06 lucerne, whining power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently replaced a leaky hose on the power steering unit (2006 lucerne) and replaced the fluid with new GM cold weather PS fluid, now I have a whining noise even when sitting at idle and it gets louder when turning slow..any thoughts

Last edited:
Low fluid level is my first thought. You may have missed some of the old fluid, and/or it may have gotten some moisture in it?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Does the pump have a screen in the PS reservoir?

I was thinking the same thing. Clean out the reservoir (spray some brake cleaner inside and shake or around) or get a new one if the screen is clogged and you can't clean it.

If it wasn't whining before the hose replacement.....you either still have air in the system or it's sucking air around the hose. Spray some soapy water around the hose connections.

Some of these low block mounted pumps on the 3800 can be the biggest PITA to get the air out of, you have a real winner here. I made a home made stopper tool to use on a hand vacuum pump to get it out after going through the whole routine in the FSM, loosening lines and standing there on one foot with one finger in the air and still had the noise.

I'm not a fan of miracles in a bottle nor a fan of Lucas products but I have to admit....their power steering fluid works! I just did an 06 Impala for a lady who had the wine. I drained and flushed the fluid 2x and still had the noise and notchy steering feel. I then added the Lucas power steering "fix" fluid and the noise and notchy feel was gone in a few miles. The stuff works and I would try it. So far, the lady has driven the car 4-5 months and the P/S is perfect.

http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/lucas-power-steering-stop-leak

Here is the tool I mentioned, it cost a buck to make using a hardware store stopper big enough to cover the top of the pump fill hole, drill a hole through the middle, insert a piece of hard nylon tubing through it using WD40 as a lube.

With the engine off pump up about 20 in vacuum to draw the air up and out of the system, it will drop a few times initially then much slower as the air is evacuated, once its holding vacuum leave it a few hours, repeat as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back