PCV replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the PCV valve on my '99 Camry this weekend, as I broke plastic on it in the 10F weather. I picked up an Autozone valve and put it back together. Question: should I buy an OEM one? Sometimes you get what you pay for, and in this case I just wanted the car moving again. Not sure how "good" an AZ PCV is.

It was Autozone PCV2301DL, if it matters, not the Fram or any other brand.

Its made by Champion Labs, seeing how some Toyota's this vintage had sludge issues using the OE would let me sleep better, OE may or may not have some production changes done that isn't showing up in the aftermarket.

49.gif

I've heard/read that we should use only Toyota/Lexus PCVs however, if it works for you, keep it. Keep an eye on oil consumption and performance & mpg. If the engine doesn't feel the same as you remember, go for the OE although remember, it is now winter. But, you know how the engine was prior and only you can be the best judge of this.

PCV valves are something that I go with OEM for. I have tried other brands etc. and nothing seems to work as good as the OEM.

Quick look shows one at $10.21 on Amazon. I'll do a bit of looking, but it's not big money to get an OEM on order, just like I suspected--I wasn't sure if this would be one of those cases where "aftermarket is just as good as, or better than, OEM".

Thanks!

I would have just cleaned the oem one w engine degreaser and reuse. But since u already bought an Autozone one, just use it. I have used them on many vehicles and they work like normal

OEM is very close in price. I bought a Fram replacement first and then just bought the OEM one. Not sure how much difference it makes.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would have just cleaned the oem one w engine degreaser and reuse.

He broke it.

You bought it might as well get some use out of your money. Keep an eye on things and buy OEM if you suspect anything amiss.

You can always do a "blow" test.
It is a one way valve. So, it should pass air only 1 way.

Check Youtube for video.

In my last 2000 Camry, I have never used OEM but the aftermarket was still decent at that time.
I bought a Napa, it was still there till I sold (around 200K miles) it to a friend who ended up totaling it.
Nowadays, the OEM is more widely available through online sources so that is what I use if need be.

Last edited:
For Toyota, go OEM. On both my Corolla and 4 Runner, there was a big difference in idle quality with OEM.

I think some people who say clean it and use it forget that the spring can get "tired" and effect performance. Maybe I'm wrong?

Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
I think some people who say clean it and use it forget that the spring can get "tired" and effect performance. Maybe I'm wrong?

Many times the internal spring with break around 60k miles. But it will still move just not like it was designed. The aftermarket ones have an even thinner spring which usually breaks much sooner than the oem one. Fitment on the aftermarket ones is another reason to go oem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back