was last year and covered WR G3 tires only.
https://www.nokiantiresrebates.com/Public/ExpressRebateLandingPage.aspx
https://login.360incentives.com/Shared/Uploads/218/Library/Documents/Winter_2016.pdf

From watching the video, it looks like the studs in the center of the tread have a roughly triangular shape (albeit 7 sided) and the studs at the edges of the tread have a tripod type of shape.

Nokian also introduces the Hakkapeliitta44, for "winter brodozers":

https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news...f-the-line-pro/

Quote:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 44 handles with ease on all road surfaces. The enforced shoulder blocks balance handling in sudden situations, and the supported tyre’s centre rib ensures precise feel of the road. The special Nokian Tyres Polar Expedition tread compound combines first class winter grip with durability excelling in extreme cold weather. Nokian Hakkapeliitta 44 can be studded and there are 172 stud holes on the tyre. The main use of the tyre is without studs, however.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 44 is the beginning of a completely new chapter in the cooperation between the two experts of the Arctic area. The tyre is available in the size LT475/70 R17, and is especially designed for Arctic Trucks’ heavy SUV-type 4x4 vehicles. The production of the tyre will begin within the next few months and it is available exclusively through Arctic Trucks.

That's not a "brodozer" at all. It's a real truck that goes way off road in the Arctic. A serious truck, not a mall cruiser with big tires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back