simple comparison from OEM Nissan To Fram TG7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally got a chance to cut these open.
The OEM is the newer Mexican Made fiter. The Fram is Fram`s latest TG7317. I KNOW the ultra is better, I just don`t need that filter.

anyway, here is the results.
OEM Nissan filter 2718 miles.
Fram TG7317 fiter 1731 miles.

engine, 5.6VK

OEM Nissan:
51 evenly spaced pleats
metal endcaps
soft pliable ADBV

461985d1484155539-oil-filter-comparison-p1070570.jpg

461993d1484155583-oil-filter-comparison-p1070567.jpg

462001d1484155607-oil-filter-comparison-p1070569.jpg

462009d1484155628-oil-filter-comparison-p1070573.jpg

Fram TG7317
48 uneven pleats
mushy media end caps
considerably stiffer ADBV

but you guys already knew this...

462017d1484155703-oil-filter-comparison-p1070572.jpg

462025d1484155729-oil-filter-comparison-p1070571.jpg

462033d1484155748-oil-filter-comparison-p1070574.jpg

I like the base plate design of the Fram, but...

Those Nissan filters are pretty good looking. I would like to know filtration numbers, but I would still use the Fram without a second thought. It appears to have done its job.

On a filter that is not fully synthetic media, I would prefer end caps made out of filtering material. It adds the ability for extra flow and extra holding capacity.

Now with all things equal which filter would allow longer life and can it be proved? Also which filter is the higher quality filter?

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Those Nissan filters are pretty good looking. I would like to know filtration numbers, but I would still use the Fram without a second thought. It appears to have done its job.

On a filter that is not fully synthetic media, I would prefer end caps made out of filtering material. It adds the ability for extra flow and extra holding capacity.

I would think so for both with being very low OCI`s. at that point, any filter would do the job realistically. it comes down to owner choice.
I have a few Napa Gold and a few more OEM`s in stock for the next OCI...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Now with all things equal which filter would allow longer life and can it be proved? Also which filter is the higher quality filter?

good points.
I`ve never had a oil filter fail, never kept anything in or on longer than 5-7K. Used a of of the OEM for Nissan and Toyota.

for aftermarket, had a few Amsoil, usually used wix made Carquest/Napa filters in the past.

Filter manufacturing is always changing and always moving.

IDK who makes the OEM Nissan`s or the TG`s...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Nissan definitely looks superior. I usually always use Nissan OEM.

I don`t want to start a debate about louvers and holes yada yada yada, but being an Amsoil ( and Hastings) person from back in the day when their filters where marked as SDF, that`s when it was the first time I saw louvers and started using them with no issue. I did have one bad on for the Ford 4.6 which resulted in start up rattle, and Amsoil replaced the defective fikter...

but anyhoo, I`m come across some readings where the dealer is using the taller filter in the 3.5`s. Our new Murano is due soon, and I have a few free oil changes.
curious to see what they use...

always the question lurks, which is a good filter for heavily modified daily drivers? better flowing, or better filtration.

The Nissan OEM filters for my car are the huge heavy built like a tank "Made in Japan" blue ones. I've never paid attention to the louvers stuff until I read about them in the filter section here. But my Nissan OEMs have large round holes in the center tube and the thick tight pleats are all perfectly spaced the same and uniform.

The Nissan OEM filters for my car are the huge heavy built like a tank "Made in Japan" blue ones. I've never paid attention to the louvers stuff until I read about them in the filter section here. But my Nissan OEMs have large round holes in the center tube and the thick tight pleats are all perfectly spaced the same and uniform.

I don`t see the blue ones here at the dealer or when I order a case.

I love FRAMs on my Hondas but the one time I used a TG on my Infiniti, the engine knocked. Maybe I got a bad unit, who knows. OEM Nissan filters have a nice weight to them and have never caused me an issue.

Last edited:

I think the fiber end caps on Frams is way too dense to flow any oil.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I think the fiber end caps on Frams is way too dense to flow any oil.

agreed. even though they most likely can survive their life cycle, they were pretty mushy for only 1700 miles.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Wix 57356
smile.gif

what does wix have to do with this thread? just saying.

The OEM filter certainly looks well made, but I like my filters to actually filter and I know what the efficiency of a Fram is. I don't know Nissan's but many of the Asian OEM filters have abysmal efficiency ratings.

Originally Posted By: PaleRider

I don`t see the blue ones here at the dealer or when I order a case.

Here's mine:

http://nissan.findlayauto.com/p/Nissan_1...&origin=pla

While I am sure those style Frams (extra guard and tough guard fiber endcap design) do the job I just think they look awful. I know that opinion doesn't mean squat about how the fi;ter truly performs. I just prefer metal end caps and nice pleats. I will not use any Fram filter except and ultra - which they felt the steel end cap design was superior enough to use on the ultra model. The other filters are built to a price point and that's what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back