Castrol 0W40 origin switched back to Belgium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at a Wal-Mart yesterday buying oil for my wife's Audi upcoming oil change and noticed the new 5qt jugs are now made in Belgium.

During the Auto Zone clearances about half the jugs were from Germany. I bought 3 and had 2 Germany, 1 Belgium.

All the AZ jugs I've fondled have been German origin...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
During the Auto Zone clearances about half the jugs were from Germany. I bought 3 and had 2 Germany, 1 Belgium.

Other than the place of manufacturing, nothing else seems to have changed. The mfg specs still appear to be the same.

IMG_20170109_162854-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
As long as they don't discontinue it I'm happy. It's a bit worrying that they don't list it on their website anymore.

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-stat...-motor-oil.html

Yeah. Instead, they list 5W-30 A3/B4 which is nowhere to be found in the US.

I actually see a "new" Edge 5W-30 on Amazon. It's in a gold bottle and lists LL01...

Edge 5W-30 LL01 on Amazon

Castrol's branding is so inconsistent compared to others. EDGE, Gold, FST, SPT, TWS, Extended protection, etc...

Last edited:
But, at least they have something to do with the relevant spec in the product name and on order sheets. If I want a 5w-30 A3/B4 from Wakefield Canada, there is no ambiguity. I won't accidentally select ILSAC 5w-30 or C3 5w-30, since they don't use weird lettering in product names and require a subtitle for people to somewhat figure it out. Castrol sells at least 7 versions of 5w-30 here, with GTX, HM, black bottle ILSAC, gold bottle ILSAC, A3/B4, C3/dexos2, and Elixion E6. There's no ambiguity for the line items.

Bought 6 qt from advance auto parts for about $5 each during sale. They are made in Germany. Maybe they are making it two diferent places now.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
As I mentioned in a earlier post, I don't believe Castrol USA no longer offers either 0W30 or 0W40.

You may be right about the 0W-30. I ordered a case from Amazon while it was on backorder. Got it 3 or 4 weeks later. Just noticed they are out of it again. Also too, it seems like it's MIA on many of Castrol's international websites. Bummer. There will always be suitable alternatives, but I've always felt comfortable using this in my BMWs. Actually, I prefer it to the 0W-40. BTW, that's 0W-40 in the jugs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G7PUMS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought 19 quarts for $5.50 each at Car Quest.

Scott

I notice QuattroPete's photo shows SN, while SLO's shows SL. Really old stock?

Also, fwiw, description fine print at Walmart's website states SN.

Just picked up 0W-30 at Car Quest as well. $5.50 a quart. I hope they don't discontinue it, because I only bought enough for one oil change on the Mini Cooper. Never been one to buy gallons of oil at a time for the sake of a deal.

Originally Posted By: folzag
I notice QuattroPete's photo shows SN, while SLO's shows SL. Really old stock?

Also, fwiw, description fine print at Walmart's website states SN.

The 0W-40 is SN, the 0W-30 is SL. It has always been that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back