Hyndai / Kia - Still No Oil Life Monitors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as GM and Ford have been offering electronic oil life monitors you would think all vehicles would have them by now ? That is the one main pet peeve I have with my Hyundai / Kia vehicles . The best they can offer now is a "set your own maintenance" schedule via the electronic dash ... What gives ? Are OLM's really that difficult to design ?

With all the reports of carbon buildup and such in the DI engines, I wonder if a lesser, rigid interval could be best?

In regards to OLM technology, I think its hard to perfect. BMW until the mid-late 1990s used an algorithm of cold starts, mileage and engine RPM to determine the OCI. AFAIK, the system they changed to after that, a fuel usage + in-sump "electronic oil sensor" calculate the OCI these days.
My vehicle uses the older of the two. Despite changing from all highway driving to a mix of city and highway driving, the interval has actually gotten minutely longer, if anything (THREAD

I do not know what system GM and other OEs use, but have people noticed it varying the OCI significantly between constant short-tripping vs. highway miles?

You are correct, no OLM. And as long as H/K continues it's current engine powertrain warranty, I don't foresee it changing any time in the near future.

The 6 month max OCI/FCI and including most any kind of driving as severe service allows H/K to keep relatively frequent oil changes. Many times that would be with relatively (as compared to many other manufacturers) low miles per oci.

So, I don't believe it's about not being able to design and implement an OLM. It's about no desire or incentive to do so with the current warranty. I'd say it's the price one pays for that heavily promoted warranty.

From a pure engineering perspective, programming an OLM is really straightforward with the amount of data that is generated during the development phases. However, engineering does not operate in a vacuum so when you bring marketing and other groups into the mix it can quickly become a mess.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I don't like nagging OLMs.
Rather not have any.

I'm not against it. It'd be nice if it was programmable, though. One could program theirs to go off at 3k, 4k, 6.5k, or whatever OCI they decide to run. I know I prefer to do 5k or 10k OCI's on the basis that it's dirt simple to remember when to do it--just look at the odo's 1,000 mile digit. Otherwise I need to write it down and stick it on the windshield.

As long as they have miles/time countdown, that's ok with me. The Corolla's is also a generic countdown.

Originally Posted By: supton
Rather not have any.

I'm not against it. It'd be nice if it was programmable, though. One could program theirs to go off at 3k, 4k, 6.5k, or whatever OCI they decide to run. I know I prefer to do 5k or 10k OCI's on the basis that it's dirt simple to remember when to do it--just look at the odo's 1,000 mile digit. Otherwise I need to write it down and stick it on the windshield.

Counting miles isn't really an OLM though. It's just a dummy distance counter. To me, OLM should encompass some kind of logic, either based on an algorithm or on a physical sensor.

Originally Posted By: B320i
With all the reports of carbon buildup and such in the DI engines, I wonder if a lesser, rigid interval could be best?

In regards to OLM technology, I think its hard to perfect. BMW until the mid-late 1990s used an algorithm of cold starts, mileage and engine RPM to determine the OCI. AFAIK, the system they changed to after that, a fuel usage + in-sump "electronic oil sensor" calculate the OCI these days.
My vehicle uses the older of the two. Despite changing from all highway driving to a mix of city and highway driving, the interval has actually gotten minutely longer, if anything (THREAD

I do not know what system GM and other OEs use, but have people noticed it varying the OCI significantly between constant short-tripping vs. highway miles?

1 They probably don't want to bother with the $$ it would take to develop until they have to. H/K also aren't as big as the major OLM users (GM for example.) I would change it based on the manual and set you "service minders."

Hyundai would rather scare you in at 3000 miles for their [censored] dealer service with [censored] dealer oil.

I know this is blasphemy...but I have enough nannies ( electronic and otherwise ) in my life so the idea of an OLM doesn't matter if my life is set by calendar schedule and not if there's 5% or 15% of oil life left. It just creates an anal episode where I have to wonder if I can redo my calendar to get 10% more oil life out of it and eff up something else that's not foreseen on that day.

The santa fe sport has a maintenance required countdown. You can set it as to your preference.

I somewhat wish my DD Hyundai has a 2nd trip. I reset the 1st trip when filling the fuel tank. I would use the 2nd trip for oil changes. But not a big deal as I do 5k OCIs on the odo. I think if it had a OLM I probably wouldn't go by it.

Originally Posted By: supton
Rather not have any.

Ford already has this feature available on their cars. I believe you can set the OLM interval to a percentage of the base number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back