New 2018 F150 Powertrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The new F-150 introduces an all-new, standard 3.3-liter V6 engine, with direct-injection for increased efficiency. The 3.3-liter V6 is expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 lb.-ft. of torque as the previous model’s standard 3.5-liter V6.

An all-new second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features advanced dual port and direct injection technology, reduced internal friction and improved robustness – all for improved levels of output, efficiency, quality and durability. Like the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be paired to the segment-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission for 2018.

The 5.0-liter V8 also sees improvements in 2018, as the naturally aspirated engine features significant upgrades for increased power and torque. It’s also paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission for the first time.

The 2018 F-150 also adds an available all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, designed, engineered and tested in-house and paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first-ever diesel engine offered for F-150.

In addition to the segment-first 10-speed automatic, the Ford F-150 is now the first full-size pickup truck to add automatic start/stop as standard equipment across all models and engines.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia...150-pickup.html

And because 1/2 ton crew cab pickups are now America's favorite large passenger vehicle, 3 (or 4?) luxury versions will be available: King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited.

No mention of a "Brodozer Package" in the press release.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
They certainly sound interesting. Lot of potential. I am eager to see how they will handle in the "real world."

+1 I'll let the early adopters report back.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

whistle.gif

Hey, they've got to leave something for the aftermarket...

More specs on the diesel would be interesting.

Auto stop/start standard across the line.... Yuck! Had a rental car with that "feature" for a week last summer, there was no way to disable it. Really disliked and didn't get used to auto stop/start, and I won't buy a car that has it. I'm too old school I guess...

whistle.gif

banana2.gif

Although I think it only makes sense to offer the Transit's diesel engine, economies of scale - but why hasn't Ford simply tweaked the 2.7L Ecoboost to a be a diesel, it's built almost like a diesel engine with a iron block...

Originally Posted By: nthach

whistle.gif

banana2.gif

Although I think it only makes sense to offer the Transit's diesel engine, economies of scale - but why hasn't Ford simply tweaked the 2.7L Ecoboost to a be a diesel, it's built almost like a diesel engine with a iron block...

Maybe they still have memories of GM trying this. Not to mention issues they've had with International based diesels.

I wonder if the 3.0L diesel is something from their European operations they will be bringing here?

I doubt a multinational corporation like Ford would need to kludge together a diesel. There is probably one that is in use in Europe, Asia or Australia that could be brought here.

That's an interesting question. I know diesels used to have sky-high compression, in order to start up. Today it seems to have come down a bit, for NOx. Still, given the high torque coming out, I have to wonder if peak cylinder pressures are well above what the gas engine would generate. That in turns drives for wide bearing journals etc. Which would be a power-loss (maybe not huge but still a CAFE consideration) for the gas engine version.

10 speed auto? My neighbors 4 speed in the F350 died first year of residential plowing my house. Maybe he didn't know whet he was doing. Or it was just a ford.

New F150 are fargly

Originally Posted By: javacontour
….I wonder if the 3.0L diesel is something from their European operations they will be bringing here?...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108...-in-summer-2018

Quote:
Details are remarkably scarce on the F-150's new Power Stroke V-6, but here's what we could pry out of the Blue Oval at a backgrounder for the refreshed 2018 pickup.

Despite the Power Stroke branding, the Ford-built, Ford-designed engine is a derivative of the so-called Lion engine family.

If that sounds just slightly familiar, it’s because Jaguar Land Rover dubs its version of the Lion engine in the U.S. and its U.K. home market the TDV6.

Beyond the Range Rover, the 3.0-liter Lion also motivates a variety of other vehicles not sold in North America, from not only JLR but also Peugeot Citroen.

In the Range Rover, the 3.0-liter is good for 254 horsepower, 443 ft-lbs of torque, and a 25-mpg combined EPA rating.

Instead of hard numbers, the Blue Oval is holding specifics until closer to the F-150 diesel's summer 2018 release.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Auto stop/start standard across the line.... Yuck! Had a rental car with that "feature" for a week last summer, there was no way to disable it. Really disliked and didn't get used to auto stop/start, and I won't buy a car that has it. I'm too old school I guess...
Yep it sucks.

Glad to see them adopting, if not leading in the new tech department. However, I wont be the one to test it out to see how they hold up long term.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Yep it sucks.

It's one of my favorite features on my truck.

My 2017 cherokee has auto stop/start.

I dont mind it. One button press taking aprox .75second disables it until the next time you start the vehicle.

Its not always appropriate such as high humidity low temp conditions.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Yep it sucks.

Call me old school too. Hopefully if I'm forced into that technology at some point in time there's an easy way to disable it, preferably for good. With all the stop and go traffic here that's the last thing I want.

http://articles.sae.org/15195/

Ford is aiming for 30mpg highway with the V6 diesel

Quote:
The 3.0-L PowerStroke V6, based on Ford’s proven ‘Lion’ family developed in-house for group use when Ford owned Jaguar Land Rover is currently offered in Range Rover models. The 84 x 90-mm bore/stroke engine features a compacted-graphite iron (CGI) cylinder block and aluminum DOHC heads. It is expected to enable the Dearborn automaker to claim best-in-class fuel efficiency for its highest-volume and most profitable model. The diesel will also be a significant step toward getting F-150 into federal CAFE compliance for MY2025, which mandates a minimum 30-mpg highway/23 city rating for vehicles with a minimum footprint of 75 ft2 (7 m).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back