For a 4th gen ram 1500 4600 or 5100 bilstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at getting new shocks put in probably a tired truck's original shocks to rest.

I didn't want to level my truck. I just liked the handling and feel of the truck that my '99 Tacoma TRD had.

The 5100s are not all that more expensive to get over the 4600 series. If the 5100 I wouldn't take advantage of the 0-2.1 leveling just because I'm not a fan of level look unless later on I want to. For that reason the 5100s are the way to go.

What's the real benefit of leveling a truck for function not looks?
Maybe a better approach angle?
Thanks on any of you that have suggestions. OR that have bilsteins and love them.

If you don't at least consider the Gabriel Ultras then you missed the best shock for the dough.

My sig car has Bilsteins on it stock. They may be the best shock made, but they are ridiculously expensive. For a Truck, the Ultras are the bomb. My 14 RAM has 40k and I can't wait to get some on it...

From my experience the stock shocks Dodge uses are junk when they're new. I had an '01 Ram 1500 I bought new and it rode rough and bouncy until I put heavy duty shocks all around. My 2012 Silverado got heavy duty shocks on the back (it has struts on the front and they rode ok). I'm thinking you don't have to spend big bucks on decent shocks either. Mine were about 50 bucks a piece for my Chevy. Huge difference in ride quality. They take the bounciness out.

The Tacoma in my signature had 4600's from the factory. I don't haul anything more than tree branches or tow anything above a small utility trailer to the dump; but my 4600's always seemed soft and under equipped for the job of a truck shock. The day I put a set of Bilstein 5100's on my truck was the single best thing I have done in the 8 years have owned it. You will pay a little more for them, but they last a very long time and will really wake your truck suspension up. Check prices HERE while you are price shopping. They run pretty good sales from time to time. Good luck!

Ultras rode like junk on my Dakota. Bouncy and stiff at the same time. Can feel every asphalt transition and small pot hole.

Got rid of that truck and never changed the shocks. But I can say that 4600's on my Jeep is incredible. I see no need for the 5100 due to how well the 4600s dampen.

I've got the B6 4600 series on my Envoy, Expedition and Explorer. I'm happy and they certainly made a significant difference in handling - I wouldn't change them with anything else. No experience with the 5100, which I believe are adjustable.

I had the same questions a few years ago with my 2010 Ford FX4. I went with the 5100s because everyone said the ride was better and there is the bonus of adjusting the ride height (which I did to level the truck), the ride difference was truly day and night. I would highly recommend them. Also, shop around online, I saved a bundle.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Ultras rode like junk on my Dakota. Bouncy and stiff at the same time. Can feel every asphalt transition and small pot hole.

Got rid of that truck and never changed the shocks. But I can say that 4600's on my Jeep is incredible. I see no need for the 5100 due to how well the 4600s dampen.

Absolutely not true in our experience. We have them on a Mazda/Ranger, some 3500 Savana service vans, a couple of Silverados, a yukon, and they will be going on our 14 RAM ASAP.

Great shock. Even better price.

I have used the 4600 and wouldn't consider using anything else and at under $300 for 4 for many trucks they are a steal. There are a few other shocks that might be as good or better for off road but not for the price.
They are a fantastic road shock, from what I can tell the only reasons for leveling other than cosmetic are clearance issues with oversize tires and drooping front end with plow blades.

I have the Bilsteins on my Durango and WJ, forget the model #, but they are worth the money, search around and you can get a decent deal on them

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Looking at getting new shocks put in probably a tired truck's original shocks to rest.

I didn't want to level my truck. I just liked the handling and feel of the truck that my '99 Tacoma TRD had.

The 5100s are not all that more expensive to get over the 4600 series. If the 5100 I wouldn't take advantage of the 0-2.1 leveling just because I'm not a fan of level look unless later on I want to. For that reason the 5100s are the way to go.

What's the real benefit of leveling a truck for function not looks?
Maybe a better approach angle?
Thanks on any of you that have suggestions. OR that have bilsteins and love them.
I know that this isn't what you asked, but the last time I replaced shocks on a truck (98 or 88 Silverado) I installed Monroe Reflex shocks. I was well pleased. Maybe around 50 bucks each. Bilsteins were too rich for me. Gabriel makes a quality product as well, but I thought the ride quality of the Monroe's was better.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
The Tacoma in my signature had 4600's from the factory. I don't haul anything more than tree branches or tow anything above a small utility trailer to the dump; but my 4600's always seemed soft and under equipped for the job of a truck shock. The day I put a set of Bilstein 5100's on my truck was the single best thing I have done in the 8 years have owned it. You will pay a little more for them, but they last a very long time and will really wake your truck suspension up. Check prices HERE while you are price shopping. They run pretty good sales from time to time. Good luck!

Like I said I had the 4600s on my Tacoma and liked all the years we had it.

How different was it if you can just PM me on the ride after you switched to 5100s?

I can't offer any comparison as my truck had the 5100's on when I bought it used a few years back. That said, I've been very happy with them. The ride is well balanced and they have handled the occasional aggressive driving very well. Just switched from factory load range p-metrics to LT range E tires this year and still find the ride quality to be good. Shocks were put on at some point before purchased the truck with 37k miles- currently at 85k miles with no signs of leakage or other problems.

I've got 5100s on the front and the 4600s on the back. I'd ordered a set of 1500s all the way around but the rears were on national backorder. the vender said the rear 4600s were valved the same as the 5100s. I wasn't sure so I called bilstein. they saw this as a valid question and forwarded me to someone there who could look up the specs. For my tundra, they were the same.

The front improved over the stock worn oem bilsteins very nicely. The rear is so stiffly sprung with the towing package that there is not much a shock can do.

I half-leveled mine -- brought the front up an inch. I wish I hadn't, because it throws it off a little when trying to get the weight-distributing hitch dialed in with our trailer. If I ever pull the front off, I'll drop it back to stock, or leave a 1/2" lift on the front.

-m

MEEV that's what I was wondering. If I really do get the 5100s shoukd I really think about leaving them at stock ride height?

I watched a YouTube video on top ten signs/symptoms of shocks going bad and the number two reason... NOSE DIVING when abrupt braking.

I GOT THAT bad!

As soon as I get back from deer hunting in feb I'm going to put new shocks on a set.

If the valving is the same as the 4600s I might stick with the 4600s. Though I was going to try the raising the truck's front end by an inch. But I'm not sure the 5100s would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back