Kerosene and diesel fuel engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the title says. I've heard you pour depending on how sludged up the engine is due to its potency. So if your engine is bad just start with mixing half a quart to a quart in max. And from there you can do different types of mixes later down the line. Like 50% kerosene, 50% oil. Let the car idle anywhere between 10-20 min. Then drain and fill with new oil and filter.

General census of the 'old heads' (ages 60's-70's) I've talked to tend to go by using this stuff. That all these new motor flushes on store shelves are [censored] and marketing schemes.

What's your opinion on using kerosene or diesel fuel for an engine flush?

That is what they did. But look at what the quality of the oils they had. I know when Shell Rotella came out everyone was warned not to do a full change to it because it could dislodge all the gunk.

Those solvents are very strong on the aspect of ruining lubricity. And not that good on dissolving the old baked crud and varnish. I would't try more than 10 to 20% even at idling only, never. The crud won't be dissolved, but maybe dislodged in chunks and moved around the parts causing wear and/or pickup clogging, specially at yours Caprice level.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gallydif
General census of the 'old heads' (ages 60's-70's) I've talked to ..

Perhaps their consensus on religion, sex and politics would be more helpful?

Are you sure the engine needs flushing? Most people think their engine is neglected but it ends up being very clean.

If it's soft sludge it's going to be released too fast and plug something up. If it's hard sludge the solvents won't do much at all.

Sludge removal requires having the engine torn apart to do properly, if you want to do anything while the engine is together just do yourself a favor and change the oil and filter more frequently.

The Car Talk guys have mentioned this on their show and while they said others had gotten it to work, when they used it, they trashed the engine.

I would not do it. Amsoil Flush, sure. OK Auto-Rx or synthetic oil.

Don't make it complicated if you choose to flush just use the Napa Engine Oil flush it works great and it's ingredients are not risky like other brands.
TOTO.

I would use motor medic 5 min flush before kerosene or diesel fuel. I have used it w zero problems. Multiple short OCIs have worked for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back