2011 Rover LR4 5.0 - 16,988 mi. - Motul Xcess 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA for a customers 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 w/92,719 mi on a 16,988 mi drain interval. Driving is a 50/50 city/hwy mix and driven in the Southeast US. Oil used is Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40. The vehicle was only 3/4 Qt. low on oil when changed, with no top-off oil added for 17K!

zilgZEF.jpg

That looks pretty good with all the information you provided. Curious about few things, how many quarts of oil motor take? What kind of filter was present?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
8L crankcase I believe....17K and no make up oil.
Spectacular!

You are prolly right. Because some of these V8 ones take 8-8.5Qts and have a huge sump, so even if they are low by 1/2-3/4 qt, does not make a huge difference. But results are really good!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
That's the Jag V8, right? Big sump.

Doesn't that engine spec 5W-20?

It does. The customer was impressed with the results he saw in a few other vehicles of ours and requested it. I advised of it being a non-spec oil, but he didn't care.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
That looks pretty good with all the information you provided. Curious about few things, how many quarts of oil motor take? What kind of filter was present?

Bluestream is correct, 8L. We used a Mahle OX774DECO.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
8L crankcase I believe....17K and no make up oil.
Spectacular!

You are prolly right. Because some of these V8 ones take 8-8.5Qts and have a huge sump, so even if they are low by 1/2-3/4 qt, does not make a huge difference. But results are really good!
A 3.5 L Toyota V6 takes 6.5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

It does. The customer was impressed with the results he saw in a few other vehicles of ours and requested it. I advised of it being a non-spec oil, but he didn't care.

Bluestream is correct, 8L. We used a Mahle OX774DECO.

Thanks so much for sharing, very helpful information. One last bit, any idea how long did the oil stay inside the motor?

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't care either. It would be interesting, if entirely inconclusive, to see wear results using the recommended SLX 5W-20.

Edit: I just checked out your shop online. Nice place! Next time I'm out that way we'll put some Motul in the Phaeton for fun. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The average from BlackStone may be on the recommended 5w20, same wear at 9k miles, or almost double. For me that's saying thinner isn't better, rsrsrs. That is If viscosity (the single most important characteristic of a lube) was responsible or the Motul oil is superior.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing, very helpful information. One last bit, any idea how long did the oil stay inside the motor?

You're very welcome. The oil was added on 20APR16 and changed on 30DEC16. Just a few days shy of eight months.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't care either. It would be interesting, if entirely inconclusive, to see wear results using the recommended SLX 5W-20.

Edit: I just checked out your shop online. Nice place! Next time I'm out that way we'll put some Motul in the Phaeton for fun. :thumbup:

Thank you! We can definitely do that. I was actually restocking filters for Phaetons (and a few other VAGs) just earlier. I'd also like to see some UOAs with the 5W20. I'm willing to bet that the viscosity is more of a compromise with fleet mpg/emissions in mind. Those heavy vehicles need all the help they can get to raise that fleet mpg average.

I say you tell the owner to do a 17k run with Walmart Supertech 5w20 for a comparison, in the name of science and BITOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back