Mobil Super Synthetic vs Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into BJ's last night for some household supplies, and spied 6qt case for $20, Mobil Super Synthetic. From what I understand, it's a middle of the road snythetic. Is it "better" than Maxlife high mileage blend? Walmart has Maxlife at $17 and change; that makes this MSS slightly cheaper per qt.

I grabbed two cases as it's 3 oil changes, so I'm asking at the wrong time, but felt like asking anyhow. I might go back and get more; I'm not sure when I'll go back to 5k OCI's on this old Camry (depends upon what I find in the oil filter this weekend).

Car that I intend to use in is a '99 Camry, with a weeping valvecover gasket (which I'll fix, eventually). When I bought the car it had Quaker State (something) in it, and I don't think it had any leaks. I put in Maxlife, did 2,500 miles, found crud in the filter. Just about to 2,500 miles again, so I figured I'd change again, so as to reassess what is going on in the motor. Not sure what usage was in the past, I suspect short trips for the last few--right now it's spending lots of time on the highway.

You can go farther than 5k on mobil super syn. It might be considered middle of the road but it is still a very stout oil. I run conventional 5k. the super syn can easily go 6k-7.5k without issue. As a comparison I don't think it is fair because they are such different oils. One is a middle of the road full syn and the other is a partial syn with a high mileage add pack. I don't see it doing any harm on your weeping cover but for the price you got I would stock up and enjoy.

I believe that Mobil Super Syn is a full Grp III syn(Hydrocracked) oil. To me, Hydrocracked/Hydroprocessed oil is just really, really good conventional oil. The best conventional oil.

Both oils you are asking about(MSS/MLHM) are both really good oils held in high regard here at BITOG. Although MLHM is a blend(Grp II+) however, IDK if one is better than the other.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
You can go farther than 5k on mobil super syn. It might be considered middle of the road but it is still a very stout oil. I run conventional 5k. the super syn can easily go 6k-7.5k without issue. As a comparison I don't think it is fair because they are such different oils. One is a middle of the road full syn and the other is a partial syn with a high mileage add pack. I don't see it doing any harm on your weeping cover but for the price you got I would stock up and enjoy.

Yeah, I wanted to go 5k but after doing an early OCI I wasn't sure. I wanted to see first what comes out of the motor on this change. If it's got big chunks of carbon then I'll stick with a shorter OCI (although I guess I could just change filters, same effect). If less carbon comes out then I'll go to 5k. At 500 miles per week it does make a difference.

Originally Posted By: supton
Ran into BJ's last night for some household supplies, and spied 6qt case for $20, Mobil Super Synthetic. From what I understand, it's a middle of the road snythetic. Is it "better" than Maxlife high mileage blend? Walmart has Maxlife at $17 and change; that makes this MSS slightly cheaper per qt.

I grabbed two cases as it's 3 oil changes, so I'm asking at the wrong time, but felt like asking anyhow. I might go back and get more; I'm not sure when I'll go back to 5k OCI's on this old Camry (depends upon what I find in the oil filter this weekend).

Car that I intend to use in is a '99 Camry, with a weeping valvecover gasket (which I'll fix, eventually). When I bought the car it had Quaker State (something) in it, and I don't think it had any leaks. I put in Maxlife, did 2,500 miles, found crud in the filter. Just about to 2,500 miles again, so I figured I'd change again, so as to reassess what is going on in the motor. Not sure what usage was in the past, I suspect short trips for the last few--right now it's spending lots of time on the highway.

Mobil has a 7,500 mile gaurentee on Mobil Super Syn.

The Mobil Super™ Synthetic limited warranty is valid for 7,500 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-super-oil-warranty

That is a good price for a good oil.. I don't know why anyone would think it's a middle of the road synthetic i think Mobil is one of the top synthetics out there and for sure the best seller..You can buy Mobil oil almost anywhere. Max life is also a good oil although i prefer Mobil these days.

Yeah, I wanted to go 5k but after doing an early OCI I wasn't sure. I wanted to see first what comes out of the motor on this change. If it's got big chunks of carbon then I'll stick with a shorter OCI (although I guess I could just change filters, same effect). If less carbon comes out then I'll go to 5k. At 500 miles per week it does make a difference.

Why are you assuming this oil change is going to be loosening up carbon like that?

Walmart bumped MaxLife Blend to $19.51 per jug in my area. $20 for 6 qts of Mobil SS is a good price. I just use MaxLife in cars that tend to use oil and it helps.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Why are you assuming this oil change is going to be loosening up carbon like that?

I sliced open the Carquest filter, which had 5k on it, and it had a much smaller amount of carbon in it. I didn't take photos, my bad, I should have. The OEM filter (which shouldn't matter--but its ADBV was much superior, as the OEM had oil in after sitting over night, the Carquest didn't) had half the miles but something like 4x the garbage. 4x? dunno. I eyeballed it, but it was clearly much more, and with half the miles.

One of the pics from my other thread, showing what 2,500 miles on Maxlife had in the filter:

Then perhaps the same can be said of Valvoline Syn Power , QSUD , Castrol Edge , etc. - all Group III super conventionals ?
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I believe that Mobil Super Syn is a full Grp III syn(Hydrocracked) oil. To me, Hydrocracked/Hydroprocessed oil is just really, really good conventional oil. The best conventional oil.

Both oils you are asking about(MSS/MLHM) are both really good oils held in high regard here at BITOG. Although MLHM is a blend(Grp II+) however, IDK if one is better than the other.

I'm not a big fan of MaxLife. I have had great results with Super Synthetic. Go for which ever is cheaper. You might be able to find a better oil for less.

Maybe we can get two or three going, just to ensure one is wound up all the time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Then perhaps the same can be said of Valvoline Syn Power , QSUD , Castrol Edge , etc. - all Group III super conventionals ?
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Oh, absolutely! I believe that most synthetic oils on store shelves are GrpIII. And from what I have read/heard(don't know anything for sure):

Mobil Super Syn is GrpIII
Mobil 1 is GrpIII & GrpIV(PAO)
Mobil 1 EP is GrpIV

Other brands are similar, e.g. two different Castrol Edge/two different Pennzoil Platinum and On & On!

Can anyone confirm this ^^^?

Last edited:
Max Life is a "High Mileage" product and competes in that bucket. Never understood why people put that in new engines and say well, it's seal conditioner is different. For the ILSAC rating ? To me, HM is post warranty stuff ...
Leaks, Deposits, Friction, and Sludge. With OEM worry gone - opens to door to many good lubes and perhaps a grade change instead. Valvoline makes many good oils - just don't have the catchy name.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
A true comparison would be with Mobil SS and Maxlife full synthetic...

How about Valvoline Daily Protection Synthetic vs. MSS? Why compare an oil with a HM add pack to one without?

Full Syn Valvoline SynPower is supposed to compete with M1.

Wrong!
A true comparison would be Mobil Super Synthetic vs Valvoline Daily Protection Synthetic.

Perhaps, but I was going off of what I had been using, and what I was thinking of switching to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back