Volvo CV Joint Grease-Inner (Yellow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disassembled my front passenger CV axle to clean and replace grease and boots with Volvo OEM boot kits I ordered and before I tightened the clamps on both boots, as I was moving the axle from one location to another, the inner boot popped off and the fresh thin yellow inner joint grease dumped out. Contaminated with who knows what I couldn't just scoop it up and put back in the axle. Volvo parts department doesn't sell just this grease. Both inner and outer grease packs (outer boot grease was dark grey thick moly ) were labeled as manufactured by Ford; the inner boot packed labeled as "G-PS".

Besides buying another expensive Volvo boot kit, where in the world can I can get this stuff or something similar in composition that would be compatible with what's currently in there? I would hate to have to disassemble again to reclean in the event the replacement grease is possibly incompatible with what thin light yellow (Ford G-PS) grease is still in there.

Packet states the following: "Contains Reaction products of 4-methyl-2-pentanol and diphosphorus pentasulfide, propoxylated, esterified with diphosphorus pentaoxide, and salted by amines, C12-14-tert-alkyl."

Neither Volvo nor Ford parts departments can get this. A Google search for Ford G-PS grease only turns up an MSDS sheet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Chances are you have tripod inner CV joints. The grease used is polyurea grease from the factory on Volvo/Audi/VW and others. Always looks like water contamination in the grease but it is not, just a different color and consistence.

I use John Deere SD polyurea grease on tripod CVs..no issues. JD says it is compatible with most other types of grease.

See if you have a John Deere store nearby to source or online.

Indeed, it is a tripod style bearing. Is the John Deere grease consistency thin? I noticed it is green, which doesn't concern me as much, but I suspect their chemical composition might be different.

MSDS for John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease states:
Solvent Refined Heavy Paraffinic Distillate
Polyurea thickener
Calcium carbonate

MSDS for John Deere Special-Purpose Corn Head Grease states:
Solvent Refined Heavy Paraffinic Distillate
Solvent-dewaxed Residual Oil
Polyurea thickener
Calcium carbonate

Both of these appear very different from the MSDS for Ford G-PS grease and what is stated on the packet:
Contains Reaction products of 4-methyl-2-pentanol and diphosphorus pentasulfide, propoxylated, esterified with diphosphorus pentaoxide, and salted by amines, C12-14-tert-alkyl.

I also found a grease compatibility chart that also states polyurea grease is incompatible with essentially all other greases:
http://thelubricantstore.com/grease-compatibility-chart

It appears if I were to switch to John Deere grease I would have to disassemble and clean out all traces of Ford G-PS grease to be safe. I'd rather not have to do this if at all possible.

Thoughts?

On the website John Deere says about the Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease :
Ideal in rolling-contact applications
· -15 to 350°F (-26 to 177°C)
· For high-temperature, extreme-pressure conditions
· Used for initial lubrication at the factory in U-joints and axle bearings
· For excellent protection in corrosive and wet conditions
· Compatible with most other types of grease
· Excellent for all-purpose applications, especially those requiring a severe-duty grease
· Our best multi-purpose grease

Most Polyurea grease will not play well with other greases ..the JD grease is formulated to be less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back