Oil filter with multiple oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Let's say you use your Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 EP for 2 or even 3 oil changes...
Do you remove the filter and drain out the old oil from the filter as well,

Yes, I do. About a cup runs out. I then fill it with new.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Leave it on. The filter gasket isn't made to seal, come off, and then seal again.

Why do you say this? I've been doing this for over 25 years. I have NEVER had one leak.

As an aircraft mechanic, I always cut open used oil filters (Most A&P's do).
I started running oil filters every 3-4 oil changes in the early 90's after repeatedly cutting multiple oil filters open and never finding any significant debris in them.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul

My maintenance plan was simple...I ran Mobil 1 EP with a Fram Ultra filter to 15000 miles. Drained the oil, left the filter and ran another 15000 miles. My filter saw an honest 30000 miles. At each 30000 mile interval I would change the oil, oil filter, and air filter.

This sounds ideal. In my experience, I see no issues at all with this scenario.

I always remove the filter and let the oil out...wipe the flange on the block clean and re install...the gasket on any oil filter is very robust and does not leak or wear out...

I also remove and drain the filter, then reuse it. It gets a new filter every other oil change. I have never had one leak.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Let's say you use your Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 EP for 2 or even 3 oil changes...

Do you remove the filter and drain out the old oil from the filter as well, or just drain the engine and let the little amount of oil in the filter mix in with the new engine oil?

I loosen the filer, then re-tighten. Many vehicles today are designed so the filter sits in a manner where half of it's contents will depart. Also a number of vehicles exist today that are designed with oil channels that sit right above the top of the filter threads. These oil channels will empty also.

So in most cases today, no need to remove the old filter, then re-tighten it. Just loosen it half-way, then tighten it.

Also, I don't oil my filter gasket, when I initially install it new. I use Gorilla Grease on the gasket and there's no need to apply anything more to the gasket, when re-tightening it. That particular grease is like an anti-seize lubricant. So it eases removal.
Sounds like a recipe to make a mess and get contaminants into the system/seal. If I went thought the trouble to mess with it I'd simply change it.

What trouble? What mess? I never said I had to relube the gasket either.
What's so hard about holding a small drip kitchen pan under the filter, to catch a few ounces?

Please explain why it's a mess? Hurry thou! I'm getting dizzy thinking of your wrong answer.
You answered your question better than I can. It's a few ounces of oil. It's not worth going through any trouble. You do what you like. It's not going to make a difference either way.

Revised after I left ... Prior to 2013 filters were every other time. And that was from my first exposure in the 1960's to my last project with them in 2013.

I'll dig for that article on retained oil. I lost track of it. may take a day or so...

Last edited:
Personally, I think the seal is the weakest part of the spin on oil filter. Have read about and seen with my own eyes seals sticking to oil filter housings even though they were oiled with fresh oil. Those seals get baked, and start getting hard just like nitrile ADBV do. I change the filter every time just because of this very reason, and I think it's a valid reason.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
New oil, new filter.

Bingo!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Revised after I left ... Prior to 2013 filters were every other time. And that was from my first exposure in the 1960's to my last project with them in 2013.

This very detailed report goes back to 2008: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Publications/Documents/UsedOil%5C2008020.pdf

It shows they were doing the same thing as in the 2015 OFAM document I linked to earlier: 6,000 mile oil and filter change

Their recommendation (from field testing/analysis, which data of is included) was to go to a 10,000 mile oil and filter change, but this was never adopted.

Again, if you could please link/show anything (other than your own posts
wink.gif
) discussing the every other time filter change by California, I'd certainly like to see it.

Look at your engine's rebuilt oil quantity vs. oil change vs. oil & filter change for sake of argument.

Here's my Honda K24Z1
5.7qts rebuild
4.4qts oil & filter
4.2qts oil only.

.2qts is not enough to worry about loosening the filter then having a dry start after breaking the vacuum in the system...plus the mess. My filter is base down so that means oil dripping down the filter. Fram says that my car is fine going 20k+ between filter changes because that's the OEM way. I don't know about you but I would rather run a FU than a Honda A02/A01 for 20k.

To those who change the filter after the oil...my particular engine has 1.3 quarts sitting around that CANNOT be drained. 25% of the oil is old...even with a filter change! Plenty of old oil and additives to mix with the new oil and additives.

It makes sense to me.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
If hand tighted, the gasket can withstand a lot of installments.

Exactly, even if over tightened they still are fine. If your gasket is baked, then you have some series overheating issues to deal with. I agree that it likely makes little difference, but there is no harm in draining 1/2 quart extra and this gasket not sealing is just not a valid argument. Keep in mind removing the filter, drains the oil gallery near the filter. Much more oil comes out than whats in the filter....as far as being messing, that what drain pans are for.

Gasket won't reseal? Ok, that's paranoia. I agree, if not overtightened, you will be able to reuse it without a problem. If the gasket isn't "reusable", then that's not a very good filter.

To me it's like changing underwear. Do you take a shower then put your old dirty shorts back on? No, so why put fresh oil in with an old dirty filter? One filter, one OCI for me. No matter how good a filter is, it doesn't feel right leaving an old used filter on with fresh clean oil in the engine. Filters aren't that expensive so why bother trying to stretch the dollar every oil change?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
To me it's like changing underwear. Do you take a shower then put your old dirty shorts back on? No, so why put fresh oil in with an old dirty filter? One filter, one OCI for me. No matter how good a filter is, it doesn't feel right leaving an old used filter on with fresh clean oil in the engine. Filters aren't that expensive so why bother trying to stretch the dollar every oil change?

Why throw away something before it's finished its useful life? Do you throw away a half used tube of tooth paste? If the filter is rated for 15,000 miles it can stay on for 15,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back