Carl Edwards retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard that when I got in the car this morning on NASCAR radio. Pretty big news, but not really surprising. There had been rumblings that a "big name" driver would be retiring before the start of the season. Assuming he is just tired of the schedule and wants to do something else then good for him, I wish him all the best. Hopefully there isn't anything medically making him call it quits. He is a great driver and even better ambassador for the sport.

No matter the reasoning I wish the best of luck to him in whatever his plans are in the future racing or other ventures.

I do like Carl most of the time but maybe this explains his less than skillful driving by crashing Joey Logano in Miami last year he probably knew he wouldn't be back!
TOTO.

I have believed for a long time Joe Gibbs is under pressure to get Daniel Suarez in a Monster Energy car as Yarris is a Mexican company worth hundreds of million of dollars!

I have a hard time believing Carl will retire but we will know more this morning, my thoughts for 2018.

*Hass Stewart Racing in a 4th car back with FORD and Subway as Subway loves Charl they are both health conscious.

*new Dodge effort.

*Replace Dale Jr as he is one accident away from retirement, regardless of an accident his driving career is near the end.

TOTO.

I wonder when Stewart / Haas will get rid of that worthless Danica Patrick, and put someone in that car who can actually DRIVE? All she ever does out there is run laps for a paycheck.... If she doesn't crash out. If she were a man, she would have been out of NASCAR years ago. She's always had good equipment. But like Kyle Petty said, she can't do anything with it. Nothing but a waste of a good car and racing gasoline.

SHR will keep Danica in a car as long as there is a sponsor paying for her to be in a car. If she was actually terrible, they would have parked her. I can guarantee she can drive a stock car better than 99.9% of the people on this forum. This is not just a NASCAR thing, plenty of paid for rides in IndyCar and F1.

Listened to as much of the presser as I could with it being so early here. He said he wanted to spend time with family, do other things, and he was still healthy. He has all the money needed to live a comfortable life and said if he returns to racing, Gibbs will be is first call. I am happy for him. Kind of a hit since Smoke was my driver and my mom is a Edwards fan. It would be awesome to see him have a TV job, maybe take over for DW on Fox at some point in the future.

Daniel Suarez is a great talent and is even better for the sport. Having a Mexican driver in the MENCS is great for the sport and opens up an even larger audience. Having Arris sponsorship from Carlos Slim helps a lot as well.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I can guarantee she can drive a stock car better than 99.9% of the people on this forum. This is not just a NASCAR thing, plenty of paid for rides in IndyCar and F1.

That's not saying anything. The Cleveland Browns finished with the worst record in the NFL this year. Despite the efforts of no less than 5 professional quarterbacks. (Robert Griffin III, Cody Kessler, Josh McCowan, Kevin Hogan, and Pat Devlin).... ALL of whom can throw and complete passes better than ANY of the people on this forum. So what? Danica Patrick won only once in her entire professional career. And the only reason she did is because Helio Castroneves ran out of gas. Otherwise she never would have caught him.

Unlike female drivers before, and since, she has ALWAYS had good equipment. Rahal / Letterman, and Andretti / Green in Indy Car, and Stewart / Haas in NASCAR. No matter, she can't win. Most always finishing 20th or worse... If she doesn't wreck. If her equipment was given to any top ten driver in the series, they would have won, and won A LOT with it. The fact of the matter is that if it wasn't for her being a hot female, and somewhat marketable because of that, she would have been gone years ago. The fact she can drive better than people who frequent an oil forum is totally irrelevant. And completely meaningless. And please enlighten us as to when Danica ever started an F1 race? Especially considering the fact she isn't even qualified to possess the Super License necessary to drive a F1 car.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I can guarantee she can drive a stock car better than 99.9% of the people on this forum. This is not just a NASCAR thing, plenty of paid for rides in IndyCar and F1.

That's not saying anything. The Cleveland Browns finished with the worst record in the NFL this year. Despite the efforts of no less than 5 professional quarterbacks. (Robert Griffin III, Cody Kessler, Josh McCowan, Kevin Hogan, and Pat Devlin).... ALL of whom can throw and complete passes better than ANY of the people on this forum. So what? Danica Patrick won only once in her entire professional career. And the only reason she did is because Helio Castroneves ran out of gas. Otherwise she never would have caught him.

