Smoother ride option for Tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2014 Tahoe LS with ZW7 "Premium smooth ride" option. The rear shocks are self-leveling Nivomat type. I generally like the ride, however it becomes quite harsh on the "laundry board" type of surface. I'd like it more plush.
I'very been thinking about replacing stock Nivomats with something like Gabriel Ultra Truck G-Force shock that has mechanical variable damping ability. Together with stock "softer then normal" springs it should give me desired smoothness.
However, stock springs are soft because Nivomat shocks have load-bearing ability. So the truck should sink some in the rear after the switch to G-Force. But the rear of the truck sits quite a bit higher then front in stock configuration. I will never tow anything or haul heavy loads. So the truck might get leveled in the process, not that I care too much about aesthetics. I am mostly concerned with the handling after I switch shocks. Would non-Nivomat type shocks with stock springs be detrimental in that regard?
Thank you for your thoughts!

50% or ride comes from tires and sidewall flexibility. The bump has to get through teh tire before any mechanical part gets into the action. The best way to get a plusher ride is to increase sidewall aspect ratio and sidewall flexibility.

Going from a 17" wheel back to a 16" or even a 15" and buying bigger balloon tires to match so the overall diameter stays the same will yield more ride comfort. You will give up some handle. But, it need not be extreme. And if you are using as a daily driver and not doing the mountain road slalom every day it won't matter much anyway
smile.gif

Thank you for your replies guys. I have stock 17" rims and Cooper Discover AT/W All-Weather tires. Other then somewhat elevated noise, they are great, summer and winter. Didn't notice the difference in ride quality vs stocks.
Shocks are much cheaper alternative to new rims and tires, and easy to swap. I was hoping that I can get away with normal shocks that suit my needs better then stock ones...

As already echoed, I would work on getting more comfortable tires before replacing shocks and springs. Also keep in mind you're driving a truck based SUV. It is never going to be as smooth as a caddy but replacing the tires with something with a softer sidewall will make a big difference

Originally Posted By: yugrus
Thank you for your replies guys. I have stock 17" rims and Cooper Discover AT/W All-Weather tires. Other then somewhat elevated noise, they are great, summer and winter. Didn't notice the difference in ride quality vs stocks.
Shocks are much cheaper alternative to new rims and tires, and easy to swap. I was hoping that I can get away with normal shocks that suit my needs better then stock ones...

Thanks for the clarification. Check out gabriel Ultras. We use them on Yukons, Silverados, and 3500 Savanas with great results!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
50% or ride comes from tires and sidewall flexibility. The bump has to get through teh tire before any mechanical part gets into the action. The best way to get a plusher ride is to increase sidewall aspect ratio and sidewall flexibility.

Going from a 17" wheel back to a 16" or even a 15" and buying bigger balloon tires to match so the overall diameter stays the same will yield more ride comfort. You will give up some handle. But, it need not be extreme. And if you are using as a daily driver and not doing the mountain road slalom every day it won't matter much anyway
smile.gif

+1

About 15" rims, will they clear the rotors? Just asking. Also, I can't imagine a 2014 Tahoe with 15" rims, that just ain't going to look right.

You will change the handling of the Tahoe by doing what you describe, the front and rear were designed in balance and you're going to change that balance. You'll probably also get a fault light of some sort on the dash when you disconnect the shocks. Is there a way to let the air out of the system now and drive the washboard roads to see what the ride is like? This topic has been discussed on Tahoe forums somewhere, maybe see what others are doing for real ideas instead of our guesses?

Found this: Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self-contained, self-leveling Nivomat shock in the rear. ZW7 equipped trucks come with a softer spring in the rear since the Nivomat self-leveling system does some of the work of holding the truck up. Replacing a ZW7 Nivomat unit with a standard shock requires also replacing the spring, otherwise the truck will sag in the rear and have a much harsher ride and potentially dangerous handling.

Drive the washboard faster and it will smooth out. Same idea as mentioned about tires above.

Gabriel ultras are good shocks , but they will not be any better than the nivomats when providing a plush ride. Driving on a washboard road will make any vehicle ride rough.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Found this: Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self-contained, self-leveling Nivomat shock in the rear. ZW7 equipped trucks come with a softer spring in the rear since the Nivomat self-leveling system does some of the work of holding the truck up. Replacing a ZW7 Nivomat unit with a standard shock requires also replacing the spring, otherwise the truck will sag in the rear and have a much harsher ride and potentially dangerous handling.

I've had Nivomats on my sig car since August of 05. Great product. They are exactly as stated in your excerpt above, completely self contained. No air lines, no trouble codes, no connections to anything except the body and the wheel. They can easily be replaced with any shock, all you would lose is your heavy load capability and the incredible ability to self level powered by the motions of the body.

Last edited:
You may be surprised by how much it sags without the Nivomats. Old Volvo 940s with them would really sag when the Nivomats went bad.

I'd leave the Nivomats, but if I were to replace them with normal shocks, I wouldn't do it without changing the springs.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
About 15" rims, will they clear the rotors? Just asking. Also, I can't imagine a 2014 Tahoe with 15" rims, that just ain't going to look right.

You wanna talk about not looking right?
I saw an Escalade on 15 inch wheels with cushy, tall sidewalls in downtown Vancouver last week.

crazy2.gif

Your not gonna get a smoother ride over washboard with cheap shocks. The only things that improve ride over that type of road is full air ride like say Bentley uses or a suspension setup like the ford raptor. Neither option is cheap. Driving faster makes the ride smoother but works the suspension more. Myth busters did an episode on it.
You could add some weight to the back. That can help. Best thing to do is to drive another vehicle over the same road.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You can always go the Ford Explorer route and deflate the tires dangerously low!~

Speaking of tires. Usually a P metric tire gives a better ride than an LT tire

You cannot replace the Nivomat units with standard shocks as they do not support any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back