Oil Brand for '89 VW 1.9L Non Turbo Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'm about to get a 1989 VW Double cab pick up.. has a 1.9 non turbo diesel.. owners manual (of course) recommends VW oil.. I'm sure oil tech has changed sine 1989 .... looks like the weight for my part of the country will be 20w 50.. Not sure which brand of oil I should go with.. any opinions would be much appreciated.. truck has 53,000 on the clock..

Rob

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
I'd encourage to you start with any of the 15w-40's. Delo, Delvac, Rotella.

Good choices, change frequently. That little truck can get very good mileage. Had one for business and we ran it pretty hard till it died at over 250k

Off topic, these older vw diesels have a strong hold on a part of my heart.
The low miles would lead one to assume the timing belt would still be factory, Age mandates that it be changed.
This engine is a interference design, break the belt, strike pistons to valves, a difference kinda music, and rebuild.

Florida is warm year around, any 15w-40 will treat you well, Sae30 would be a great choice in your climate.
My family ran 1.5/6's on sae30summer and 15w-40winter.
I think a 10w-30 is a better choice over 15w-40, just not popular yet.

harvey

The cheapest name brand hdeo 15w40 you can find every 5-6K. They dont make enough power to hurt themselves and really dont care what kind of oil they have, they just need oil.

These are great candidates to run WVO.

First of all:
welcome2.gif
welcome to BITOG!

I am a Rotella T6 fan. Our local Advance has it for $22/gal. At that price, why not go with the better cold start performance of the synthetic?

Ever plan to drive it north of Florida? If not, in your climate, it really doesn't matter and any HDEO would be fine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
First of all:
welcome2.gif
welcome to BITOG!

I am a Rotella T6 fan. Our local Advance has it for $22/gal. At that price, why not go with the better cold start performance of the synthetic?

Ever plan to drive it north of Florida? If not, in your climate, it really doesn't matter and any HDEO would be fine...

Because Florida. Save $12 bucks on a gallon with some Delo 15w40 and buy some tacos and beer. You'd have to drive it north of the Mason Dixon line before that 15w40 would ever be remotely a problem in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back