Shocks/struts for 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has 93K on it now and the ride sure is rough on these back roads filled with potholes in PA!! It has the original shocks/struts on it and I started researching my options to try and soften the ride. Certain bumps really throw the truck around on the road and handling is poor. Granted, this truck has the Max trailering package on it which means heavier duty springs so maybe a shock with more "cushion" isn't going to help me much? I only pull an occasional 1 ton load of coal on a trailer with the truck so I am not concerned about payload or towing performance. I would however like to make for a smoother ride if possible. Does anyone have experience with Bilstein, KYB, Monroe, Rancho or the stock AC Delco shocks/struts and can offer their experience? What is the best option for the money or is it the old adage "you get what you pay for"?

that's tough because softer shocks can decrease the bumps and jolts but if you're hauling heavier loads you want something more heavy duty. I have Monroe Reflex shocks that have given my Equinox a solid ride and catered more towards trucks and heavier SUVs. They are a good tweener

The biggest factor in ride compliance with these pickups is tire pressure. Run it across a scale (get a weight for each axle), and then use a tire inflation chart.

In the meantime:
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/dodg...pse-comparo.pdf

5540, with 58% (3213) on the front, and 42% (2327) on the rear.

What tire size (and P, or LT) are you running? Have you made any mods/hauling anything (other than the aforementioned trailer) to increase weight over OE setup?

I have about the same mileage on my truck, same year, and the max tow package as well. I went with KYB MonoMax on all four corners. They are really great shocks! They are stiff enough for good control, but very compliant over rough terrain.

From my reading on the GM-Trucks forum. The Bilteins are the most popular. But as for ride quality as in softness I was always told that the Monroe will provide the softer ride but still give good control.

Being from Pa. the roads up there stink. Seems that one would go through shocks often. Not like down here in NC with the roads are in better shape and not so many R/R crossings to drive over. Shocks last a long time. I took the shocks off my 02 at 100k and put on the KYB Monomax. Not to much of a change in the ride. The shocks I took off where still good. So I basically wasted my money.

Bilstein shocks are the best.

Monroe Reflex, Tokico Trekmaster, KYB MonoMax and KYB Gas-a-just are all good, too.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

How are you qualifying that? I run 5100's myself, but in the off-road community, King and Fox are routinely considered superior choices...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

How are you qualifying that? I run 5100's myself, but in the off-road community, King and Fox are routinely considered superior choices...

for the OP's intended usage
smile.gif

DriveHard,
I was hoping someone would chime in that has a truck similar to mine. I also have the 6.2L and it runs like a horse! Bought the truck used last February with 89K. Thanks for the info.

Ramblejam,
Tires are Firestone Destination A/T in P265-70R17 The sticker on the driver's side door says the front tires are to be at 32 lbs and the rear at 38 lbs cold. I tried that and it rode terrible (like a tank!) Running them all at 32 lbs made an improvement but still pretty rough.

I ran Bilsteins on my 06 Denali XL and 99 Expedition, they rode much better than OE. The Monro Reflex I used on the Expedition blew out up front in a short time, they were garbage. For my money Bilstein is the way to go.

Someone said it already above - if it has heavier springs, softer shocks can actually make it worse - they won't be able to dampen the spring movement and you'll end up with that "horse carriage" feel where it constantly jiggles up and down.

Most aftermarket dampers are not tuned for vehicle variants. I would expect the oem to have a different shock for different spring rates on the same vehicle, but not necessarily the aftermarket. I ran into this with my tundra - it has a tow package and the TRD springs, and it rides pretty stiff. I replaced the oem bilsteins with the bilstein 5100s. The new bilsteins were softer than the oems, though they were much more consistent - so there was an improvement still in control.

You might try putting two 50lb bags of sand in the back and seeing if that makes it easier to live with.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I ran Bilsteins on my 06 Denali XL and 99 Expedition, they rode much better than OE. The Monro Reflex I used on the Expedition blew out up front in a short time, they were garbage. For my money Bilstein is the way to go.

Perhaps it was a bad shock. My reflex shocks have been taking a beating for the past 7 years with zero issues. They seem to be holding up very well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you own a real truck and do not at least consider the Gabriel Ultra then you missed the best value shock out there!

I agree with Steve. I've had very good luck with Gabriel Ultra's and Max Controls.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: Trav

Perhaps it was a bad shock. My reflex shocks have been taking a beating for the past 7 years with zero issues. They seem to be holding up very well.

No idea but I haven't bought another Monroe shock or strut since and probably never will, I would get the KYB before Monroe but prefer, Bilstein, Koni, Sachs, Boge (now same as Sachs, both are owned by ZF), Tokico. I do have Sachs gas struts up front on one GP with KYB AGX on the rear since Bilstein discontinued them for this model and they work well but they are not a cheap strut.

Originally Posted By: ejes
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you own a real truck and do not at least consider the Gabriel Ultra then you missed the best value shock out there!

I agree with Steve. I've had very good luck with Gabriel Ultra's and Max Controls.

We put them on 3500 vans with a GVW of about 9k every day all day! They really are a great shock, and amazingly cheap...

Decided on the Gabriel Ultras. I put them on the rear but waiting on a spring compressor tool I ordered to do the fronts. Seems to have made a slight improvement in ride especially when hitting a bump going around a turn. Will report when I get the front replaced. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back