Unlike female drivers before, and since, she has ALWAYS had good equipment. Rahal / Letterman, and Andretti / Green in Indy Car, and Stewart / Haas in NASCAR. No matter, she can't win. Most always finishing 20th or worse... If she doesn't wreck. If her equipment was given to any top ten driver in the series, they would have won, and won A LOT with it. The fact of the matter is that if it wasn't for her being a hot female, and somewhat marketable because of that, she would have been gone years ago. The fact she can drive better than people who frequent an oil forum is totally irrelevant. And completely meaningless. And please enlighten us as to when Danica ever started an F1 race? Especially considering the fact she isn't even qualified to possess the Super License necessary to drive a F1 car.

Don't get angry over a team's marketing decision, being PC has nothing to do with it. They know their business far better than you and I, and they keep her year after year. I suppose if there was a better female driver around they might hire them, but so far that hasn't happened.

Let's face it the results are in for years now Danica > Point standings 27th, 28th, 24th & 24th I have to believe that is at the bottom of the teams that have high paying premium sponsorships, also she has had several driver coaches over the years many other competitors were never afforded this or needed it.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Don't get angry over a team's marketing decision, being PC has nothing to do with it. They know their business far better than you and I, and they keep her year after year. I suppose if there was a better female driver around they might hire them, but so far that hasn't happened.

I never said she wasn't marketable. In fact that's all she is. She can't drive worth a $h!t, that's for certain. Take away her female sex appeal in a male dominated sport, and she's got nothing to offer. And let's face it, the condition of her chest and a$$ can't be distinguished during a race. And that in itself isn't going to get her any wins. At least it hasn't yet.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Absolutely 100% agree not gonna bash her but it's actually embarrassing for her and just a joke in the sport.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Let's face it the results are in for years now Danica > Point standings 27th, 28th, 24th & 24th I have to believe that is at the bottom of the teams that have high paying premium sponsorships, also she has had several driver coaches over the years many other competitors were never afforded this or needed it.
TOTO.

NASCAR is a turd on TV and lots of older fans no longer follow it.

They keep Danica because she's hot!!
20.gif
If she ever got fat they'd probably show her the door haha.

Nascar is just a corporate retail chain like Dillard's or Macy's. It's all about $$$$

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nascar is just a corporate retail chain like Dillard's or Macy's. It's all about $$$$

I understand that. And even agree with it.... To a point. If NASCAR's sponsors lost money, they wouldn't be around long. But my gripe is there are a lot of young, talented drivers out there, who all would love to have a shot at Cup racing. But because of her, there is one less seat available for them. There are a lot of drivers who make it INTO NASCAR. But there are also a lot who have been shown the door OUT of NASCAR, simply because their talent did not develop the way people who supported them hoped it would have. Danica most certainly fits into that category with her lackluster performance at most every race she's in.

But Danica seems to be the timeless turd no one can flush. Her talent is not up to par with the equipment she has been given. Very EXPENSIVE equipment that another driver could actually win races with. Instead of wreck, or run in the bottom 20 with. But because she's hot, and the sponsors can make money off of that, she's given a pass to stick around.

It's the same in the Camping World Truck Series with Jennifer Jo Cobb. This woman is nothing but a danger to every other driver in that series. All she seems to do is cause accidents, as she gets lapped time and time again in every race she's in. No male driver would last with that kind of complete lack of performance. Yet she's in every race driving like it was rush hour, and she was in a taxi cab running on 2 cylinders. These women like the money and attention. And I can understand that. What woman wouldn't?

But if that's what their after become models or dancers. Not affirmative action NASCAR drivers. They'll be able to wear a lot less. The guys will get a better view. And it will be a lot cheaper for them to accomplish the only thing they really are good at. Which is keeping guys tongue's wagging. You can call me crazy, but I'm actually one of those guys who watch racing to see talented driving. If I want to see a bunch of bimbo's, I'll go to a strip joint. It costs less, and I'll see a lot more.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
... NASCAR is a turd on TV and lots of older fans no longer follow it.

I am 70 and I'm ready to pack it in, especially with the new format.
I used to road race... and I still do HPDE/track days. I've followed NASCAR, almost for no other reason than I'm in a fantasy league with family and friends.
While this may not agree with some, I didn't like that the NASCAR president endorsed Trump, as did some drivers. I do not care for the militaristic, nationalistic, "Merica" redneck side of NASCAR. Football is bad enough. I'm ready to dump it.

Originally Posted By: Scargo
I didn't like that the NASCAR president endorsed Trump, as did some drivers. I do not care for the militaristic, nationalistic, "Merica" redneck side of NASCAR. Football is bad enough. I'm ready to dump it.

With that attitude, I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did. There is always QVC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back