Train horns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the railroad, and believe me, unless those are actual train horns, some of those are not as loud as the real ones. I routinely am within 10 feet of the horns when they honk 'em.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I work in the railroad, and believe me, unless those are actual train horns, some of those are not as loud as the real ones. I routinely am within 10 feet of the horns when they honk 'em.

No not actual train horns. I think you can get KL5a horns but they are huge. Too huge.

How do you have any hearing if they are honking those that close to you? I will never honk even the aftermarket train horns near pedestrians.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
The pranks on youtube with those installed on regular cars are pretty funny...

They are and I'm up for causing a little mischief myself but Jesus if some old person had a heart attack that wouldn't be too cool. That being said parking next to a golf driving range would be a friggin riot.
Okay evil trav wins, where do I get them.
lol.gif

If I go to Florida again I will have an air horn set stuck on the top of the Xterra. All my known friends and kin from there have had serious accidents there. Common issue to them all, to d$%@ old to drive. So like the old cell phone ad goes "can you hear me NOW?"
Maybe a set of cattle guards too.

Last edited:
If you drive in a way that finds you leaning on the horn all the time you should review your driving style. You might want to try leaving your headlights on.

We hear this 24/7 in Columbus,NE with UPRR running sixty or more trains a day through here. No big deal. Big horns and a little ***** eh spaz? Good way to get more than your share of law enforcement watching you.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: THafeez
The pranks on youtube with those installed on regular cars are pretty funny...

They are and I'm up for causing a little mischief myself but Jesus if some old person had a heart attack that wouldn't be too cool. That being said parking next to a golf driving range would be a friggin riot.
Okay evil trav wins, where do I get them.
lol.gif

I'm looking at them here.

http://trainhorns.net/

Looking at the Landslide kit, as the horns are 12" i like the El Diable but i'm not sure i can fit them in the front as they are 16". 16' horns would have to be mounted in the rear of the truck where my spare tire resides.

If i install a set, it will be wired separate of the factory horn. Separate button so the factory horn works off the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Is ur horn not loud enough?

lets just say, sometimes i need a bit more horn.

I saw a Geo Metro with a horn mounted on the roof of the car when I was driving trucks in the west (Wyoming or Colorado probably). I think the owner was a big rig mechanic.

Are they not like big trucks that have a city and a highway horn?

So an excuse me please move horn and a get out of the way right now or else type horns.

I must admit I fooled around with horns on an old subaru that had NO horn to speak of - often wasn't even heard. I just started adding whatever bargain bin junk -- and at some point an ooga horn. At the end, there were 4 mis-matched (un-tuned) horns + the ooga. It took some creative wiring. Eventually the ooga got a separate dash button for picking up the kids. The horn pad triggered all, the dash button the ooga only.

Pro's. I was heard in a panic when someone was about to hit me. It felt powerful to carry a "bigger stick."

Con's. While not train-horn loud, it was Too much. It would cause other cars to panic/flinch/lurch if I used it. I saw it causing an accident one day, getting someone hurt. So I pulled one or two out.

Who do you want to be in your community?

-m

I bought a deactivated (I think) munition from a cluster bomb when I was young, it was a bit smaller than a baseball and had some good heft to it...you could see the outlines of some of the pellets embedded in it and I seem to remember that it also had a few good edges on it. Haven't seen it in years, I would guess that somebody "borrowed" it ages ago.

That would have been perfect to huck at some moron in a car sounding his train horn at me...

I have them in some of my trucks on a separate button on the wheel.

Why? People do not understand that there is no way to "weave around" a jackhole that does something illegal or stupid, when you are hauling multiple tons behind you.

I'd rather an idiot drive away feeling annoyed than go home in the coroner's van. We practice the same method as every other truck driver out on the road:

We're not going to cause a rollover or Jack knife trying to save your reckless butt. We are going straight through you.

People need to understand that the horn sounds like Armageddon is imminent, because it is.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

N

How do you have any hearing if they are honking those that close to you?
Earplugs and they are mounted at the very top of the locomotive.

Now that I'm almost 56 years old I don't prank people very much anymore.
I don't use my horn very much (seriously), but when I do, I want a startlingly loud one. I'd want somebody to do the same to me if it prevented an accident.
Oh the humanity, those poor idiot drivers.

Train horns certainly get attention. With that said, I would avoid them unless you are a big rig.

My friend has them in his Duramax truck. Some people laugh, others get really, really upset. There are lots of gun carrying crazy people out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back