Fram Ultra Efficiency @ 10 Microns

"According to Fram’s Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley, dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances. Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29...our-oil-filter/

“Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it’s 94 percent efficient.”

Very impressive!

For some comparison/context, here's what Royal Purple says about their filters:

99 percent @ 25 microns/80 percent @ 10 microns

Interesting I've never asked about this before but I've been told they're 80% @ 5 microns by Motorking which is the most impressive spec if you ask me.

The Fram Ultra is an example of the aftermarket product being far better than the OEM part. The OEM filters don't usually offer the same efficiency. One thing I would say is that the Royal Purple filter is not anywhere near a "poor performing" filter by any measure. In fact it is quite a bit better than the OEM filter in terms of efficiency. IF someone has a oil filter that is in a position where it could be exposed to damage from debris coming up from the road or say a gravel road the Royal Purple is "better" than the Fram Ultra. The can thickness/strength of the RP is the best available on the market.

If someone doesn't already know;
25.4 Microns equals .001 Inch.

Not to change the subject, but
that's kinda why I like having a Magnet stuck to the outside of my Oil Filter

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The Fram Ultra is an example of the aftermarket product being far better than the OEM part. The OEM filters don't usually offer the same efficiency. One thing I would say is that the Royal Purple filter is not anywhere near a "poor performing" filter by any measure. In fact it is quite a bit better than the OEM filter in terms of efficiency. IF someone has a oil filter that is in a position where it could be exposed to damage from debris coming up from the road or say a gravel road the Royal Purple is "better" than the Fram Ultra. The can thickness/strength of the RP is the best available on the market.

As for making comparisons to OEM filters, where have you seen data for those? I mean other than the one Amsoil chart that is always rolled out. As far as I know I've never seen such data published by the OEM. Have you?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
“Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it’s 94 percent efficient.”

Has this been verified by a lab anywhere, or just claimed?

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Many of the OEM filters are re-branded known aftermarket filters with published figures ifiak

Really? Which ones in particular? I know that such a cross-reference does not apply to any of the ones I use (Toyota, Honda OEM and BMW Hengst).

If you choose not to believe the test results from the "independent" study by Amsoil or anyone one else for that matter what does it really matter?? Nothing. No point in any discussion here.

If you choose not to believe the test results from the "independent" study by Amsoil or anyone one else for that matter what does it really matter?? Nothing. No point in any discussion here.

Anyone else? That's the issue, there is no "anyone else" other than the one old Amsoil chart. Does that even apply to current OEM filters? Without data being provided by the manufacturer I don't see how comparisons can be made.

Having stated that.... The OEM filters are not terrible, bad, garbage, will cause the car to blow up in 150k miles, will not cause ED, diarrhea, loss of hair, low T, high blood pressure, changes in behavior, changes in mood etc.
They are fine. They are not has efficient as the aftermarket offerings on average. That doesn't mean that they will be a bad option at all. Which does bring into question into effiency and how much is just overkill? Maybe just maybe a OEM filter that's say 80% at 20 microns is actually just fine. And that anything above that effiency of the OEM filter is just statistical noise.

I have seen different efficiency numbers for OEM filters over time but I am not interested in trying to track any of that down. My last post is what I think about the rest of it.... Pretty self explanatory. For the record.... I like OEM parts. I actually went to the Nissan dealership to buy my serpentine belt. Why? The original belt was still rolling good at 166k miles. Pretty doggone strong performance. I will need to replace my right side CV axle in awhile. I will definitely get the OEM Nissan CV axle. Expensive at $600. But well worth it compared to the aftermarket offerings.

Last edited:
Having stated that.... The OEM filters are not terrible, bad, garbage, will cause the car to blow up in 150k miles, will not cause ED, diarrhea, loss of hair, low T, high blood pressure, changes in behavior, changes in mood etc.
They are fine. They are not has efficient as the aftermarket offerings on average. That doesn't mean that they will be a bad option at all. Which does bring into question into effiency and how much is just overkill? Maybe just maybe a OEM filter that's say 80% at 20 microns is actually just fine. And that anything above that effiency of the OEM filter is just statistical noise.

OEM are better IMO since the more the efficiency of the filter, it get more bypass burst at high pressure differential, specially for colder short trippers and spirited drivers. At bypass the efficiency fall down to the floor, circulating lots of dirt.

I have seen different efficiency numbers for OEM filters over time but I am not interested in trying to track any of that down.

Well that's at least one more data point than I've ever seen. Former member "veryheavy" also made a couple of posts claiming to have seen multiple efficiency numbers for OEM filters, but he never provided links before he was sent packing. Maybe when he gets back he can post the information.

I also use OEM filters as I mentioned. And after all the miles I've gotten out of my vehicles I am not concerned either, it's just that when people make claims that can't be supported with actual OEM data I think it's still an unanswered question, not settled science.

Ohh heck yeah. Looking at how great your vehicles have rolled for well past 200k miles says a whole, whole lot. Can't beat that performance at all sir. At 200k miles I'd be very fortunate to have the opportunity to buy a car or truck taken care of by you. That badboy would run for a long time past 200k miles. Just like my step father's 96 Avalon that has 305k miles and is still rolling strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
As for making comparisons to OEM filters, where have you seen data for those? I mean other than the one Amsoil chart that is always rolled out. As far as I know I've never seen such data published by the OEM. Have you?

There's a good reason the OEM filter efficiency isn't usually advertised. One guess why.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
OEM are better IMO since the more the efficiency of the filter, it get more bypass burst at high pressure differential, specially for colder short trippers and spirited drivers. At bypass the efficiency fall down to the floor, circulating lots of dirt.

Have you rigged up your engine to measure delta-p to verify that? Read this thread ... it's pretty rare to get the oil filter to bypass unless your really revving high in freezing weather with cold oil.

Filter Bypass Testing by Jim Allen

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

Have you rigged up your engine to measure delta-p to verify that? Read this thread ... it's pretty rare to get the oil filter to bypass unless your really revving high in freezing weather with cold oil.

Filter Bypass Testing by Jim Allen

There are bypass valves built into the block, no way to know when they are active. Why people seek out these high efficiency filters is beyend me, Even a jobber filter will get your engine to 400K, at that point you are driving a 33 year old beater

Last edited:
Back